Stem length - pain between shoulder blades

Ironfist

I'm willing to bet the original owner was too tall for the bike to begin with. Lets call him Frank. Nice ouk. But you see, he had a problem. He felt too cramped up in his bike. It kept him up at night and he seemed distant during lovemaking. In a desperate attempt for more cockpit space he fitted a 110mm stem which resulted in nothing more that an unnerving ride. So he threw in the towel, sold the sled and got a large bike instead. 

Frank and his wife are now much happier.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so what you saying, is if her wrists are are bent out (and not straight in line with the arms) to accommodate a "short" reach, we should have gone for a large and not a medium frame size (with 110mm stem) despite what *bikefit* said?

Forget about the "straight in line with arms" thing. How tall is Karin again?

How wide is the existing bar?

First order of business... get a shorter stem. If bar ~ 700mm, go 740 or so (or just get the Rapide and the fiddle with the grip positioning on it - cheapest option ever)

I actually have been getting the same pain lately,and thought it was related to back issues. To the point where I can't look up without shooting pains between my shoulder blades and neck.

Used to get it a while ago on long rides, but have not had for a while and I thought it was a fitness thing.since building that rigid ht it has come back again.

Only ride rigid on the road. I thought it was due to more aggressive geometry than I am used to?

Can spend the same amount of time on my duallie and don't get the pain. Have now put a riser bar on the ht to try take the pressure of my hands coz I am presuming its that ??

So everyone has given you the bikefit advice, I am not going to comment on that.

Someone did mention core strength and they are right.

No matter what your setup, the fact that it only hurts you with distance of 40km + could point to it being a fatigue thing. I.e the muscle has the ability to do the work to hold you up but not the endurance.

The particular muscle that is involved in shoulder stability is called serratus anterior.

www.shoulderdoc.co.uk is a great resource to look up some exercises to help strengthen it.

Cyclists will train for hours on end but don't want to spend 10min a day doing some rehab. go figure?

Burning between the blades is also a symptoms of a tight thoracic spine and potential cervical spine issues. 

my 5c worth :)

May well be a lower stack height on the hard tail which is pulling you further down...

100% hence the riser bar. But still get the pain after about 3hrs or more.

Maybe need to look at some exercise's as Ryan suggests.

Can it be related to lower back pain,am trying to warm back up before riding.

I can vouch for the rapide 780mm bars, really nice at a really affordable price. The short stem also a winner I rerms of handling ability.

As for bike fit and core strength, when I went for a bike fit it did really iron out some issues so definalty worht it I think and they also told me strengthen my core which is also a must.

no. You should not even go near 110 on an MTB. If you do, you are DEFINITELY on the wrong size bike. Size your bike on the FRAME size, with a stem length between 35 & 70mm (maybe 80mm on a dedicated marathon machine, but even then no) depending on your particular circumstances and needs. That 35mm variance is often more than the difference in ETT lengths between different size frames, and so allows plenty variance when determining setup and desired use etc.

110mm on an MTB is a recipe for disaster. Weight far too forward, skittish handling on the rough stuff, a feeling of going OTB at the slightest obstacle, hindered weight positioning ability... the list goes on.

so who's gonna break the news to Kulhavy, Absalon and 80% of the other riders on the circuit that their stems are too long??

so who's gonna break the news to Kulhavy, Absalon and 80% of the other riders on the circuit that their stems are too long??

There's exceptions to all rules.

Was waiting for this nugget.

Kulhavy etc are in a segment where the large majority of effort is expended on the climb, and climbing efficiency and WEIGHT is of maximum importance. A larger frame with shorter stem weighs more than a smaller frame with longer stem.

Also, they need to get as far over the front as possible and as low as possible on the climbs, similar to roadies.

Also, their technical skills are certainly not lacking, so getting their body positioned right is possible even with the long ass stem placing their weight over the wheel. Plus they know how to counteract that effect.

Also, they are not us. Every single measurement is designed to eke out the maximum efficiency on the climbs and flats. Downs are a secondary concern, though still important. Therefore stability and such on the technical bits takes a back seat to weight and climbing ability. Even though you can still climb with a shorter stem. It just requires a change in technique, but you also get a LOT more control. Also, smaller frame = shorter wheelbase = faster directional changes which helps in passing and switchbacks on those technically challenging courses

If you want to see someone embracing the new geo trend on the xco circuit, have a look at Florian Vogel and some others.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Was waiting for this nugget.

Kulhavy etc are in a segment where the large majority of effort is expended on the climb, and climbing efficiency and WEIGHT is of maximum importance. A larger frame with shorter stem weighs more than a smaller frame with longer stem.

Also, they need to get as far over the front as possible and as low as possible on the climbs, similar to roadies.

Also, their technical skills are certainly not lacking, so getting their body positioned right is possible even with the long ass stem placing their weight over the wheel. Plus they know how to counteract that effect.

Also, they are not us. Every single measurement is designed to eke out the maximum efficiency on the climbs and flats. Downs are a secondary concern, though still important. Therefore stability and such on the technical bits takes a back seat to weight and climbing ability. Even though you can still climb with a shorter stem. It just requires a change in technique, but you also get a LOT more control. Also, smaller frame = shorter wheelbase = faster directional changes which helps in passing and switchbacks on those technically challenging courses

If you want to see someone embracing the new geo trend on the xco circuit, have a look at Florian Vogel and some others.

So your opinion is that it is better suited to XCO riding, then what about the marathon riders, the likes of Sauser and friends. Point I'm trying to make is that we are all far too quick to say 'you should never this and don't ever this' etc, no 2 individuals body geometry is exactly the same, therefore there is no one size fits all answer.

So your opinion is that it is better suited to XCO riding, then what about the marathon riders, the likes of Sauser and friends. Point I'm trying to make is that we are all far too quick to say 'you should never this and don't ever this' etc, no 2 individuals body geometry is exactly the same, therefore there is no one size fits all answer.

No, that's not my opinion. My opinion is that nobody should ever have to resort to a 110mm stem to "make the bike fit" unless there is a very very very good reason for it. XCO isn't that reason. Neither is marathon.

It's when you absolutely have to have the lightest bike possible and are solely concerned about climbing ability, and you have no problem with tackling technical features like those found on an xco circuit of Olympic quality, whilst on that bike with the 110mm stem.

For everyone else, and that includes you, that 110mm stem is a liability. You'd be far better served with something shorter on a longer bike

Edited by Myles Mayhew

No, that's not my opinion. My opinion is that nobody should ever have to resort to a 110mm stem to "make the bike fit" unless there is a very very very good reason for it. XCO isn't that reason. Neither is marathon.

It's when you absolutely have to have the lightest bike possible and are solely concerned about climbing ability, and you have no problem with tackling technical features like those found on an xco circuit of Olympic quality, whilst on that bike with the 110mm stem.

For everyone else, and that includes you, that 110mm stem is a liability. You'd be far better served with something shorter on a longer bike

Not a 110mm stem, but anything over 70 mm as per your previous post? That's what you said I think? I agree that 110 is overkill, do not agree with your statement of anything over 70