So I bought an old Hansom to rebuild, now what?

Spirog

Confession time - I have very few mechanical and DIYskills.

I have bought an old Hansom to rebuild because I reckon it must be a hugely rewarding project. The bike is a Hansom Super Prestige with Mavic rims and Pelissier hubs. Weinmann 570 Top brakes and Shimano Light Action 2*6 gears.

I would like to restore it to look like it did when it came out the factory. Photos show the condition which to my untrained eye appears to be fair. It has some scratches on the paintwork but appears to be in reasonable running order.

So where do I start?

post-57883-0-99011800-1444721210_thumb.jpeg

post-57883-0-59263800-1444721211_thumb.jpeg

post-57883-0-95142800-1444721213_thumb.jpeg

post-57883-0-06144100-1444721215_thumb.jpeg

post-57883-0-80773400-1444721218_thumb.jpeg

post-57883-0-96057100-1444721220_thumb.jpeg

post-57883-0-87984200-1444721224_thumb.jpeg

post-57883-0-77458800-1444721226_thumb.jpeg

post-57883-0-41977600-1444721228_thumb.jpeg

post-57883-0-01627500-1444721230_thumb.jpeg

Guest notmyname

Strip it down and clean clean clean. Take your time doing this. I'd also recommend photographing anything that may confuse you when you reassemble. Bag/box and label all the removed components. As Ryan mentioned, if you can retain the original paintwork that's a win. Have a jol.

Send the frame to Bogus for a respray

Ideally, I'd like to keep it original. There are a few scratches on the frame, but I'll make a decision on a complete respray once I've given it a proper clean.

Get yourself this or one of the other products.

http://www.autosolsouthafrica.co.za/aluminium.html

Most motorbike shops stock this. It will bring back the shine to all the alu  on the bike. As for the paint keep it original. Maybe get a meguiers polish of some sort. If the spokes are rusty then get the wheels rebuilt. Try to keep it as original as possible

I see they have an aluminium cleaner. What do I do where there is text/branding on these parts. Is there a way to restore/replace these - like on the brake calipers?

Just check the instructions on that alu cleaner. I know there is one that is safe for painted surfaces, but not sure which

Take lots of pics.

Strip, strip and strip.

Take more pictures.

Strip everything:

take the brakes down to their constituent parts;

strip the derailleurs down as far as you can;

seat post, stem, bars and levers

clean everything in CLEANGREEN and then lubricate gently and put it all back together.

Clean the spokes and nipples using a wire brush, dremel is easier, strip the wheels if you have to.

Take out ali scratches using a fine sandpaper, say 800, if badly scratched use 250 first, then finer and finer.

Buff all ali parts and clean chrome with tin foil. 

Takes a long time, but VERY, VERY satisfying

ENJOY.

Post pics on the retro thread.

OK. I've stripped most of the bike and it leads to two new questions:

1. The paint work is quite badly chipped in a few places. Is it still better to keep it original and not respray? Or, is there someone, preferably in Jo'burg who could do a professional touch up job?

2. How do I get the text/decals (not sure what they're called) on the calipers, cranks and derailleur restored?

The bike is all stripped. Yesterday I took it to Annette @ Cycledelic who is going to respray it matching the original exactly. I'll keep you updated on what transpires.

I've spent lots of time polishing the chrome bits with tin foil. The rust spots are disappearing and shiny new bits are coming to life. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ideally, I'd like to keep it original. There are a few scratches on the frame, but I'll make a decision on a complete respray once I've given it a proper clean.

Try keep the paint original.

It retains Value, it is also very difficult to get the Hansom decals and tubing decals

Iv done a similar project like your wanting to do on and old Peugeot carbon its one of the first bikes to feature carbon in the frame it had aluminum and steel lugs with carbon tubes.

1. Completely dismantle the bike as far as your willing to go.

2. Give a nice proper warm soapy wash but be careful not to wash any stickers of if there is any.

3. With the paint I would personally just polish it.

4. Give the groupset a good clean with a degreaser.

5. Take your wheels to your LBS and ask them to true your wheels for you and maybe ask them to service the hubs (if their is play in the hubs) also put new tubes and tires on.

6. Reassemble the bike with the proper grease and lubricants. Put in brand new gear gable, brake cables, gear outer cables and brake outer cables just so that the bike will be a pleasure to ride.

7. Go ride your bike and enjoy it for what it is!!

Edited by @jamie_loots

• 3 weeks later...

I just collected my resprayed frame and fork from the truly talented Annette @ Cycledelic.

I am completely blown away by the quality of her work. I reckon the frame looks better now than it did when it left the factory 27 years ago!!

post-57883-0-73648700-1448540755_thumb.jpg

post-57883-0-59347200-1448540757_thumb.jpg

post-57883-0-26348300-1448540759_thumb.jpg

post-57883-0-18387700-1448540761_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spirog