Going 1x on a road bike

Rouxenator

I have been riding 1x10 on my MTB for a year now and it is working out great for me. I have a 11-36t at the back and a 32t NW on the standard Acera crank that came with the bike. So far it has seend 6000+ km of bliss

This weekend I did a ride on my road bike and was wondering if I can make it a 1x setup like on my MTB? My roadie has a 12-23t at the back and 30/42/52 FSA triple at the front. After some messing around in Excel I found my current 3x8 setup covers ratios from 1.3 (23t/30t) to 4.3 (12t/52t). 

If I put a 10 speed 11-36t MTB cassette at the back and a 48t NW at the front I cover that perfectly however that would mean new chain, derailleur and shifter. Sticking with 8 speed and opting for HG41 11-34t at the back gives me 1.4 (34t/48t) to 4.3 (11t/48t) and all I need a the MTB cassette and a 48t NW chain ring.

My two questions are : 

1) has anyone done this and is it a good idea?

2) where can I get a 48t BCD 130 narrow wide chain ring in SA?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been riding 1x10 on my MTB for a year now and it is working out great for me. I have a 11-36t at the back and a 32t NW on the standard Acera crank that came with the bike. So far it has seend 6000+ km of bliss

This weekend I did a ride on my road bike and was wondering if I can make it a 1x setup like on my MTB? My roadie has a 12-23t at the back and 30/42/52 FSA triple at the front. After some messing around in Excel I found my current 3x8 setup covers ratios from 1.3 (23t/30t) to 4.3 (12t/52t).

If I put a 10 speed 11-36t MTB cassette at the back and a 48t NW at the front I cover that perfectly however that would mean new chain, derailleur and shifter. Sticking with 8 speed and opting for HG41 11-34t at the back gives me 1.4 (34t/48t) to 4.3 (11t/48t) and all I need a the MTB cassette and a 48t NW chain ring.

My two questions are :

1) has anyone done this and is it a good idea?

2) where can I get a 48t BCD 130 narrow wide chain ring in SA?

Pretty much where CX and now all-roads bikes have headed/ are heading...

Doubt you'll need a NW on a road bike.

Edited by Ryanpmb

Excellent! So it has been done? I found a 48t NW BCD 130mm on eBay but was looking for a local option. Any sources?

Try kitted SA , they on the hub.

I might be wrong, but wont you need a mtb RD? As far as I know road RD's max out at 32 teeth.

Edited by Maniax

are you running sram? If shimano, you're going to have a flappy brake lever that will just annoy the heck out of me, with sram you can remove the LH gear lever for a clean set up, I did it and there's some tutorials on line, a bit fiddly.

Spez have some crit bikes for MY16 that are 1x specific. So its certainly coming!

http://i62.tinypic.com/rr2rs4.jpg

I am not sure what the capacity is of the current 8 speed Sora RD. It dates back from 2002 however it has been coping with a 12-23 30/42/52 setup so I am guessing it should be OK with a 11-34 x 42t setup? Otherwise I will need to get a MTB RD. 

Just ordered the 11-34t 8 speed HG-41 cassette. 

FYI Shimano 10sp rear derailleurs are not compatible with 10sp road shifters,

At the moment I am planing to keep everything the same, just change the cassette from 12-23t to a 11-34t and removing the FD along with the 30 and 52 blades.

FYI Shimano 10sp rear derailleurs are not compatible with 10sp road shifters,

Hmmm.... You sure about that?

You probably meant 8sp, to which I agree. 8sp RD isnt compatible with 10 speed shifters.

Edited by Maniax

At the moment I am planing to keep everything the same, just change the cassette from 12-23t to a 11-34t and removing the FD along with the 30 and 52 blades.

Check if you rd can handle the 34. I doubt it.... For a 32 you need a rd with a longer "arm". I havent seen options for bigger sprockets though...

are you running sram? If shimano, you're going to have a flappy brake lever that will just annoy the heck out of me, with sram you can remove the LH gear lever for a clean set up, I did it and there's some tutorials on line, a bit fiddly.

Spez have some crit bikes for MY16 that are 1x specific. So its certainly coming!

Do it properly. Brake levers and a bar end shifter... ;)

Oh wowzer, I've just seen my next n+1 bike. Crit bike. Brilliant.