New Bike- overweight

Muzee

Hi All, I am new to this GREAT forum, and looking to buy my first hardtail MTB, but with a twist…

So I am overweight, but have lost around 30kgs over the last few months (thanks to Banting). I have started to stagnate recently and intend taking up cycling to assist with the additional weight loss. I have a further 20kg’s or so to loose.

I have read through tons of information on these forums on choosing a new bike, but I have no idea which brands or equipment to check that will accommodate my extra weight. In fact, I am not sure if this is something that I need to pay attention to when choosing a bike?

My budget is around R7k.

So far, I am looking at a hardtail, 29er, Medium, Air Shock, Alivio/Deore or similar Groupset, etc.

Any advise would be appreciated J

Hi All, I am new to this GREAT forum, and looking to buy my first hardtail MTB, but with a twist…

So I am overweight, but have lost around 30kgs over the last few months (thanks to Banting). I have started to stagnate recently and intend taking up cycling to assist with the additional weight loss. I have a further 20kg’s or so to loose.

I have read through tons of information on these forums on choosing a new bike, but I have no idea which brands or equipment to check that will accommodate my extra weight. In fact, I am not sure if this is something that I need to pay attention to when choosing a bike?

My budget is around R7k.

So far, I am looking at a hardtail, 29er, Medium, Air Shock, Alivio/Deore or similar Groupset, etc.

Any advise would be appreciated J

what is your current weight ?

Bear in mind you need to buy a helmet and then some too

Yes :) around R7k is just for the bike excl everything else

90kgs

Don't get too hung up on your weight. You height and inseam are more important in determining the right size frame for you. There are heavier ouks than you riding weight weenie bikes.

Yes :) around R7k is just for the bike excl everything else

Cool. Well mediums hardtail xc bikes are everywhere. So its just about getting the best value for money then. Have you seen anything in the classifieds section?

Don't get too hung up on your weight. You height and inseam are more important in determining the right size frame for you. There are heavier ouks than you riding weight weenie bikes.

ok. mind my ignorance, but what features/items do I look for in a bike that is customised to my inseam ? Saddle height and Frame size ?

ok. mind my ignorance, but what features/items do I look for in a bike that is customised to my inseam ? Saddle height and Frame size ?

your length and inseam determines bikes size (small medium large etc)

the bike is then set up to your specific measurements (seat height, handlebar reach etc.)

edit: good starting point to determine frame size required http://www.ebicycles.com/bicycle-tools/frame-sizer/mountain-bike 

Edited by fanievb