New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Houses are stupidly priced. It is my single biggest concern and highest expense.

We sold our house and flat in SA just to get a deposit over here.Had to sell our solesto the bank for the next 20 years :eek: 

Avg family home is around €750k.

You are fortunately still young and should get a bond very easy.

What about the weather guys? I hear North Island (Auckland) is far better than the South, but still not great?

What about the weather guys? I hear North Island (Auckland) is far better than the South, but still not great?

Pretty doom and gloom according to the 9hour documentary I watch. Oh no wait that was something else

I have friends in Auckland,my cousin lives in Nelson and my best mate comes from New Zealand

One thing they all agree on is that its all rather sterile and over regulated.

I plan to visit for a holiday but i have no desire to live there.

At the moment Santiago Chile is looking rather attractive as a port in a storm.I like a bit of flavour in my life

My sister is just waiting for unabridged birth certificates for the kids and then all her paperwork etc will commence.

Giving some serious thought to following them over...

What are you doing that side work wise Wayne ?

At the risk of hijacking Wayne's thread - the good lady at home affairs told me that it'll take 6 weeks. I'm on week 12 and still waiting... They can't tell me when it will be ready. What they don't tell you is that there is a bunch of forms you have to submit on application. BI30 to name one... My BI30 has been submitted to them 5 years ago and I (nor the dominee fella) do not have a copy. Now we wait... At least the agent said it is not a train smash if you do not have it... Received an SMS this morning stating that my police clearance is at least getting some attention...

Apologies Wayne, great thread.

Ooops - I was referring to unabridged marriage certificates.

I have friends in Auckland,my cousin lives in Nelson and my best mate comes from New Zealand

One thing they all agree on is that its all rather sterile and over regulated.

I plan to visit for a holiday but i have no desire to live there.

At the moment Santiago Chile is looking rather attractive as a port in a storm.I like a bit of flavour in my life

Interesting, that - I chose NZ because it is a lot less regulated than Aussie; for example, any fool can buy a boat and go to sea here, no training or license necessary (sensible people do a skipper's and radio course first). But as always, it is different strokes for different folks - some Safas here I know were outraged that they got a parking ticket 5 minutes after their time expired (um, that was the deal all along, when it expires it expires).

I don't find it over-regulated, but then I am slipping into middle age and like and appreciate the need for rules and regulations and the necessity for (most) people to follow them. Makes for a better functioning society I spose.

Hope you're coming in summer, reckon you should have a great holiday. Winter...erm, yes, well now there is that.

Sorry for being quiet folks.

Its been hard to find time

i went to go watch Fleetwood Mac last night. It was epic.

I went with intern to go ride a local bike park. Turns out auckland has hills. Big ones. This place is gonna make me lekker strong.

We moved into our own place last week. I am the domestic and gardener. I cant believe how spoilt saffas are for people to take care of us. Here the emphasis is more on self reliance. You clean, garden and pump your own fuel.

It takes a bit of getting used to. But we are adapting.

Gotta run. Gotta go fetch my minions and take them for a bike ride.

Sorry for being quiet folks.

Its been hard to find time

i went to go watch Fleetwood Mac last night. It was epic.

I went with intern to go ride a local bike park. Turns out auckland has hills. Big ones. This place is gonna make me lekker strong.

We moved into our own place last week. I am the domestic and gardener. I cant believe how spoilt saffas are for people to take care of us. Here the emphasis is more on self reliance. You clean, garden and pump your own fuel.

It takes a bit of getting used to. But we are adapting.

Gotta run. Gotta go fetch my minions and take them for a bike ride.

And do you have to unload, pay and pack your own groceries without any till packer to help? ;)

Checkout people actually work in Aus and NZ. 

A single person can swipe your groceries, put them in a bag for you and handle payment  pretty quickly. Mostly because they are standing instead of sitting down and focused on their job instead of talking to 3 other people.

Otherwise you just go to a self checkout and do it all yourself in a few seconds. 

And how I miss paypass! Just tap your card on the register for any purchase below $100 and its done. None of this swiping/signing nonsense.

(buying groceries in SA is perhaps my single biggest peeve, I'm sorry)

Checkout people actually work in Aus and NZ. 

A single person can swipe your groceries, put them in a bag for you and handle payment  pretty quickly. Mostly because they are standing instead of sitting down and focused on their job instead of talking to 3 other people.

Otherwise you just go to a self checkout and do it all yourself in a few seconds. 

And how I miss paypass! Just tap your card on the register for any purchase below $100 and its done. None of this swiping/signing nonsense.

(buying groceries in SA is perhaps my single biggest peeve, I'm sorry)

Sounds like they have quality check out people there....

Here in Suisse its all DIY, which i really don't mind but occasionally you get some real slow people who only start packing after they have paid and then they scrutinise the till slip before packing everything so slow that the next persons groceries have nowhere to go...

Yeah the card payment process... signing of payment slips in SA is really a bit 1980's