Race report: 2015 WP Gravity Enduro Championship | Contermanskloof

ewaldsadie

The first edition of the Western Province Gravity Enduro Championships took place this past Sunday at the scenic Contermanskloof MTB Trails. With the trails still surrounded by green fields and colorful fynbos, the high speed, rough and technical terrain was a welcome change from the previous races. The field of 96 riders faced 4 stages - the 3 usual suspects and a mystery 1.4km long stage on Hillcrest thrown in for good measure. All the elements for a great race were in place - a well marked course, good weather, plenty of riders and of course, free beer afterwards.

Click here to view the article

Nice pics as always Ewald  :thumbup:

Did Mr Hamel get a DSQ for riding with his helmet like that on the liason?

not sure if you serious or not :P, but lets say you are: why would he get a DSQ? He is still 'wearing' the lid, if only the loosest sense possible, pun unintended! :P

Man what fantastic photographs! Great to see a nice cross section of riders featuring and looking like hero's! :) good work.

Cant wait for the next round!!!!

Not sure if there will any further WPGE rounds. Only enduro I know of is the 5th and final round of the dirtopia series.

not sure if you serious or not :P, but lets say you are: why would he get a DSQ? He is still 'wearing' the lid, if only the loosest sense possible, pun unintended! :P

Nah, I'm was being serious. I was under the impression that a helmet had to be correctly fitted (on your head!) at all times while you're on the bike, whether it be open faced or full face.

That said, I had a quick look on the EWS site and they don't spell out that the helmet has to be properly fitted (on your head), which I think leaves rules open to a lot of interpretation (which is never good). So it looks like you're off the hook  :whistling:

I guess technically they don't specify that it needs to be worn on your head, so you could wear it on your elbow then on the liason stages (as long as it fits correctly  ;))

EWS Rules on Safety Equipment:

post-3245-0-39374000-1444741406_thumb.jpg

Appendix 2 that they refer to above:

post-3245-0-54522100-1444741440_thumb.jpg

For completeness the EWS rules can be found HERE

Edited by Super_mil

It really was a great event! Big up to the organisers (now please sort the timing out or get a new timer!) and Thomas for the sweet video and Ewald for the rad photo's- Well done to Stefan for the win and all the riders for surviving the course and having the coolest attitudes and vibe in the sport. Great to see lots of people on flat pedals and sporting the appropriate protection.

Not sure if there will any further WPGE rounds. Only enduro I know of is the 5th and final round of the dirtopia series.

There is a round scheduled for 7 Nov at Cascades Manor if I'm not mistaken