According to cyclingnews http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-movistar-seek-alliance-with-astana-to-take-on-froome/ there might be a chance Movistar and Astana team up.

In my opinion, they have to try and break Sky before the last climb. Go hard right from the first climb. Sky likes to pace, because they have trained like that and they know exactly where their threshold is. Try to eliminate them through the whole stage. No use waiting for the last climb with 3 or 4 Skyborgs protecting Froome.

If somehow Movistar and Astana form an alliance, it would definitely make it very interesting.

And remember, Froome has never been his absolute best in the third week while other riders actually excel.

Watch Froome dispel this theory this week

????

Just like the other theories in week 1 and 2

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[emoji15] so much for my ill informed opinion!

Yes, andydude

Froome has reduced his racing load this year and have skipped many of his usual appearances

Fresher indeed the Dawg is

Those funny brown shorts are here to stay

Insurance firm AG2R LA MONDIALE is extending it’s sponsorship of pro cycling through 2020.

A closer look at Sky’s annual report shows that their salary line-item alone is MORE than the entire budget of many teams in the race. If they did not win the Tour overall, it would certainly not be for a lack of funding.

Yeah.. but no surprise really.. we all kinda knew before the tour started that he wouldn't stay till Paris

Ja we were talking a while back that we expected him to pull out on the 2nd rest day, which he's done. 

I even thought he'd do it after Saturday's stage, because Sunday was a beast and Monday was not his sort of finish (so no point staying around for either). Personally I think he stayed 2 days longer than he should have.

Ja we were talking a while back that we expected him to pull out on the 2nd rest day, which he's done.

I even thought he'd do it after Saturday's stage, because Sunday was a beast and Monday was not his sort of finish (so no point staying around for either). Personally I think he stayed 2 days longer than he should have.

Ja me too hey

So the other teams say Sky are too strong, their 'tempo' pace puts everyone into the red, wadda wadda fish paste.

Sorry, that doesn't cut it with me. I have not seen one attempt by any team to try and do something about it. Like a bunch of deer in the headlights. 

There's always a way to beat a better opponent, especially in a team environment. You just have to be smarter with your tactics.

To get to Froome they need to get rid of his skyborg lieutenants. They have to isolate him and then start tag-teaming on him until he cracks (he can't follow all the attacks on his own - he will crack).

For example, off the top of my head, here is one:

• Movistar sends 2 riders into the break (which they've done already this TDF)
  • At the critical part of the race (about 3 - 5 km below the summit of the penultimate climb of the day) these 2 riders drift back so that they're about 30 seconds ahead of the GC bunch.
  • Valverde attacks from the bunch and bridges across to the 2 up ahead. The skyborgs have to respond to close the gap since Valverde is high on GC.
  • Those 3 Movistar riders go full gas for as long as possible to keep the advantage over the summit and down to the base of the final climb. Valverde does less turns to stay as fresh as possible for the final climb.
  • The effort required by the skyborgs to close the gap eventually finishes them off for the final climb (and if they're still there, they'll not be nearly as effective anyway - they won't be able to hold their infernal pace as before).
  • Froome is now on his own and isolated.
  • Valverde is ahead on his own on the final climb to the finish. Froome has to close him down by himself. Quintana waits on his wheel.
  • As soon as Froome closes the gap, Quintana attacks with a buddy (Porte/Bardet/Mollema) and forces Froome (who's been in the red) to have to close again asap.
  • As soon as Froome has made it across, someone else can attack him immediately.
  • And so they go until Froome cracks.

And I thought that up while I was sitting on the bogs this morning. Come on Movistar et al. Time to come up with an original idea of your own!

So the other teams say Sky are too strong, their 'tempo' pace puts everyone into the red, wadda wadda fish paste.

Sorry, that doesn't cut it with me. I have not seen one attempt by any team to try and do something about it. Like a bunch of deer in the headlights.

There's always a way to beat a better opponent, especially in a team environment. You just have to be smarter with your tactics.

To get to Froome they need to get rid of his skyborg lieutenants. They have to isolate him and then start tag-teaming on him until he cracks (he can't follow all the attacks on his own - he will crack).

• At the critical part of the race (about 3 - 5 km below the summit of the penultimate climb of the day) these 2 riders drift back so that they're about 30 seconds ahead of the GC bunch.
  • Valverde attacks from the bunch and bridges across to the 2 up ahead. The skyborgs have to respond to close the gap since Valverde is high on GC.
  • Those 3 Movistar riders go full gas for as long as possible to keep the advantage over the summit and down to the base of the final climb. Valverde does less turns to stay as fresh as possible for the final climb.
  • The effort required by the skyborgs to close the gap eventually finishes them off for the final climb (and if they're still there, they'll not be nearly as effective anyway - they won't be able to hold their infernal pace as before).
  • Valverde is ahead on his own on the final climb to the finish. Froome has to close him down by himself. Quintana waits on his wheel.
  • As soon as Froome closes the gap, Quintana attacks with a buddy (Porte/Bardet/Mollema) and forces Froome (who's been in the red) to have to close again asap.
  • As soon as Froome has made it across, someone else can attack him immediately.

And I thought that up while I was sitting on the bogs this morning. Come on Movistar et al. Time to come up with an original idea of your own!

Astana did a bit of pace setting on Sunday was it to set up a move for Aru... it did quite a bit of damage .. still think if Valverde hadn't also attacked they would've left Aru to get up the road a bit.

I recall Froome having a chat with Aru a bit before Aru attacked.. Probably something in the line of okay.. we won't chase you down.. however Valverde spoilt that party..and Sky were left with no other option but to up the tempo again.

I can't see a Movistar-Astana alliance happening.. a more likely alliance could be Trek and BMC instead.. I get he idea that trek will actually be okay if Mollema goes for it... even it it means dropping out of podium of it doesn't work.. and surely Porte has got to try get on to the podium. I think Orica will be happy just to consolidate a podium spot so can't see them risking anything.

A good scenario... only if the skyborgs fade... somehow I don't think they will, the last 2 days of racing it was not the mountain lieutenants on the front of the sky train, they rotated and rested them... I expect normal service to resume

To get to Froome they need to get rid of his skyborg lieutenants. They have to isolate him and then start tag-teaming on him until he cracks (he can't follow all the attacks on his own - he will crack).

Yes, seems cyclists have memory problems, and forgot how Andy Schleck took time out of Cuddles a few years ago.  Attacking real heard on the penultimate climb with 2 riders ahead on the road. If it was not for his stuff up on the last ITT he would have won that tour.

Edited by Moridin

5 Gig data bundle bought and I will set up the iPhone as a hotspot and stream with my laptop. Let's see if this all works. Hope so

Yes, seems cyclists have memory problems, and forgot how Andy Schleck took time out of Cuddles a few years ago. Attacking real heard on the penultimate climb with 2 riders ahead on the road. If it was not for his stuff up on the last ITT he would have won that tour.

My favourite day in recent tour history. That was so gutsy of my then supportee up the Galibier. But it didn't work in the end. Ditto this time I think, although today's climbs are much steeper.

5 Gig data bundle bought and I will set up the iPhone as a hotspot and stream with my laptop. Let's see if this all works. Hope so

1992 was a good year. Happy watching!

Good luck..