Puffy encounter

gerhardsnorbaard

Yesterday i was cruising down a jeep track in deer park (ct), and saw something resembling a log in the middle of the road. Then when i got close i realised its a puff adder crossing the road. Managed to stop within metre or 2 of striking distance.

This made me think - how does one handle such a situation when you cant stop? Go past head or tail, or through the middle? Bunny hop? Ride over it and hope it doesnt catch the spokes? Would love to hear others stories.

Edited by gerhardsnorbaard

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday i was cruising down a jeep track in deer park (ct), and saw something resembling a log in the middle of the road. Then when i got close i realised its a puff adder cross

You only make that mistake once, from this point every log will look like a puff adder until you see your first "long thin pole", then it's a Cobra.

ever seen a snake strike?

they are blitz fast! no matter where you ride it will either get you or the bike.

i've seen a cobra hit the seat of a farm scrambler before! granted the rider was not going to quick, but still faster than we can pedal!

if possible stop and go round, if not, lift your legs and pee a little!

Yesterday i was cruising down a jeep track in deer park (ct), and saw something resembling a log in the middle of the road. Then when i got close i realised its a puff adder crossing the road. Managed to stop within metre or 2 of striking distance.

This made me think - how does one handle such a situation when you cant stop? Go past head or tail, or through the middle? Bunny hop? Ride over it and hope it doesnt catch the spokes? Would love to hear others stories.

what's the best option? here's what i would do.

stop - if you have the time and distance

otherwise it's too late, follow your instincts and even if you're not religious, pray.

You only make that mistake once, from this point every log will look like a puff adder until you see your first "long thin pole", then it's a Cobra.

Or a very angry black mamba....ask Lexx

what's the best option? here's what i would do.

stop - if you have the time and distance

otherwise it's too late, follow your instincts and even if you're not religious, pray.

I think my instinct will lead me to the best bunny hop I've ever done!

I know that we are in the snakes environment but what freaks me out is cycling through overgrown paths where you can barely see the trail.

I am not shy to say that on some hot days i changed my route slightly to avoid such routes. 

Does anybody know if a cyclist was ever bitten by a snake while out riding?

ever seen a snake strike?

they are blitz fast! no matter where you ride it will either get you or the bike.

i've seen a cobra hit the seat of a farm scrambler before! granted the rider was not going to quick, but still faster than we can pedal!

if possible stop and go round, if not, lift your legs and pee a little!

Or some other bodily expulsion; voluntary or otherwise....

We come across Puffies quite often here.. big ones small ones.. 

and you always see them late.. the last time I rode right past the log... and when I looked down.. well the log had patterns.. yes I had one of those girlie screech moments.

the bigger they are the more stubborn they are.. they just don't move.