Normal triathlon vs. Xterra triathlon.

Bodhi

Hey pain junkies. Thought I'd expand my multisport wings as it were and do the "off-road" Xterra for the first time in Buffelspoort next year.

I notice the Xterra full is just slightly longer than the usual olympic distance road triathlon.

For those who've done both, I'm curious as to how different and how much more difficult the Xterra is...I need to decide if I'm doing the full or lite, and don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

Would appreciate any comments or suggestions...

Much thanks!

The only thing that is similar is the swim-obviously and it is not as congested as normal Tri’s. The rest is different in the following: Distance, Terrain, elevation. The bike leg for Buffelspoort is as far as I could remember not technical –don’t recal any major issues, but typical of mountainbiking more power is needed thant road, so I would suggest MTB Rides and a bit more power in training sessions. I find that I transition quite easily from MTB to Run than in normal Tri, mainly I guess because you move around in position and that does not compromise the hip-flexors. The run is undulating and off road and over natural/not-so-natural obstacles and you will not get into a rhythm (Obvious). Then you hit those steps up the dam, so train steps and hills-but serious steps go to the local sportsfield and run up the steps there or find the biggest steps you can find and do it. I am more stuffed after an Xterra than Olympic tri-but it is a lot more fun.   

So the question is not your fitness but your MTB Skills and Trail running fitness, if you feel that you are okay with that then -why the hell not do the Full?

Edited by Wheelsuck

The only thing that is similar is the swim-obviously and it is not as congested as normal Tri’s. The rest is different in the following: Distance, Terrain, elevation. The bike leg for Buffelspoort is as far as I could remember not technical –don’t recal any major issues, but typical of mountainbiking more power is needed thant road, so I would suggest MTB Rides and a bit more power in training sessions. I find that I transition quite easily from MTB to Run than in normal Tri, mainly I guess because you move around in position and that does not compromise the hip-flexors. The run is undulating and off road and over natural/not-so-natural obstacles and you will not get into a rhythm (Obvious). Then you hit those steps up the dam, so train steps and hills-but serious steps go to the local sportsfield and run up the steps there or find the biggest steps you can find and do it. I am more stuffed after an Xterra than Olympic tri-but it is a lot more fun.   

So the question is not your fitness but your MTB Skills and Trail running fitness, if you feel that you are okay with that then -why the hell not do the Full?

This

I've done quite a few typical triathlons in my life from sprint to Ultra distances and 1 Xterra triathlon....

Having a MTB background i enjoyed that part, BUT the bladdy run was damn hard and left me sore in places i have never felt DOMS type pain before.... all because i did not train trail running.... running on uneven ground or technical trails does not care how many km's you have run on tar etc...

Its fantastic but just start practice that trail running long before the event

The final obstacle was a killer after all the other fun and games...

Think i shall tri it again next year

post-182-0-55732400-1446805822_thumb.png

Xterra is way harder than a road tri!!

Buffelspoort (being in Feb) is generally both super hot and can be muddy, so the conditions are harsh.  I think its at least 50% tougher and probably would take you an hour longer than what you are used to with road tri's.

Don't be fooled though, its an awesome event!!!  (PS do the full - just train harder)

Xterra is way harder than a road tri!!

Buffelspoort (being in Feb) is generally both super hot and can be muddy, so the conditions are harsh.  I think its at least 50% tougher and probably would take you an hour longer than what you are used to with road tri's.

Don't be fooled though, its an awesome event!!!  (PS do the full - just train harder)

Buffelspoort Xterra was my first ever tri 3 years ago and I'll be returning next year.

Its definitely harder than an olympic road triathlon. The run when I did it was 12kms, with some hills that had to be walked (literally only saw pros running, everyone else had to walk) and its hot.

But.....one of my favourite races ever. Can't wait for Jan next year

• 3 weeks later...

have not done buffelspoort but grabouw.as to the general question as to what is more difficult on or off definately off road tris are more difficult for me.done my fair share of both.

I would love to do this event but worried about the swimming. Started swimming a week or two ago but not sure if I will be ready for 1.5 km swim in two months of training.

I would love to do this event but worried about the swimming. Started swimming a week or two ago but not sure if I will be ready for 1.5 km swim in two months of training.

Do the sprint. Only 750m of swimming and a great introduction.

You dont have to dive into the full event first time.