Up size this 26"

GiovanniJ

Hello dear members of BikeHub, 

My name is Giovanni - and I'm a total bike newbie. I've always jogged, but recently started to MTB with my dad, a few 10KM/20KM tracks nothing hectic, I'm really growing to enjoy this. I've been doing this on my mom's never-used Mongoose 26"er, however the frame is too small for me.

The bike is a Mongoose Super Tyax with SRAM X-5 groupset, SIZE: EXTRA SMALL.

1. I'd like to know if this groupset can be used on any 26" frame?

2. Will I still be able to purchase just 26" frame at a store, since online they seem pretty rare recently.

3. My dad said he paid R1200 for his Gaint frame in 2011, will I still be able to get something for around this price?

Of course I'm planning on going to a store here in Pretoria (any suggestions?) Saturday, however I don't want to be fooled into buying a completely new bike if I do not have to. This is just a hobby at the moment and I do not want to spend an arm and a leg since the X-5 seems great to me.

Thanks so much Giovanni.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/159294-trek-series-8-26-frame-price-drop/

You will probably need to check a bunch of things

BB crank compatibility

Seatpost diametre

Headset

I dont think you'll have any major issues though. Should be a straight swop over.

You would probably need longer gear cables and longer brake hoses. Your lbs can help you with that. The frame upgrade shouldnt be expensive.

Get in touch with the seller I'm sure he can help you with confirming compatability.

The bike shop can do the rest.

Happy trails and welcome to Bkehub

Not many manufacturers sell 26inch frames, but you could be lucky. A place like Solomons in Pretoria might have something like that.

Do a search on the Hub, there have been some new older models for sale.

Not many manufacturers sell 26inch frames, but you could be lucky. A place like Solomons in Pretoria might have something like that.

Do a search on the Hub, there have been some new older models for sale.

I've just checked, Jmk1 has some new 26inch frames for R750. I've bought from him before and he is very fast, reliable and helpful. Find the add and contact him. Unfortunately I don't know how to post a link on my phone.

I've just checked, Jmk1 has some new 26inch frames for R750. I've bought from him before and he is very fast, reliable and helpful. Find the add and contact him. Unfortunately I don't know how to post a link on my phone.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies. I found the add, probably should have specified, I'm looking for a large/xl frame.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies. I found the add, probably should have specified, I'm looking for a large/xl frame.

LOL - and you've been riding your moms XS up until now.  :eek:

Regarding using the groupset, most of it should be compatible with other frames.

You may need to check bb, headset etc as already suggested.

The differene in frame size will almost certainly also require new cables, brake hoses etc.

Edited by Thomo

It's an evening affair swapping components over to a blank frame, IFF everything is compatible and you have enough knowledge and the right tools. The crank is probably better to take to a store as they'll have the right kit.

Is the mongoose disc or vbrakes?

Most 26 frames will be straight steerer, but you might find one that is tapered.

The Internet is a home mechanics best friend. Most manufacturers have decent manuals online and plenty of show you how's on YouTube

You might want to check the chain length as well as the new frames chain stay might be longer.

Make sure that the frame you buy is compatible with your brakes (v-brakes/disc). Not that important as rear brakes only stuff trails up... 

LOL - and you've been riding your moms XS up until now. :eek:

Regarding using the groupset, most of it should be compatible with other frames.

You may need to check bb, headset etc as already suggested.

The differene in frame size will almost certainly also require new cables, brake hoses etc.

Yea I look like noddy in his red little car.

"Brake: Promax Hydraulic Disc"

I'm interested in the Trek mentioned above however I cannot seem to find a link for specs. "Trek series 8" doesn't hield anything, do I have the model/series wrong?

Edited by GiovanniJ

2007 Trek 8000

http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bikes/2007/large/8000_silver.jpg

Frame
ZR 9000 Alloy

Headset

Cane Creek S-3 w/cartridge bearings, sealed

Brakeset
Shimano LX, hydraulic disc, 6" rotors

Size 19.5 (large)

Head Angle 71

Seat Angle 73

I'm pretty sure it uses a threaded bb (68/72)

so either shimano hollowtech

sram gxp

Reviews here and here

Official page here

Bikepedia tech stuff here

By the way.

How tall are you?

The Morewood is also a mooi option. Probably a more imaginative choice.

Not much between the two frames. Guess it comes down to size and weight.