Ride the CT Cycle Tour 2016 for the Sunflower Fund

davem

http://www.sunflowerfund.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/The-Sunflower-Fund-Logo.png

The Sunflower Fund has a number of Charity Entries available for the Cape Town Cycle Tour 2016. We would like you to join us. The cost of the entry is R1780. Of this R1000 goes to the Sunflower Fund, the balance of R780 goes to buy the Charity Entry. Your will also need to purchase a Sunflower Fund cycle shirt. You can do that here. You are welcome to buy a cycle shirt even if you are not joining us.

So what do you get for your money?

• A guaranteed entry to the Cape Town Cycle Tour 2016
  • A ride for a very good cause (see below) with some great people.
  • The opportunity to do something extremely good in the world

So what does The Sunflower Fund do?

The Sunflower Fund raises awareness of the need for Bone Marrow Donors with the aim to recruit new donors to the SA Bone Marrow Registry. The Registry current has just over 71 000 registered donors.

Bone marrow is used in the treatment of Leukemia and a whole host of other serious blood and other diseases.

Due to the 1:100 000 chance of finding a compatible donor, at least 100 000 donors are needed for a Registry to function effectively and in South Africa, the Registry should ideally have 400 000 donors representative of all ethnic groups. Ethnic groups do play a large part in establishing the perfect match so Donors from all backgrounds are very welcome.

Some facts about becoming a Registered Donor:

• It is free!
  • It does not hurt to get tested for your your tissue type match.
  • It does not hurt to actually make a donation if you are a match for a patient (it is just like donating blood). The old process of drilling bones was sent to the history books long ago.

While becoming a donor is free, it costs The Sunflower Fund R2000 to do the tissue typing on each new donor so we would welcome any contribution towards this. Your entry fee goes half way towards this.

If you are interested, please email our ride coordinator Cecilia Hiemstra on Cecilia.Hiemstra@sasfin.com

or PM myself.