DIY ebike project

Dirkitech

Hi All,

It's been a while since I've been on the forum- my activity disappeared along with my cycling ability after a minor car crash. Anyways, I'm happily back and have a new diy project that I've been brewing over for just over a year - I want to build an ebike.

My ideas so far is to build an initial ebike using a hub motor to build into an existing ZTR Olympic or an entirely new wheel with more spokes and different diameter. My hopes is to be able to swop this wheel out with my current 26" dual sus bike, although I'm concerned over the wear of a motored drivetrain on gearset.

I've occasionally checked the chinese carbon thread for an idea over aftermarket carbon frames and rim prices, but they still seem rather expensive for a side project, hence my hopes of building an electric hub motor wheel to swop out instead of a whole new bike.

I would first of just like opinions from anyone who've ridden an ebike in South Africa or especially anyone who has built their own, like did you import all your parts, which (unforeseen) obstacles did you encounter, what was your budget and final expenditure etc. etc.

This will be an open discussion and hopefully it will get enough content that I could perhaps design two or more ebike drivetrains and write guides for anyone else interested in undertaking this project.

I would first of just like opinions from anyone who've ridden an ebike in South Africa or especially anyone who has built their own, like did you import all your parts, which (unforeseen) obstacles did you encounter, 

Just do not dare use it on the MTB trails, the amount of judgement and condemnation is not worth it.

Just do not dare use it on the MTB trails, the amount of judgement and condemnation is not worth it.

Hi there. Is that coming from your own experience?

It is going to be used for commuting to work (hopefully) which is 27.5km away and otherwise will be used in open veld areas around Zumbuc. Trail riding was neveron my mind, for what it is worth.

But it's good to hear - its ultimately a South African take on ebikes that I'm looking for. Google is laden with american and uk and everywhere else ebike information.

Hi there. Is that coming from your own experience?

It is going to be used for commuting to work (hopefully) which is 27.5km away and otherwise will be used in open veld areas around Zumbuc. Trail riding was neveron my mind, for what it is worth.

But it's good to hear - its ultimately a South African take on ebikes that I'm looking for. Google is laden with american and uk and everywhere else ebike information.

I know guys that use it a lot in town to get to work and back up the mtn. Works very well. 

Have a look at city cycles, they seem to be very clued up the last time I was investigating.