[Event] CWC Durbie Dash

Doeda

Results are up, but they not correct. 

Agreed, the A bunch was too big and filled with people that shouldn't be there. Way too many riders were getting dropped on every small rise, and throughout the race people rode badly. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez, again so many crashes today. So sad. There seems to be so many taxi drivers riding bicycles these days.

Was a good race. Found myself in FGH combined group and knew this is going to hurt, espesially with the amount of A B and C riders in the group. Hammer was down from the start. I, and most fellow H riders and some G riders were spat out across the course. Lukily the IJ group picked us up. I bonked badly just before the silos, and TT'ed homewards after some bananas at the Klipheuwel waterpoint.There were about 4crash sites along the course. I seemed very very serious. It was from the DE group I heard. Hope the rider is ok.

Two bad accidents in DE on the Malmesbury road. One of my mates is in hospital with a broken collarbone and possible neck and back injuries from the first one. I am not sure if there were other injuries. I came off, but was unscathed as I managed to stay on my feet after dumping the bike.

We formed a small chasing group and unfortunately about 2km later the front two riders touched wheels and came down hard at 50km/h. I managed to go off-road without falling, but after recovering turned back when I realised the guys were badly hurt.

A fractured elbow for Luca Stermin and more serious injuries for the other. Definite broken collarbone (Bones did not break skin, but very obvious). Worried that he has broken ribs and possible pelvis problems.

Hope they all heal up quickly.

Hope all the riders that fell heal up real quick. With the lack of experience, there were many dangerous cyclists in the groups. It was like an obstacle course out on the road today.

Two bad accidents in DE on the Malmesbury road. One of my mates is in hospital with a broken collarbone and possible neck and back injuries from the first one. I am not sure if there were other injuries. I came off, but was unscathed as I managed to stay on my feet after dumping the bike.

We formed a small chasing group and unfortunately about 2km later the front two riders touched wheels and came down hard at 50km/h. I managed to go off-road without falling, but after recovering turned back when I realised the guys were badly hurt.

A fractured elbow for Luca Stermin and more serious injuries for the other. Definite broken collarbone (Bones did not break skin, but very obvious). Worried that he has broken ribs and possible pelvis problems.

Hope they all heal up quickly.

Shucks! Hope they heal up ok.

I don't want to start pointing fingers, but A group was a little manic. I like to think I'm more than competent a rider, but it didn't help me being taken out in that high speed crash, resulting in a fractured spine unfortunately. No more La Perla classics for me for a while. Andrew, the JOC rider, I believe is okay. See you gents on the road again in a few months!

Despite the fairly technical route I do not think there was any crashes or falls on the MTB events. I started in the A-C group and riders were quick but in control, which is what you would expect.

I don't want to start pointing fingers, but A group was a little manic. I like to think I'm more than competent a rider, but it didn't help me being taken out in that high speed crash, resulting in a fractured spine unfortunately. No more La Perla classics for me for a while. Andrew, the JOC rider, I believe is okay. See you gents on the road again in a few months!

Recover swiftly, man.

All the best. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Joined a La Perla ride once. Awesomely fast!

the organisers are happy to charge R200 an entry meaning the A bunch generated at least R20 000 in entry fees. surely the organisers must of realised that the A bunch was going to be bigger than normal. do they really expect the A bunch funride to be a processsion . its a race in all aspects. pay for a dedicated ambulance dammit - the charity will still be more than happy with the donation albeit a grand or 2 less.

I might be wrong in my take on what happened but it was 15km from the end and only a couple of small rollers left. It was just after the last turn so guys needed to get into position and "plan" for the finish. We went quite fast (55kph on my Garmin just before i went crashed) down the hill with the little kicker coming. The bunch slowed down... maybe it was the back trying to catch up and was too fast or it was the front trying to control the speed at which we entered the kicker... Anyway I found myself crashing into someone in front of me and was no way to stop or even react as they too crashed trying to slow down and veering right to try avoid... all the while the marshall was trying to force everyone to stay in one lane!

The rest is a blur... and here I am licking my wounds... you guys should see the roasties on my ass!

Not sure it was an incompetent rider's fault or anything, or even how one could've avoided that. The guys were racing...

Heal up David! Seeing you in pain like that was not pretty, you probably also unaware of the bakkie that almost hit you coming from the front. If it wasn't for the marshall and another person that pretty much threw themself in the way of it to try slow it down it could have been nasty, the guy was driving like a maniac! This was just before I took off again to try rejoin. 

Despite the fairly technical route I do not think there was any crashes or falls on the MTB events. I started in the A-C group and riders were quick but in control, which is what you would expect.

Saw a car going down conties with someone with a sling - wasn't anywhere near the guys racing - felt for the 25km guys, starting 15 mins after us in the 45km, the front guys had a rough time getting around us weekend warriors...

I think the route and elevation limited the 65km event to very experienced riders. One bloke came down on Hooggekraal but just lost a bit of skin and dignity.

Cannot fault event organisation and water points were fantastic (not often that 2 bottles doesn't get me through an event but gosh - that portage up godzilla in the heat was tough).

One big thumbs down to those who lined up with MA and MB with their temporary numbers and then refused to leave the start line (resulting in PPA delaying the start until they moved).