Trail Daze: Jonkershoek rising from the ashes

ewaldsadie

Myles, where is the Red Phoenix trail? Is it Neverending?

No clue, tbh. It's one of the new ones. 

EDIT: No. Neverending is the Blue trail. Still there. 

Red Phoenix is, well, red. But I reckon it's also a blue ito difficulty. 

Trail Development Update: All trails stemming from The Waterfall Trail Head are almost complete. We hope they open late this coming week or early the week after. This is dependent on the arrival of signage and the completion of the Red Line. Bennet is about 400 meters from it's completion meaning the Trail Head located high-up where Neverending Story starts. Most of us are familar with the Blue Line (Neverending Story), which is an excellent trail. The Red Line will enable even higher speed with many cool features for those with the skills to take them (optional). The Black Line is really a different trail to what we have known in Jonkershoek and many other areas; very technical we recommend only long travel bicycles and the usual protective gear. Be patient ... the trails will officially open soon.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No clue, tbh. It's one of the new ones. 

EDIT: No. Neverending is the Blue trail. Still there. 

Red Phoenix is, well, red. But I reckon it's also a blue ito difficulty. 

Trail Development Update: All trails stemming from The Waterfall Trail Head are almost complete. We hope they open late this coming week or early the week after. This is dependent on the arrival of signage and the completion of the Red Line. Bennet is about 400 meters from it's completion meaning the Trail Head located high-up where Neverending Story starts. Most of us are familar with the Blue Line (Neverending Story), which is an excellent trail. The Red Line will enable even higher speed with many cool features for those with the skills to take them (optional). The Black Line is really a different trail to what we have known in Jonkershoek and many other areas; very technical we recommend only long travel bicycles and the usual protective gear. Be patient ... the trails will officially open soon.

Thanks. I read all that but wasn't sure if Red was new or had been developed over Never Ending.

Red isn't a commonly used IMBA trail grading colour in South Africa as we usually have blue routes in general, that may include elements of red, but for those who would like the definition:

RED: DIFFICULT

SUITABLE FOR: Regular cyclists with experience of moderate trails.Suitable for offroad quality mountain bikes.

TRAIL TYPES: Any usable trail with pushing or portage unlikely to exceed 2% of total distance.

GRADIENT: A wide range of climbs and descents of a challenging nature.

SURFACE / WIDTH: Widths from 1m, and any usable surface. Likely to include singletrack and other technical sections.

ACCEPTABLE HAZARDS: The route should be judged on the basis that a reasonably experienced rider riding within his/her level of skill and prevailing ground conditions, would not be expected to fall.

Really cool pics Ewald! Those trails will definitely get someone over their fear of rocks ;) Looks amazing…and that's not "Enduro" - Enduro's a flipping race format - that is serious mountain biking. 

Red isn't a commonly used IMBA trail grading colour in South Africa as we usually have blue routes in general, that may include elements of red, but for those who would like the definition:

RED: DIFFICULT

SUITABLE FOR: Regular cyclists with experience of moderate trails.Suitable for offroad quality mountain bikes.

TRAIL TYPES: Any usable trail with pushing or portage unlikely to exceed 2% of total distance.

GRADIENT: A wide range of climbs and descents of a challenging nature.

SURFACE / WIDTH: Widths from 1m, and any usable surface. Likely to include singletrack and other technical sections.

ACCEPTABLE HAZARDS: The route should be judged on the basis that a reasonably experienced rider riding within his/her level of skill and prevailing ground conditions, would not be expected to fall.

Really cool pics Ewald! Those trails will definitely get someone over their fear of rocks ;) Looks amazing…and that's not "Enduro" - Enduro's a flipping race format - that is serious mountain biking. 

Very #Enduro©®

Or is it #DownDuro now. #UpnDownDuro. #EndurBro & #EndurVrou?

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Damn, I want to work for iride.........

What are the requirements?

We are always look for freelance guides (especially in the Stellenbosch area). Requirements? Qualified guide & first aid certificate (preferably wilderness based) and PDP drivers license.

On the riding front, you have to be elite level in terms of fitness and technical ability to keep up with the best customers and have the patience of a saint to ride with the slowest!

We are always look for freelance guides (especially in the Stellenbosch area). Requirements? Qualified guide & first aid certificate (preferably wilderness based) and PDP drivers license.

On the riding front, you have to be elite level in terms of fitness and technical ability to keep up with the best customers and have the patience of a saint to ride with the slowest!

Damn, I am probably one of the most unfit and slowest around.

I was referring to working on the trail daze experience though.

Are any trails in Jonkershoek open yet? Im heading to Stellies this weekend and looking for some trails to ride. Any suggestions?

Are any trails in Jonkershoek open yet? Im heading to Stellies this weekend and looking for some trails to ride. Any suggestions?

Some trails are. Neverending Story, the Nationals DH track and a few others. None of the new ones. 

Stick to Eden / Coetzenberg and Bottleray this weekend. Hopefully we get the green light to hit up Jonkers next week?

Mid November, it's looking like at the moment. The trails NEEEEEED rain, and time to bed in. Already braking bumps on the trail from all the people "trying them out" despite them not being open yet... 

With the amount of photos on Instagram and Facebook of people riding the trail it seems I am the only one not riding it!

Holy crap I'm amped! You guys are so lucky to have been able to ride there before most of us. Arg! How am I supposed to sleep after seeing this?!

Anyone know where I can pick up a bag or 2 of skill before mid November?

Blackhill's jumplines are great practice for upping street cred. I'll going to be putting some time in there while there while Jonker's is brewing. When she's ready to be served. I'm getting my annual. I don't think I've ever been so excited to ride it.

Its all the teasers I suppose. I think that place is going to show me just how much skill I'm lacking. Can't wait...