New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

I'm far to aware of what I am good at and what I am not good at to give kite surfing a go. Flippen dangerous sport that. I also won't ever attempt paragliding, hang gliding or any other sport where lack of skill can result in death!

Modern kites are much safer than those from a few years back. I also wouldn't have touched it before now.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys. Just as I thought this is never going to happen, my offer came in Wednesday night and I resigned yesterday from my SA job. I managed to move my start date out, so I will start on 1 May. Hope to meet most of you on here and getting some riding in.

What is the best option to get my bike there ASAP? 

Hi Guys. Just as I thought this is never going to happen, my offer came in Wednesday night and I resigned yesterday from my SA job. I managed to move my start date out, so I will start on 1 May. Hope to meet most of you on here and getting some riding in.

Fly it with you.

Which airline are you going to fly?

edit: Where are you going to be based etc?

Edited by hayleyearth

Hayley - Flying with Emirates. Will be based in Auckland North (Rodney district) as my work is in Northcote and at this stage looking to live in Gulf Harbour area.

We had some crazy floods here last week. A one-in-one-hundred-year event apparently, with over 200mm of rain falling in one day. Loads of damage to property and severe disruption to the whole area with roads closed. Many farmers lost stock, as cows, sheep and horses were washed out to sea.

One cow had a lucky espape... http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/90491508/cow-moorooned-by-floodwaters-still-high-and-dry

The closest mainland is just over 1km away!

We had some crazy floods here last week. A one-in-one-hundred-year event apparently, with over 200mm of rain falling in one day. Loads of damage to property and severe disruption to the whole area with roads closed. Many farmers lost stock, as cows, sheep and horses were washed out to sea.

One cow had a lucky espape... http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/90491508/cow-moorooned-by-floodwaters-still-high-and-dry

The closest mainland is just over 1km away!

"Until then, she's milking the experience for all it's worth.:clap:  :clap:

My partner and I are looking for a one bedroom or studio apartment preferably on Auckland's North shore. We are having our house built and need accommodation from Easter weekend till the end of June possibly later.

Make sure bike is very clean when you bring it. Customs does not like dirt on anything. 

My partner and I are looking for a one bedroom or studio apartment preferably on Auckland's North shore. We are having our house built and need accommodation from Easter weekend till the end of June possibly later.

Congrats! Where are you building?

Make sure bike is very clean when you bring it. Customs does not like dirt on anything. 

Will do thanx. Plan on full service and clean before I bring it over.

Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

Difficult to answer that if there isn't more information like below...

I did not go look at what Emirates travel policy is... 30kg checked in and 7kg carry on?

Are you getting a container of things sent later or is what you fly with all you are bringing to NZ?

Is biking your life (in the sense that you are more attached to your bike than some of your shoes or clothes etc)?

I am a bit bike crazy, so I will literally just fly anywhere with my bike always the 1st thing I pack - I don't care about the rest.

I fly over with my bike, so I packed the box (cardboard one) till max check in weight with the most valuable things that would get me riding this side (multitool, tyre levers, pump, shoes...I didn't even bring a camelback, I bought one this side), then my carry on I packed ONLY clothes (no shoes or liquids or or) ...I got my mom to make me a light material bag to the dimensions that the airline specify and you will be surprise how much clothes you can pack in 7kg. Fly with your heaviest clothes on - so your winter jacket, closed (leather? or sneakers or work) shoes, favorite heaviest jeans etc). In your carry on pack the clothes you value most, or will need most, so maybe work clothes and a set of riding clothes.

Now your bike box......bike in 1st,  then then riding shoes, then tools as above, then you start loading more 'general' things, one more set of riding clothes, more casual clothes...till you us to 30(?) kgs.

But like I said, it is hard to say if we don't know what all you have to/want to bring over and if you have a container coming or not..

I just cleaned it myself and used a cardboard box from my local bicycle shop to put the bike in. Having your bike serviced in SA will be a lot cheaper. You can PM with any other questions you have.