The Sad Thing... (Stolen Bikes)

Johan A Marais

It is very worrying the see the number of stolen bikes increase dramatically throughout SA, and especially the greater Cape Town.

What is more concerning, or rather sad, is that there must be a market for this, and it is surely driven by demand.  If this demand does not get squashed/removed this will unfortunately just continue to increase.

And the really sad part is that this demand is most probably being created by cyclists... :eek:

Edited by The Commuter

Where..? Where are these bikes and parts being sold...?

I can't believe that with the volume of bikes being stolen, that hardly a single member here, or cyclists I generally know, has any clue, or knows of a guy who knows a guy that gets what's being stolen cheap cheap.

Surely we'd be seeing an influx of parts and/or bikes flooding the usual channels like here, scumtree and OLX ...?

wasn't there a syndicate a few years back - would break into bike shops, with bakkies, throw the four most expensive bikes and run. in and out in 30 seconds.

They got bust, what happened? and i'm asking about the market they were feeding into, surely a lot must have been gathered from that.

Maybe a few bikes should be planted with small tracking devices in them (if something like this exists) to be able to figure out how deep the rabbit hole goes.... This could then potentially assist to at least provide a starting point in recovering stolen bikes.

I am sure some insurance companies wouldn`t mind sponsoring a few bikes for the cause, seeing that they are probably paying out a lot of claims recently in Cape Town area.

Just an idea.

Guys this has been debated to death....either stop providing a market for the thieves i.e. do not buy cheap second hand parts from the hub (and other places) or stand up and fight for your bike (that is rightfully yours) when being "jacked"...easier said than done I know but until there is resistance then this will continue.

When practicing Martial Arts I was told that 9 out 10 fights can be avoided through situational awareness. The ability to see trouble before it happens is key. Be vigilant with your bikes and don't let your guard down when it comes to riding and storing you bike.

Be a ninja and avoid trouble  :ph34r:

I was a victim to this and there is a direct link between mine and others here in Cape Town. SAPS are useless I think Carte Blanch is the only people who yield results.

I find that near the end of a 5 hour solo ride, my ninja powers tend to be very weak....... :blush:  

But your odor may help :P

I would hazard a guess to say that these stolen bikes make their way across our borders into the greater continent of Africa.

I remember reading a news report last year shortly after all the cell-phone shops in CT got whacked by these syndicates, that Vodacom etc. were finding out that their stolen mobile devices were being registered in Nigeria etc.