[Event] CWC Durbie Dash

Doeda

Sounds like the race organisers need to provide better logistics i.e. More traffic officials, emergency personnel and marshals

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the organisers are happy to charge R200 an entry meaning the A bunch generated at least R20 000 in entry fees. surely the organisers must of realised that the A bunch was going to be bigger than normal. do they really expect the A bunch funride to be a processsion . its a race in all aspects. pay for a dedicated ambulance dammit - the charity will still be more than happy with the donation albeit a grand or 2 less.

No way the organisers would have known beforehand what the sizes of the groups would be. Dont think even PPA would have known. There was an ambulance at wp2, relatively close to where the crash happened. Dont know why the the response wasnt quicker.

Really hope PPA fixes this seeding mess before the summer season. Still loads of races for people to get hurt in... Maybe a $ group for people with a seeding better than, say 5?

Edited by Skubarra

I think the route and elevation limited the 65km event to very experienced riders. One bloke came down on Hooggekraal but just lost a bit of skin and dignity.

Cannot fault event organisation and water points were fantastic (not often that 2 bottles doesn't get me through an event but gosh - that portage up godzilla in the heat was tough).

One big thumbs down to those who lined up with MA and MB with their temporary numbers and then refused to leave the start line (resulting in PPA delaying the start until they moved).

I just don't understand why people STILL don't get this!! I've seen this happen for ever!!.. Temp boards get tossed to the back, where you had MORE than enough time to eliminate this scenario before the morning of the event..??...I picked up my PPA board at the CWC Registration on Friday, that's how easy it is! Anyway...

I thought everything else were great, organization, water points, markers etc etc, HUGE thumbs up for ALL of this and ALL the VOLUNTEERS that stood there frying their noggins, and the rest of them, with such encouragement and assistance!!

It was tough as hell, but with ATLEAST 7bottles of drinks, bananas, and whatever else, + Alot of WELL DONE's,...I could finish with some personality in tack!

You guys probably weren't even a thought to many at 5pm on Saturday,..but HUGE THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SACRIFICE!!!!

(Totally agree with Rapunzel, ito of Experienced riders, and would be interesting to know how many of those entered, finished the long route...)

Lekke event Oom Chris!! Thx for doing sooo much for cycling, especially for us, close to the CWC hub =)

Edited by BrandonF

No way the organisers would have known beforehand what the sizes of the groups would be. Dont think even PPA would have known. There was an ambulance at wp2, relatively close to where the crash happened. Dont know why the the response wasnt quicker.

Really hope PPA fixes this seeding mess before the summer season. Still loads of races for people to get hurt in... Maybe a $ group for people with a seeding better than, say 5?

are you saying that most of the A bunch entered on Saturday morning at R350 instead of early at R200.early entries closed on Tuesday.

I just don't understand why people STILL don't get this!! I've seen this happen for ever!!.. Temp boards get tossed to the back, where you had MORE than enough time to eliminate this scenario before the morning of the event..??...I picked up my PPA board at the CWC Registration on Friday, that's how easy it is! Anyway...

I thought everything else were great, organization, water points, markers etc etc, HUGE thumbs up for ALL of this and ALL the VOLUNTEERS that stood there frying their noggins, and the rest of them, with such encouragement and assistance!!

It was tough as hell, but with ATLEAST 7bottles of drinks, bananas, and whatever else, + Alot of WELL DONE's,...I could finish with some personality in tack!

You guys probably weren't even a thought to many at 5pm on Saturday,..but HUGE THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SACRIFICE!!!!

Lekke event Oom Chris!! Thx for doing sooo much for cycling, especially to us close to the CWC hub =)

Agree, organisation was really good. Water points, route markings, the route itself was great. Loved the event, very very well organised in every sense.

One small negative, again saw a couple of riders using other people PPA seeding boards. When you have a MA or MB board on your bike and you are keeping up ME and MG riders, obviously you didnt earn that seeding.

are you saying that most of the A bunch entered on Saturday morning at R350 instead of early at R200.early entries closed on Tuesday.

No. The organisers knew how many riders in total entered for each event. Not the seeding of each rider.

The organisers dont determine the size of the groups, its the job of the PPA marshalls at the start.

But you are right in a way, this will probably be a problem at every ppa road event this summer. So other organisers take note, we need extra ambulances due to the messed up seeding, scary!!

Not us. The tops are from a euro cycling tour group that rides along the tour route. The guys on instagram. Amazing photos and strong

Thanks Pure Savage. Strong as oxen those guys.

It very easy to try find blame with the organisation with regards to the crashes, but this is a high speed,high stakes games, its fast aggressive and everyone puts in risks to get results.

Look at these amateurs, who would you like to blame for their crashes.

bit out of line there, sir. I can't agree to the comparison of professional riders of similar abilities riding an event with full road closure to a weekend morning fundride with large groups of varying abilities riding narrow roads that are open to public traffic.

solutions:

1) Re-instate age-cat racing for the racing groups. Simplest would be elites (20-30 + anyone on a sponsored team) get their own start and then lump subvets, vets and masters together. (I for one would appreciate not having to race against semi-pro 20-year olds who can ride 30 hours a week and can get in 8-10 hours sleep a night without having to get up at 4am to train)

2) racing groups to be capped at 60 riders

Simple

Edited by nuge

I might be wrong in my take on what happened but it was 15km from the end and only a couple of small rollers left. It was just after the last turn so guys needed to get into position and "plan" for the finish. We went quite fast (55kph on my Garmin just before i went crashed) down the hill with the little kicker coming. The bunch slowed down... maybe it was the back trying to catch up and was too fast or it was the front trying to control the speed at which we entered the kicker... Anyway I found myself crashing into someone in front of me and was no way to stop or even react as they too crashed trying to slow down and veering right to try avoid... all the while the marshall was trying to force everyone to stay in one lane!

The rest is a blur... and here I am licking my wounds... you guys should see the roasties on my ass!

Not sure it was an incompetent rider's fault or anything, or even how one could've avoided that. The guys were racing...

Heal up David! Seeing you in pain like that was not pretty, you probably also unaware of the bakkie that almost hit you coming from the front. If it wasn't for the marshall and another person that pretty much threw themself in the way of it to try slow it down it could have been nasty, the guy was driving like a maniac! This was just before I took off again to try rejoin.

I got to stare at your roasties for about 4km after the fall :P ouch.

There are the same culprits on the weekend and Killarney that ride all over the place. Changing 4 lines in one corner. Being 40 riders back and standing up looking at the break which is 300m away, not paying attention to the bunch and then the bunch slows and they lock up in panic.

I am glad David is "ok", hope back with LPC quick.

I have been totally depressed cos I have missed races due to a back injury. Woke up on Sat and was desperate to ride in that weather. But you guys have made me feel better cos it sounds like it was a terrible day out. Thanks okes.

This...

solutions:

1) Re-instate age-cat racing for the racing groups. Simplest would be elites (20-30 + anyone on a sponsored team) get their own start and then lump subvets, vets and masters together.

2) racing groups to be capped at 60 riders

Simple

There are guys moving all of the place in the A bunch. Again, there seemed to be nerves at the start. Riding in A group is not just having the fitness or strength - it's also having the mental strength, concentration and reflexes to avoid small touches of wheel etc. There's also a certain amount of 'telepathy' needed, and I must say most of the guys seem to have an intrinsic feel for where they are in relation to other riders.

Since last year January  I've worked my way up from E (I only used to do MTB), and with every move up the ranks, there's still erratic riding and falls. This I'm afraid is racing - it's risky, probably more dangerous than MTB.

Have a few MTB races coming up now and then Langebaan road race in November.

Edited by Aaron_B

Had a lekker ride in the short fun ride!

I saw the F bunch flying past us on one of the hills - made me feel I was standing while on my max :w00t:  Daai manne kan 'n fiets trap!

I found the vibe lekker, organising was good and, as a noob, love my medal! :mellow:

Eish, was a lekka race my only complaint is my chip not register when I crossed the mat at the finish. Do you guys know if they have a backup system in place, I know Great time records the finish just in case the miss someone and I'm pretty sure Racetec does the same? I also start in B, think I finished 2nd but could not see on my right if someone else was in front of me.