Toddler bicycle advice needed.

Fork-it

Hi all

I am in search of expert advice..

This is no unique situation and there aren't many options. My daughter is 2 1/2 turning 3 in April 2016. 

Long story short, I want to get her to enjoy cycling.

What is the best route to follow at her age and onward. I want to buy her something that she will enjoy and that she will not outgrow in a month or two.

The current trend seems to be the 'balance bike' option.

I would appreciate any feedback from parents and non-parents alike.

As with any cycling related purchase, we all know tat we need peace of mind and value for money.

Many thanks.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

strider balance bike is what my boy uses, he loves it, they also regularly host fun races for strider riders which is alot of fun for the kids. they learn so much skills at those events.

I made the mistake of buying my daughter one of these

http://www.velosklad.ru/i/fotodop/big/2749.jpg

Don't. Get her 2 wheels from the beginning so she learns balance early.

So I got her the JD Bug and she is also happier because it goes faster.

There are many quality balance bikes to choose from besides the JD bug.

Muna, Joovy, Strider, etc. All essentially the same thing for kids aged 2 - 5.

The JD bug is the cheapest I've seen though. About R900 now if I'm not mistaken.

Billy-JD-Bug-toddler-bouncer.jpg

When she moves onto a pedal bike she won't need training wheels.

I agree with the above advise. My son is 5 now and the transition from the balance bike was fairly easy - although the pedal movement did take a little while to adapt to.

I agree with the above advise. My son is 5 now and the transition from the balance bike was fairly easy - although the pedal movement did take a little while to adapt to.

See this in the shop often. The kids do a "half-pedal" which results in a jerky progress across the shop floor. Always advise parents to start off the kids on a slight downhill to help them learn to get a full crank rotation.

What I've found is that for your daughter's age a 12" bike works well. You have the sidewheels for a start which can be removed at a later stage. See pic attached. This option also gets them used to the proper pedalling motion.

post-62462-0-08210800-1447068058_thumb.jpg

What I've found is that for your daughter's age a 12" bike works well. You have the sidewheels for a start which can be removed at a later stage. See pic attached. This option also gets them used to the proper pedalling motion.

no. No. Just no...

Training wheels do not train. They detract from the ability to balance and just cause havoc. Plus - that bike is VERY badly sized for a lightie. Most lightie's bikes have kaaaaaak geometry, which just adds to the nope factor.

Balance bike FTW. Then something like a specialized Hotrock (which can also be converted to a balance bike by removing the cranks) and they should be able to pedal it (while balancing, cos that's the most important thing) within a few sessions. 

Say NO! to training wheels... 

Are those rear brakes any good? The front rim brakes you get on many kids bikes with coaster rears seem almost pointless: lever out of the reach of most kids and too spongy.

Edited by Tumbleweed

no. No. Just no...

Training wheels do not train. They detract from the ability to balance and just cause havoc. Plus - that bike is VERY badly sized for a lightie. Most lightie's bikes have kaaaaaak geometry, which just adds to the nope factor.

Balance bike FTW. Then something like a specialized Hotrock (which can also be converted to a balance bike by removing the cranks) and they should be able to pedal it (while balancing, cos that's the most important thing) within a few sessions. 

I know some adults who could do with training wheels...Balance bikes are great, but not suited to every kid. Taking the taining wheels off a bike can become a sorta rite of passage.

no. No. Just no...

Check the HA on the JD bug. Dual Crown baby  :thumbup:

Although the Muna is a seriously sexy contender in the freeride category.

Better tyres, plus...check the RAW one. NICE

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Pro_Mini_Front-copy.jpg

I know some adults who could do with training wheels... Balance bikes are great, but not suited to every kid. Taking the taining wheels off a bike can become a sorta rite of passage.

Maybe they should re-learn how to balance :) Remove pedals, or even better just fix them in position... 

Agreed on the rite of passage, but if you've been on a balance bike before, adding training wheels just gets you to unlearn the balance... 

Check the HA on the JD bug. Dual Crown baby  :thumbup:

Although the Muna is a seriously sexy contender in the freeride category.

Better tyres, plus...check the RAW one. NICE

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Pro_Mini_Front-copy.jpg

My lightie has the Fire Truck version...

11d5d928195dd0a66d3640404af012f7.jpg