Iwan Kemp

Offering a unique solution, the P1 pedals by PowerTap are self-contained units, having all the electronics and battery contained in a 196g pedal. As with other offerings, Look Keo cleats can be used, but they ship with with proprietary 6 degree float PowerTap cleats and hardware. They also offer a 0 degree float cleat option as an extra accessory.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard reports on other forums about poor battery life. A follow up on how long batteries lasted would be appreciated

The battery life on the PowerTap P1 pedals should last the average rider between 4 - 6 weeks depending on riding. The benefit of the AAA battery is that it is the second most common battery available in the world and fits in nicely behind the axle of the pedals eliminating the need for pods. 

Future firmware updates on the pedals should include extension on battery life along with active peddling dynamics. 

The bonus regarding the battery life is that you can buy a set of AAA batteries literally anywhere and relatively cheap. they can be changed on the road as well as you just need a 6mm allen key - which is found on 99% of multi tools carried...

I've heard reports on other forums about poor battery life. A follow up on how long batteries lasted would be appreciated

BicyclePower's reply below is spot on - depending on use obviously.

The battery life on the PowerTap P1 pedals should last the average rider between 4 - 6 weeks depending on riding. The benefit of the AAA battery is that it is the second most common battery available in the world and fits in nicely behind the axle of the pedals eliminating the need for pods. 

Future firmware updates on the pedals should include extension on battery life along with active peddling dynamics. 

Agreed

The bonus regarding the battery life is that you can buy a set of AAA batteries literally anywhere and relatively cheap. they can be changed on the road as well as you just need a 6mm allen key - which is found on 99% of multi tools carried...

True. Bonus is most, if not all, riders will have a multi-tool with them and to carry a spare AAA won't cost you a podium.

I'd probably have 2 sets of rechargeable batteries and cycle them. (See what I did there?)

For those interested here's a LED Indicator chart

?ui=2&ik=c88433d084&view=fimg&th=1505635

Something else I noticed while taking the photos: of all the road pedals I had on hand the P1's were the only ones that could stand on the axle. The others are all rear heavy and kept falling over and n doing so ruined my chances of a side profile pic of each.

May not have a massive effect, or at all, but the P1's are balanced front to back. Not 50/50, though. Probably closer to 40/60. Use it, don't use it.

Road clipless balance rearward to aid the rider finding the front hook for the cleat. It makes entry to the engagement more consistent. MTB pedals are dual sided so engagement is easier anyway

Looking at the bulk and compromise the pedal based systems have to work around I'm still leaning toward a crank based systems like stages or 4iiii Precision

Looking at the bulk and compromise the pedal based systems have to work around I'm still leaning toward a crank based systems like stages or 4iiii Precision

If I may ask - why is that your preference?

4-6 weeks depending on riding doesnt really mean anything does it?

Could be 4-6 months if I rode 15min every 3 weeks. I was looking for an estimate on hte number of hours of battery life. Yes I could easily replace the batteries, but I dont want to be doing that every 10 hours if possible.

Could be 4-6 months if I rode 15min every 3 weeks. I was looking for an estimate on hte number of hours of battery life. Yes I could easily replace the batteries, but I dont want to be doing that every 10 hours if possible.

The AAA battery is rated at 60h. 

60 hours. Says so in the review.  ;)

"The pedals are fully plug-and-play with the AAA batteries giving a claimed battery life of 60 hours" 

If I may ask - why is that your preference?

Firstly Left and right measurement is not a necessity.

Secondly all the pedal based systems seem to have big  compromises. Look and Garmin have the ugly potentially vulnerable pods and PT has the bulky look and high stack height.

Crank base systems look cleaner, offer excellent accuracy , consistency, repeatability and reproducability at a lower cost.

These systems are also quite a bit lighter and far less vulnerable.

"The pedals are fully plug-and-play with the AAA batteries giving a claimed battery life of 60 hours" 

at what sample rate is that battery life claimed?

My bad.