Buying an AM / enduro frame (or bike)

clyde79

I was looking through the Your Enduro Ride thread (https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/126041-your-enduro-ride) as I have been looking at buying another MTB, something with more travel.

There are some sweet rides in that thread but I don't see where people are getting the frames or even entire bikes from. I don't have anything particular in mind just yet but I was wondering where people are getting such a wide range of frames.

Are you all mainly importing / bringing them in yourselves?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hey Clyde,

I'll speak as one of the contributors there...

AM bikes locally are pretty well represented. Giant are great (Trance / Reign), as are Specialized (Enduro / Stumpjumper) and Kona (Process) Rocky Mountain (Altitude), Pyga, LaPierre and a host of others. 

Local guys offer the majority of frame only and / or full bike options, but mostly full bike unless you go with one of the "botique" options and build them according to your spec. You can do this with pretty much any bike, but it often lands up being more expensive than buying a full bike.

Your best bet would probably be to speak to someone like Jason at The Trailhead (for a pyga build of note) or Bibi at ZionBikes (for laPierre sexiness) or drop the guys at Dial'd bikes a line (for a Kona bike / frame) or Phia van der Meulen at Dirt Merchant (Transition / Banshee - HOT bikes) or your local giant / Specialized dealer to see what they can hook you up with.

The only ones we'd be bringing in ourselves would be the likes of Canyon, YT, Rose, and a couple of other direct sales boytjies who don't have local representation. But if you like a particular bike, ask away and we can tell you whether you can get it locally or not...

Happy trails!

Edited by Myles Mayhew

I was looking through the Your Enduro Ride thread (https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/126041-your-enduro-ride) as I have been looking at buying another MTB, something with more travel.

There are some sweet rides in that thread but I don't see where people are getting the frames or even entire bikes from. I don't have anything particular in mind just yet but I was wondering where people are getting such a wide range of frames.

Are you all mainly importing / bringing them in yourselves?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dirt Merchant in Graighall. Frame and full bike options. Speak to Phia 082 331 4878

Hey Clyde,

I'll speak as one of the contributors there...

AM bikes locally are pretty well represented. Giant are great (Trance / Reign), as are Specialized (Enduro / Stumpjumper) and Kona (Process) Rocky Mountain (Altitude), Pyga, LaPierre and a host of others. 

Local guys offer the majority of frame only and / or full bike options, but mostly full bike unless you go with one of the "botique" options and build them according to your spec. You can do this with pretty much any bike, but it often lands up being more expensive than buying a full bike.

Your best bet would probably be to speak to someone like Jason at The Trailhead (for a pyga build of note) or Bibi at ZionBikes (for laPierre sexiness) or drop the guys at Dial'd bikes a line (for a Kona bike / frame) or Phia van der Meulen at Dirt Merchant (Transition / Banshee - HOT bikes) or Ryanpmb for some On-One trickery (perhaps even a mix of what Bibi and I could offer build wise...) or your local giant / Specialized dealer to see what they can hook you up with.

The only ones we'd be bringing in ourselves would be the likes of Canyon, YT, Rose, and a couple of other direct sales boytjies who don't have local representation. But if you like a particular bike, ask away and we can tell you whether you can get it locally or not...

Happy trails!

:thumbup:

Thanks guys.

I'm going to head past the Trailhead and Dirt Merchant when I get a chance as they are around the corner (in JB terms anyway).

And I'll speak to the other contacts too.

Appreciate the help!  :)

Thanks guys.

I'm going to head past the Trailhead and Dirt Merchant when I get a chance as they are around the corner (in JB terms anyway).

I'm one of the owners of the Trailhead and work in the shop full time these days. So pop in and we'll set you up properly on one of our demo Pygas. You hop onto the Trail right outside our shop.

Sean.

I'm one of the owners of the Trailhead and work in the shop full time these days. So pop in and we'll set you up properly on one of our demo Pygas. You hop onto the Trail right outside our shop.

Sean.

We also have a couple of sweet Cube trail bikes too. You know that brand which does quite well at the Enduro World Series. :D

Thanks guys.

Good move to start at Trailhead...my unbiased opinion on Pyga :whistling: