commuting advice needed

Naweed

Hi guys

So I'm fairly new to the cycling scene (road and mountain biking) and would like to add a bit of cycling to my daily commute. 

I just landed a new job which is in Mowbray so traffic in and out will be hectic. However I can make use of the train but when I get off at CT station, I'll still need to travel another 6kms to my work. So I'm considering getting a fold up bicycle which I can then use to travel to work from the station and back again. 

So I want to know from those of you who use fold up bicycles (or anyone who knows their bikes) what good fold up bikes are out there and what should I be looking out for? I've seen the Puma Disko which looks really cool so might consider that. 

Also, does anyone know what types of fold up bikes/scooters are allowed on the trains (specifically the express train)? I have considered maybe getting one of those standing scooters with a small motor on it (petrol vs electric??). They also fold up but not sure if the size will be ok to take with on the train. The weight of those things could also play a factor.

Opinions will be greatly appreciated. 

Hi, not sure of your train but I suspect it will be similar to gautrain in that they won't permit bicycle on it unless it's in a purpose made bag.

I have started commuting from station the work with a roadbike in a bag. Bit of a schlep carrying the bike but the ride is great !

Hi

So I used a fold up bike and the train from Capt Town station to Pinelands station. It worked. But there are issues.

1. Bold up bikes are heavy and dragging them through stations are a problem.

2. Generally the people manning the ticket offices don't worry, especially if it is not peak times, but sometimes I had huge fights becuase there is this random old rule that people have to pay R10 for a 'parcel' ticket. I spoke to various high ups about it and they agreed with me about not having ot pay the ticket, but the people checking tickets are just that, ticket checkers and sometimes know only how to follow rules.

After doing this for about 8 months I decided to try out cycling the whole way (14km). I discovered that most of my route was on quiet roads and/or cycle paths and it took exactly the same time. Above all it was much more enjoyable.

My advice would be to see if you could cycle the whole way. Get someone to ride with you on the weekend to try it out and then, if possible, just do it.

If you still go with the train and fold up bike route, then Dahon have offices in CT and are pretty good bikes. I use a Mezzo which I like but I haven't seen any more of in South Africa.

L

Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it. I forgot to add the part about me staying all the way out in strand. Riding to Mowbray and back on a bike is not an option! 

I stopped at the train station to ask about taking a bicycle on a train and the guy at the ticket office said that bikes, even fold up bikes, are not allowed. I could just drive everyday with my car but I dont see myself leaving 5:30 every morning just to avoid the traffic. 

Guess I'll have to consider other options now (wonder what kinda punishment I'll get from my wife for buying a small motorbike/scooter)

I know there is a guy using the strand express daily.

He cycles to the train with a fold up.....

Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it. I forgot to add the part about me staying all the way out in strand. Riding to Mowbray and back on a bike is not an option!

I stopped at the train station to ask about taking a bicycle on a train and the guy at the ticket office said that bikes, even fold up bikes, are not allowed. I could just drive everyday with my car but I dont see myself leaving 5:30 every morning just to avoid the traffic.

Guess I'll have to consider other options now (wonder what kinda punishment I'll get from my wife for buying a small motorbike/scooter)

You prolly gonna have to leave at 5:30 anyway.

The train isn't that quick as it stops at every station, and the busses, which are actually quite good and cheap, take long too.

It's a *** commute to have. Would love to see a bike path away from, but along the highway to town. Would use it everyday if there was one!