Puffy encounter

gerhardsnorbaard

Do you know how stupidly fast these clumsy looking creatures are?

Their strike speed is even more stupid.

Are they not one of the fastest strikers around?

My rule of thumb with puffies is to stay at least twice the length of the puffy away from said puffy. Even if that means bushwacking to get around it.

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was actually thinking about these guys yesterday.

Was at Rietvlei Zoo with the wife doing some riding, since the wife is rather unfit there was a fair amount of stopping or just pulling over to let other riders past, this generally had us off the trail, and it got me wondering about the chances of encountering a slithering creature. 

Are they not one of the fastest strikers around?

My rule of thumb with puffies is to stay at least twice the length of the puffy away from said puffy. Even if that means bushwacking to get around it.

Puf Adders move slowly, but strike extremely fast. If you see a short fat snake slowly crossing the road like in earthworm mode, then it is likely a puffy. If it whizzes across the road and within seconds disappears into the bush, then it is most unlikely to be a Puffy.

• 5 months later...

No picture of a snake today, but here's a picture of a hole where two walls meet at the campsite where I was clearing winter leaves the other day . . .  put my gloved hand in to rake out loose leaves and then caught sight of a coiled snake uncoiling itself in there.

It was surreal to see and it took me a second to work out what I was looking at. I could see two bits of snake going one way and another bit going the other way.... I still see that when I close my eyes at night!!! LOL

I have no idea how long it was, but the middle bit I saw was almost 2cm thick . . . .

post-4874-0-25467700-1618340592_thumb.jpg

Came face to face with a massive black mamba crossing a bushy trail at Holla last year. I don't think he saw me coming until the last second, and visa versa. I literally couldn't get my feet high enough above my ears when I rode past, and he lunged backwards trying to jump out of the way. Needless to say, couldn't get my heart rate back down for the rest of the ride, and i'm pretty sure he pooped a little too.

The scary part is, if you get bitten out there, its at least a 10km ride back to anywhere that can help. Fortunately they're not out there to bite you, just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• 2 weeks later...

Uncovered this little guy yesterday while raking leaves.

He was sleepy and slow, but he started to follow me .....

post-4874-0-38148400-1619245940_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-77945000-1619245946_thumb.jpg

why would it follow you.......

and how far did he follow you.

When you woke up this morning was it at your bedside???? is it still trying to find its way to your home????

I need answers 

Edited by YaseenEnos

Looks like an immature viper of sorts.

That will give you a nasty bite.They don't seem so agressive 

Taken by a friend of mine on a hike on the South West Coast UK yesterday

European Viper I think

post-523-0-94997200-1619275077_thumb.jpg

post-523-0-53927800-1619275108_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kranswurm

why would it follow you.......

and how far did he follow you.

When you woke up this morning was it at your bedside???? is it still trying to find its way to your home????

I need answers 

ha!

Not sure why it would follow me.... I assume it could smell my fear!

It followed me for as long as it took me to get my wits back and leg it!

Please don't talk about snakes and my bedroom in the same sentence..... #nightmare!

I think it might know what car I drive - it could hitch a lift underneath and I'd never know. Sweet Mary I may have already bought it home with me!!!  :w00t:  :w00t:

False perspective shot. The camera angle makes the snake look bigger than it really is. The puffy rarely gets larger than around 90cm.

having a look at the trail width and some other things this one is not that big. There was a hubber who nearly hit one and posted a photo of it similar colors. Now that was a nice fat one!

P. S still a good size this one and beautiful ????

Edited by Me rida my bicycle

False perspective shot. The camera angle makes the snake look bigger than it really is. The puffy rarely gets larger than around 90cm.

Yes the guy did make that point on his FB post and said it was just under 1m in length in reality - still a big puffy though