December MTB rides around Gordons Bay

BDF

Ok, So I am a MTB noob (not a cycling noob) and I have just acquired a bike (still to be assembled and delivered but...).

I have 2 kids with HT MTB's and will be in Gordons Bay for the first 2 weeks of December.

Question is, where can I ride with my kids? Ideally near GB where I can leave the house on a bike, ride and return without having to drive somewhere.

Obviously nothing too technical - just want to ride with the kids (15 and 13).

I see Wannabees seem to have great trails but that is a bit of a drive from GB to Lord Charles.

Help!

The Wannabees Cycling Club of Somerset West is providing a splendid holiday opportunity to visiting mountain bikers. The club is now offering an opportunity to join your friends and family on the club’s trails for the year-end holiday period at a much-reduced fee. Share in their glowing admiration of the incredible privilege of being able to meander amongst the vines situated at the foot of the majestic Helderberg Mountain. The club’s trails are mostly family friendly and there are more than 90kms of exploration opportunity, which should satisfy the exploration urge of most visiting mountain bikers.

View the trailmap here: http://wannabteam.co...tes/mtb-routes/

The club is offering a 3-month holiday permit, valid from November to January at a fantastic value of only R150 per person. Please contact the club’s secretary at: secretary@wannabteam.com, to arrange your purchase.

Please do not ride the club’s trails without a valid permit. (The trails are marshalled).

If you need a light, you shouldn't be on the trail.

No helmet, no ride.

Stay on the trail, and obey all direction markers.

The club still offers their regular day permits @R40 per day per person which is available at local bicycle shops in the Helderberg basin during office hours, at Somerbosch Wine Estate 7 days a week from 09:00 – 16:30 and, 24/7 at the reception desk of the NH Lord Charles Hotel.

Let the fun begin…

Ok, So I am a MTB noob (not a cycling noob) and I have just acquired a bike (still to be assembled and delivered but...).

I have 2 kids with HT MTB's and will be in Gordons Bay for the first 2 weeks of December.

Question is, where can I ride with my kids? Ideally near GB where I can leave the house on a bike, ride and return without having to drive somewhere.

Obviously nothing too technical - just want to ride with the kids (15 and 13).

I see Wannabees seem to have great trails but that is a bit of a drive from GB to Lord Charles.

Help!

Unfortunately you will most likely need to get into your car to get to a safe and teen-friendly mtb trail. All

Within 20 minutes by car from GB:

Wannabees trail network (can get quite confusing. Took me about 10 solo rides to work it all out)

Grabouw forestry (wines 2 whales A-Z)

Oak Valley / Paul Cluver (can be done as a combined loop)

Lebanon

All these have easier and more challenging loops, so you will be able to mix and match to make everyone happy.

We rode the Wannabee trails on the western side of the R44 a few weeks ago and found them to be very well marked, especially if you also take along the map that is available on their website. It is then quite easy to orientate yourself as to where you are. If you are looking for something not too technical, the  Wannabee trails west of the R44 is definitely an option you should explore. We did about 60 km in all with about 800 m of climbing. Park at Somerbosch (my recommendation) or Lord Charles.

Unfortunately you will most likely need to get into your car to get to a safe and teen-friendly mtb trail. All

Within 20 minutes by car from GB:

Wannabees trail network (can get quite confusing. Took me about 10 solo rides to work it all out)

Grabouw forestry (wines 2 whales A-Z)

Oak Valley / Paul Cluver (can be done as a combined loop)

Lebanon

All these have easier and more challenging loops, so you will be able to mix and match to make everyone happy.

Thanks GLuvs, looked up all these trails, none too far for a drive and they all look quite do-able for non-experienced MTBers!

We rode the Wannabee trails on the western side of the R44 a few weeks ago and found them to be very well marked, especially if you also take along the map that is available on their website. It is then quite easy to orientate yourself as to where you are. If you are looking for something not too technical, the  Wannabee trails west of the R44 is definitely an option you should explore. We did about 60 km in all with about 800 m of climbing. Park at Somerbosch (my recommendation) or Lord Charles.

Thanks vaalkol, Looked these up. Best place for us to kick off is from Lord Charles. That way we can also deposit my wife at Waterstone for a couple of hours while we ride!

The Wannabees Cycling Club of Somerset West is providing a splendid holiday opportunity to visiting mountain bikers. The club is now offering an opportunity to join your friends and family on the club’s trails for the year-end holiday period at a much-reduced fee. Share in their glowing admiration of the incredible privilege of being able to meander amongst the vines situated at the foot of the majestic Helderberg Mountain. The club’s trails are mostly family friendly and there are more than 90kms of exploration opportunity, which should satisfy the exploration urge of most visiting mountain bikers.

View the trailmap here: http://wannabteam.co...tes/mtb-routes/

The club is offering a 3-month holiday permit, valid from November to January at a fantastic value of only R150 per person. Please contact the club’s secretary at: secretary@wannabteam.com, to arrange your purchase.

Please do not ride the club’s trails without a valid permit. (The trails are marshalled).

If you need a light, you shouldn't be on the trail.

No helmet, no ride.

Stay on the trail, and obey all direction markers.

The club still offers their regular day permits @R40 per day per person which is available at local bicycle shops in the Helderberg basin during office hours, at Somerbosch Wine Estate 7 days a week from 09:00 – 16:30 and, 24/7 at the reception desk of the NH Lord Charles Hotel.

Let the fun begin…

Thanks MarickH, I also saw this pose elsewhere and looked up the trails. They look very organised and seem quite family friendly. I see we can pay at the Lord Charles for a day ride pass. Is that payable at the reception or what?

Hi BDF

Yes, the Lord Charles sells the permits at reception.

You can also purchase day permits from the local bike shops in Somerset West and from Somerbosch Bistro on the R44.

You can purchase permits a few days before you plan to cycle, since the permits are issued for a specific date.

You can also try Helderberg Farm on 12 Dec for free as they having a Opening day event.

The bottom xc trails there should be fine for you I would not venture to the Black/red routes as they are not beginner friendly. They will have guided groups on the day.

Check out their facebook page Helderberg trails (Cant link from work). 

Any of the other trails mentioned will also be more than fine to ride and enjoyable. Somerbosch has amazing food and wine.