New and have a few questions...Help.

Nox

So wheelsizes....  :ph34r:

Just kidding.

I went and did my introduction and here I am already with the first questions.

I'm apparently tall and a 29" will fit me better. I'm 1.83m - i'm not too hung up on wheel sizes, at the moment looking at either a 27.5 Giant Talon 4 or a Silverback Spectra Comp 29"

What I really want to know is the following:

Helmets and protection.

I mean I see some of the speeds you guys do and why the hell is full face helmets not recommended? I ride Enduro motorcycles and some places I see cyclist ride faster on rockier terrain. Esp downhill. I see that on the RedBull downhill stuff guys wear full face helmets and so on. 

Normal trail riding I guess at speed can also cause some havoc with your face? just the other day I read of a woman breaking both fron teeth off and popping her shoulder and that was on a regular mom and pop trail.

Coming from the motorcycle where I wear helmet boddy protection knee pads elbow pads and neck brace and still had concussion, broken collarbone and cracked wrist etc. this is a little weird. I see no chin, face protection on those bike helmets, i see no one ride with elbow or shoulder guards, I would MAYBE see someone with knee guards but more often nothing but the little "top of the head only" helmet.

Can you guys recommend some basics?

Do you where any under shirt protection? Padded or otherwise? is this really only for extreme downhill?

Shorts hirts and shoes

These long briefs/onesies type stuff.   :thumbdown:

http://img.myshopping.com.au/rsz400/cache/704/44/15FFE7A5D73BBEEBFF7465EB068CFB11DD74D3.jpg?aHR_cDovL1d1dy22bWFyay3jb0_uYXUvaW-hZ0VzL_NZQ_xJTkcvYmliMDAxLmpwZwkvNzA_LzQ_LzE-RkZFN_E-RDczQkJFRUJGRjc_NjVFQjA0OENGQjExREQ1NEQzLmpwZwAA

I'm not gonna wear them.  For the guys who have some manhood left.. <---Just little joke.

...do you wear padded shorts underneath then something like this over? 

http://d2nsgnoj157yga.cloudfront.net/images/product/None_2013_55005_001_OneIndustries_Black_Reactor_MtbShort_0--5e5ea-XL.jpg

Or only the shorts. keep in mind my bike will be a Hard Tail  :ph34r:

I'm just wondering generally for XC riding what is the common preferred getup cosidering Western Cape weather , before I go to a LBS and walk out there looking like I belong in Boswell Wilky Circus as a trapeze artist.

Shirt? Any shirt I guess will do as long as it's ,moisture wiking?

Shoes, I don't want to get clips and those things now so will any good Merrell's or something do?

Tyres.

Do I go tubeless right away?

I really dont want to be fixing flats by tube extraction and insertion.

Do you get slime for tubes, is it only for tubeless.

What do you guys roll with?

Other

I guess on a ride I need either a pump or bombs and a multitool?

Hydration I got sorted with a camelback.

Anything else I'm missing?

Edited by Nox

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of it comes down to your preference and how confident you are vs the injuries you could sustain...

I personally just wear gloves, padded shorts (or baggies with a padded inner more technically) and just running t-shirts (same ones as for trail running etc, moisture wicking ones that dry quick).

Helmet is open face, but MTB ones tend to have a bit more protection around the back of the head.

I'll look at getting knee pads soon too, but i've not really needed them until now, looking to see if they inspire a bit more confidence to try some corners at higher speeds etc.

Shorts (bibs)

I'm no mountain biker but if you want to go fast ride with a BIB (like the pro's). I think if you spend more than 2hrs on the bike with baggies it will start to chafe you in all sorts of places.

Shorts (bibs)

I'm no mountain biker but if you want to go fast ride with a BIB (like the pro's). I think if you spend more than 2hrs on the bike with baggies it will start to chafe you in all sorts of places.

Really...my 7 hour Karoo To Coast experience says otherwise ;)

I'll (I'm) apparently tall and a 29" will fit me better.

That is a non sequitur.

Your height affects FRAME size and not wheel size.

If (as you allude to in your post)  your riding will tend towards the enduro side of things, you may well be better off on an appropriately sized 26" DS bike that a 29HT.

Shorts (bibs)

Not true, I only wear padded shorts, Fox, First Ascent, and I've never had an issue, not even on 80km MTB rides.

On the DS 26' - I was wondering about that but they seem to be above budget. +- R7k for bike and +-R3k for riding gear.

So then I was thinking a 29" may be better since the wheel will handle bumps and ruts better?

Should I rather go with the Giant Talon 4 27.5 than the Silverback Spectra Comp 29?

The Silverback seems to have better components.

I think the big thing is that I'm not too sure what all the trails look like here. What i've seen (Videos) most people seem to do them with hardtails OK. it's not hectic downhills everywhere but more technical type trails. Not sure on wheel sizes. Obviously the DS will eb first prize but I'm not going to spend R15-R20k on a first bike yet.

Maybe if I get more into it I'll trade or sell my MX motorcycle and hardtail then get a nice DS later.

Thanks for the padded Shorts link...that's the type of thing I';ll look into.

if chafing starts to occur I'll look into other solutions. 

OK knee pads i'll get. and some gloves.

I'll see if I can get a helmet that covers a bit more on the side.

Edited by Nox

On the DS 26' - I was wondering about that but they seem to be above budget. +- R7k for bike and +-R3k for riding gear.

So then I was thinking a 29" may be better since the wheel will handle bumps and ruts better?

Should I rather go with the Giant Talon 4 27.5 than the Silverback Spectra Comp 29?

The Silverback seems to have better components.

I think the big thing is that I'm not too sure what all the trails look like here. What i've seen (Videos) most people seem to do them with hardtails OK. it's not hectic downhills everywhere but more technical type trails. Not sure on wheel sizes. Obviously the DS will eb first prize but I'm not going to spend R15-R20k on a first bike yet.

Maybe if I get more into it I'll trade or sell my MX motorcycle and hardtail then get a nice DS later.

Thanks for the padded Shorts link...that's the type of thing I';ll look into.

if chafing starts to occur I'll look into other solutions. 

OK knee pads i'll get. and some gloves.

I'll see if I can get a helmet that covers a bit more on the side.

For someone with an MX background I find it surprising that you would be interested in XC rather than the more gravity orientated riding. I would hate for you to part with your cash on a hardtail 29er only for you to realize after the bug bites that you like jumps, drops and railing berms. Not to say that you couldn't do that with any bike.

But it would suck to feel like you are stuck with something you can soon feel isn't able to keep up with what you like doing.

So I guess what I'm asking is. What sounds more like you?

A weekend warrior that wants nothing more than casual recreational riding for some fresh air and beautiful scenery.

A fitness focused race snake who loves chasing personal record times and long distances.

An all mountain rider who sees climbing hills as nothing more than the work required to reap the reward of bombing trails on the way down.

An adrenalin addicted gravity fiend who only every rides his bike pointed down and loves nothing more than hearing his own heartbeat between his ears

For someone with an MX background I find it surprising that you would be interested in XC rather than the more gravity orientated riding. I would hate for you to part with your cash on a hardtail 29er only for you to realize after the bug bites that you like jumps, drops and railing berms. Not to say that you couldn't do that with any bike.

But it would suck to feel like you are stuck with something you can soon feel isn't able to keep up with what you like doing.

So I guess what I'm asking is. What sounds more like you?

A weekend warrior that wants nothing more than casual recreational riding for some fresh air and beautiful scenery.

I'll definitely be doing this with the missus often.

A fitness focused race snake who loves chasing personal record times and long distances.

Nope

An all mountain rider who sees climbing hills as nothing more than the work required to reap the reward of bombing trails on the way down.

Yes

An adrenalin addicted gravity fiend who only every rides his bike pointed down and loves nothing more than hearing his own heartbeat between his ears

.......... I have to admit...that does sound like a lot of fun.

Enduro not high jumps on a track, but yeah... I hear you.

So...do I look for an old 26" DS rather? I find here and there but small or medium frames only.

I dont want mechanical brakes. Can I even consider stuff for R7K there? 

Edited by Nox

If you say enduro type stuff, then look at an enduro style bike. Somthing in the region of 150mm travel. This will vary slightly as well as across wheel size.

Here is some options if still available

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/159939-volcan-fs2/

Volcan Looks like an excellent buy

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/151325-giant-trance-x4/

The everymans bike, but i am not abig fan of giants, might be too big also

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/158782-cube-ams100-comp-dual-suspension-26/

Not everymans cup of tea, but good bikes

Take someone with you, that knows bikes, or go to lbs and ask them to check bike before buying, dont pay money unless you have the bike in your hands

This is just some options, use it abuse it or lose it, i dont mind....

Good luck and welcome to your new addiction

I also moved from motocross and enduro to mountain bikes. I ride with baggy running shorts or board shorts, with padded shorts underneath.  Check out aliexpress search for cycling shorts, they cost about R150 each 

I prefer a cycling shirt, with tyre plugs, spare masterlink, spare hanger, in a neat little box in the shirt pocket. Bomb adapter, multitool, phone and food also in pockets.

spare bombs and tube on the bike. 1 or 2 bottles on the bike depending on distance, (invest in proper cages)

I only use the hydration pack for very long days out.

Tubeless - DO IT NOW, it will save you a ton of frustration, I found coming from dirtbikes I tended to try  bulldoze my way though the rocks, thorn trees, etc. without tubeless i had flats every ride (VERY FRUSTRATING).  After installing tubeless ( and better line selections), i have not had a situation in 2 years that i could not fix with a plug and bomb. 

For a helmet look for something like the fox flux, with a little more protection behind your head, will give you a little more confidence for cross country

Wheel size is determined by the type of riding you do.

Frame size is determined by your height - at 1.83m you would be looking at about a meduim - your inseam also determines frame size but there are many good articles on the www on sizing and setup. Don't let anyone tell you that 26" is on the way out.

As for tjoepless tires - totally over rated - makes a difference but not needed when starting out. It's more the fashion.

Learn to ride on flat pedals then try cleats and then decide - most swear by either one and I know of one competitive rider who uses both on a regular basis depending on the terrain.

NB Lycra is a no-no!

Best outfit is a long sleeve rugby shirt and a cut off jean pant and HiTech tekkies.

Gloves - industrial nitrate safest for cuts.

Helmets cheaper is as good (tested) as the overpriced statements.

Fashion WILL tell you otherwise.

Experience will determine in the long run.

Edited by porqui

Thanks so much for the comments and links - keep them coming.

@KingTJ Those bike you linked are good, the bit about getting the bike frt before money parts is the part I'm stuck at. Seems Gauteng's bike prices are cheaper than here in the Cape for soem reason. I would prefer it to see the bike face to face before I buy.

So...26er Dual Suspensuion hey?  Ok i'll be looking at that then instead.

i guess thats considered oldschool now? :)

Can that be upgraded to a 27.5 at some stage? Say the Anthem or Cube you listed there?

I'm curious...can one run a 27.5 front and a 26 rear? i guess brakes will need to change or just the discs?

I was wondering about the Bell Super 2R, basically a 2 in 1 helmet? Expensive but cheaper than buying 2 or 3 helmets?

Hmmm... new research to go and do on 26er Full suspension. :)

Edited by Nox