New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Yeh man, it is difficult to start new business here. A lot of folk mistakenly believe they can rock up and show the locals how it is done - but it just doesn't work like that, the locals have been at it since forever...

We certainly didn't expect that, but building a business network from scratch just takes a long time. Even finding the right circles to network in takes a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We certainly didn't expect that, but building a business network from scratch just takes a long time. Even finding the right circles to network in takes a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I was not for a minute implying that you thought that (I wouldn't know) - I was thinking more about Darryl Gove, for example. When my brother visited a while ago, he also had similar ideas until we looked at it a bit more closely, and rad006 was also entertaining such notions until we discussed it a bit over dinner and several Speights.

But yes, breaking into the right circles takes time and effort and persistence.

Go ride ya bike it will help make you happy.

That's advice for Mister WP also ;-)

Definitely ups and downs!

I moved here alone. Didn't even know anyone in Christchurch. But the work guys are awesome, made a few other friends, had some move over to both Chch and AKL that I hang out with fairly often. Then there's the dirt bike and trans-Tasman social visits.

I'm busier than ever, but still missing friends and family back home...

...and I haven't turned a pedal in nearly 2 months  :blush:

These 2 things keep me plenty happy, hahaha!

I will dust off the push bike off in time for the opening of the new bike park.

And hey the cold snap will pass, winter is over and the Bay of Islands, Lakes Tarawera and Waikaremoana, the Hauraki Gulf and much, much more, beckon. Yeeha!

I don't know if you are really referring to the actual weather here or figuratively speaking, but riding into work this morning was DAMN cold! The coldest of all my rides in this far, last week was so pleasant. I think we need Trump to come build us a wall to protect us from the Southerly winds .. 

Went riding some trails out by the Waimakariri river (just north of Christchurch) on Saturday. Tons of fun!

And what's pretty amazing is that part from all the city council maintained and designated MTB and hiking trails, these are free, public access, city council maintained and sign posted, dirt bike trails. Pretty freaking cool!

post-10758-0-75676100-1473624592_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-43894300-1473624607_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-34378600-1473624626_thumb.jpg

So the big day today ... my big boet leaves for good to the land of the long white cloud  :wacko:  - sad for me as we have a very close relationship and he is my training/racing partner and best mate. We have done so many things together (Iron man 10 times, Comrades twice he went on to do many more, Epic, Sabie experience 5 times, raced MX, many many MTB away races, soccer in a company team and I could go on and on)

I wish him well and would have done the same if I was in his shoes, both his daughters and their families are there so makes sense. One of the few that I am aware of with the 'I am going to something new and exciting' rather than the 'running away from something' attitude  :thumbup:

Hope to go visit there in a year or 2  :clap:

Edit - just to add they are retiring there so I guess less challenges than most may have?

Edited by NotSoBigBen

So the big day today ... my big boet leaves for good to the land of the long white cloud :wacko: - sad for me as we have a very close relationship and he is my training/racing partner and best mate. We have done so many things together (Iron man 10 times, Comrades twice he went on to do many more, Epic, Sabie experience 5 times, raced MX, many many MTB away races, soccer in a company team and I could go on and on)

I wish him well and would have done the same if I was in his shoes, both his daughters and their families are there so makes sense. One of the few that I am aware of with the 'I am going to something new and exciting' rather than the 'running away from something' attitude [emoji106]

Hope to go visit there in a year or 2 :clap:

Please pm me some of his details. If he is anywhere near us we can get together and make hime feel a little more welcome.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Please pm me some of his details. If he is anywhere near us we can get together and make hime feel a little more welcome.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks mate! Have PM'd

So the big day today ... my big boet leaves for good to the land of the long white cloud  :wacko:  - sad for me as we have a very close relationship and he is my training/racing partner and best mate. We have done so many things together (Iron man 10 times, Comrades twice he went on to do many more, Epic, Sabie experience 5 times, raced MX, many many MTB away races, soccer in a company team and I could go on and on)

I wish him well and would have done the same if I was in his shoes, both his daughters and their families are there so makes sense. One of the few that I am aware of with the 'I am going to something new and exciting' rather than the 'running away from something' attitude  :thumbup:

Hope to go visit there in a year or 2  :clap:

Edit - just to add they are retiring there so I guess less challenges than most may have?

Sorry about that Ben, I know you guys are close. But now you have a new holiday destination.

Where in Niw Zeeluhnd will he be?

I'm guessing Auckland, North Shore or Howick?

What is the weather like over there at this time of the year. Heading to Aus next week Friday.

Starting to warm up but it's been a very wet winter/spring.

Sydney daytime temps are about min 12 to max 20 at the moment.