Who here knows ANT+?

Vinnydabutcher

Hey Guys,

Quick question regarding ANT+

I looking to get a Garmin watch for the MRS - it is a run/bike watch with ANT+

The watch can connect with a SPD/CAD sensor.

My question is - will I be able to link it with the PWR sensor from the Wattbike?

Does ANT+ discriminate between what data is recorded?

If I link my 910XT via the PWR sensor it still gives me CAD & SPD - so by that rational - connecting via the CAD sensor should still allow that data to be recorded, right?

Please advise?

PS: I will try to link the Wattbike via the CAD sensor tonight to if it will accept & record PWR data.

Hey Guys,

Quick question regarding ANT+

I looking to get a Garmin watch for the MRS - it is a run/bike watch with ANT+

The watch can connect with a SPD/CAD sensor.

My question is - will I be able to link it with the PWR sensor from the Wattbike?

Does ANT+ discriminate between what data is recorded?

If I link my 910XT via the PWR sensor it still gives me CAD & SPD - so by that rational - connecting via the CAD sensor should still allow that data to be recorded, right?

Please advise?

PS: I will try to link the Wattbike via the CAD sensor tonight to if it will accept & record PWR data.

If you pair the 910 with the wattbike power meter, then it will record the power off the wb - you just ahve to search for the sensors to do the pairing - the only issue is trying to pair when there is more than 1 pm in close proximity.

Hey V12man,

Thats no problem.

Breaking my question down:

Can I record PWR data via ANT+ protocol through my SPD/CAD connection.

The new watch doesnt have a PWR connection. 

so basically:

watch - ant+

cad/speed sensor - ant+

power meter - ant+

They can all talk together. problem is, is that Garmin might have limited the functionality of the watch by software. They want you to spend more, and not use a low end watch to display high end stuff, just because the hardware makes it possible.

They learnt this trick from Apple.

Vinny...Vinny...Vinny....take a USB stick with a gooi it in before you start, it will record all your data etc that you can analyze to boredom at home  :clap:

My Forerunner 920 pairs without issues to WB, just make sure like Guy says, to connect to YOUR bike and not the one next to you. It will record speed, cadence, pwr. Doubt the garmin can record the pedal smoothness or left/right efficiency, but if you record everything to you USB drive, the data will be available at home using the WB software.

Thanx Shebeen/Foo,

Connecting my 910xt is no problem even pedal L/R.

I want to get the Mrs a 610 which can connect to CAD/SPD via Ant+

Wanted to know if it would be able to record PWR as well as the Mrs love her some stats!

I was afraid that the processing on the Watch side might be the issue - as Shebeen suggests.

Guess we will have to test and see.

Hey V12man,

Thats no problem.

Breaking my question down:

Can I record PWR data via ANT+ protocol through my SPD/CAD connection.

The new watch doesnt have a PWR connection. 

Not as far as I am aware - the watch may not have capacity to record power - but if it's a 910, then it does as far as I am aware (I can check this as I have a 910 and a few pm's)

Ant+ is a very specific protocol - very similar to some of the protocols your car ECU uses.

Thanx Shebeen/Foo,

Wanted to know if it would be able to record PWR as well as the Mrs love her some stats!

I was afraid that the processing on the Watch side might be the issue - as Shebeen suggests.

This suggests the 910 will have no problem:

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B519aceb0-0110-11e1-73d0-000000000000%7D

Thanx Shebeen/Foo,

The answer you are looking for is no, the 620 sounds like it will not be able to record power. 

It will only show cadence/speed.

Hope this cuts to the point

Thanx Shebeen/Foo,

I was guessing mostly, i don't didn't know the specifics of the Ant+ protocol, but have had a quick look.

Ant+ is hugely flexible, your 610 would be receiving the PWR BicyclePower--28x28.gif message, it will be decoding it. it won't display it, since it doesn't have that function. it might get stored on for later downloading(i'm not sure of that).

all found here - https://www.thisisant.com/developer/ant-plus/device-profiles

edit: here it is from the horses mouth - https://www.thisisant.com/directory/forerunner-610

edit 2: you can select which products from all manufacturers will display power.

https://www.thisisant.com/directory/

Edited by Shebeen

Ant+ = Bluetooth on steroids, its just a connection, its got nothing to do with what is being sensed (speed etc) or what the device on the other end is doing with it.

You need to look at the device's specs to see if it has recording functionality

Thanx Lads,

Got hold of the big boy at `thisisant`

The problem is with the 610 watch which cannot process a PWR sensor.

It can hear it but not understand it - kinda like Latin woman when she gets angry!

You cant upgrade the processor either.

Thanx Vman - im looking for something for the Mrs that is both GPS enabled and Ant+ for when she wants to do Wattbike session. She says the 910 is too big for her to run with.

920 is too much of a stretch for what she needs it for.

Thanx Lads,

It can hear it but not understand it - kinda like Latin woman when she gets angry!

Thanx Vman - im looking for something for the Mrs that is both GPS enabled and Ant+ for when she wants to do Wattbike session. She says the 910 is too big for her to run with.

Take a look at the Mio range of watches - I suspect they may have one that will be suitable

Thanx Lads,

i think your options are

garmin 310xt

fenix 2

suunto ambit2

interestingly bryton is not on the list, but mobii is. yup those smart okes from cape town who made this gem - http://www.mobii.com/systems.html mobii_Motion--300x410.png

Thanx Lads,

Strap a edge 500 to her wrist with duct tape?