2014 Camber carbon, upgrade wheels or fork first?

Saag

What would be the most beneficial over the standard spec?

I have followed the other similar topics of late, and I have done skills training, upgraded to XT brakes, and added the dropper! running nice 2.3 rubber front and back....so what is next?

I see wide lighting's recommended for wheels and RS Revelation for fork.

Which one first (wish I could do both at one :cursing: )? Also, if I go with fork first, Revelation or Pike?

love technical riding (not that I am good at it, just good luck :ph34r: ) Riding places like Hakahana is awesome, but keep in mind I also do a lot of marathons like all typical SA riders.

2 bikes would have been awesome, but what can I do to make this one that I have the best?

Appreciate the feedback 

:clap:  :clap:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wheels first then fork if like me you also do some stage races, Pike is overkill go with Revelation also half the price.

Wheels ZTR Arch EX with Hope EVO2 hubs

Wide lightings are also good

Wide lighting. Arch is very narrow by modern standards.

Thanx Miles, so you in agreement wheels first?

Will the wide lighting be durable enough?

Go for new wheels. You'll "feel" it the most. 

Aren't the Wide Lightning's somewhat infamous for their slow engagement?

Regrding the fork, the new Rev is a damn good fork - the Pike/Yari might be better, but that doesn't make it any lesser of a solid trail fork.

What existing fork and wheels do you have? If you go for a fork consider a bit more travel and thicker stanchions for stiffness so this says Pike or one of the other 34mm/35mm diameter forks.

OHH I run ZTR Crest 2.3 and 2.1 at the back seems fine for me for trails and rocky stuff is that a big no no

No, but if you're looking for new wheels you would experience far greater benefits by going wider. Within reason of course. It's the main reason that the new camber comes with 29mm wide (internal) rims.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Go for new wheels. You'll "feel" it the most.

Aren't the Wide Lightning's somewhat infamous for their slow engagement?

Regrding the fork, the new Rev is a damn good fork - the Pike/Yari might be better, but that doesn't make it any lesser of a solid trail fork.

They used to be, yes. Fixed on new version

Agreed on the fork

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Thanx all, wheels it looks like it will be.

Want to go with wide lightnings if there are no concerns regarding these on rocks etc...

They used to be, yes. Fixed on new version

Agreed on the fork

Not sure if mine is the old ones or the "new" ones, not sure when they changed, got mine in January, but mine is faster than the stock Giant PXC-2 rims hub that I had before. Guess engagement makes a big difference in rough terrain, but I've never felt hampered by mine anywhere.

Thanx all, wheels it looks like it will be.

Want to go with wide lightnings if there are no concerns regarding these on rocks etc...

Ive dented my rear, but it has not affected anything. Was running too low pressure for Magalies rocks ... 1.5, they are thin, but as long as you don't bottom them out then they should be fine ...

Currently have the standard FOX Float CTD Evolution

and 

Roval 29, alloy disc, 26mm wide, 32h

I upgraded my giant wheels to the WL's, and in the process dropped like 600g just on the rims ... and 900g going to tubeless as well.

Next upgrade is my Evo fork as well ... to a 120 Reba, when I can find a good price ...