New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can imagine - you'd hope that existing visa holders would be OK? How long till you can apply for residency? I think there is probably some time before any changes would take effect.

I'm lucky enough to have a passport by now.

Existing visa holders seem to be fine - from what I can find quickly now. PR is ages away; 1 year and 9 months. Unless of course my skills are reintroduced to the scarce skills list, which I doubt will happen.

News coming in is that existing visa holders will have a "grand-father" arrangement. I'm on a 4 year visa which remains eligible for PR. The 2 year visas are now limited and not eligible for PR at the end of their term.

Based in Stratford - small little town with lots of trout in its streams :thumbup:   Its about 30 min from New Plymouth.

Managed to catch a glimpse of the mountain on Monday with a light dusting of snow :D

Very nice part of the world it is...

if only we could see that damn mountain, hahahaha!

there was a permanent cloud around the peak of Mt Taranaki,

But I guess on the South Island we have the same thing with Mt Cook. A colleague of mine did 5 trips from Christchurch to various sides of Mt Cook, before he actually got to see the peak.

So are you based in New Plymouth?

I just got Jetstarred  :cursing: 

I'm supposed to fly Auckland to Sydney 19:00 tomorrow.

It was a business class seat on the Dreamliner.

Due to a plane swap, they have pushed me onto a 4:30am Saturday Morning fligh, in a regular seat on an A320 (No business seats on the A320).

So now I have a crappy seat, on a downgraded plane, at a ridiculous time (4:30am), PLUS I don't live in Auckland, so an extra night.

All they offered was a $200 Jetstar voucher (unlikely I'll fly them again unless I'm forced to), and $150 accommodation reimbursement. Novotel at the airport is $420 for a last minute, 'long weekend' booking.

I should pull a David Dao and get dragged off a plane and sue for millions!

Due to a plane swap, they have pushed me onto a 4:30am Saturday Morning fligh, in a regular seat on an A320 (No business seats on the A320).

So now I have a crappy seat, on a downgraded plane, at a ridiculous time (4:30am), PLUS I don't live in Auckland, so an extra night.

All they offered was a $200 Jetstar voucher (unlikely I'll fly them again unless I'm forced to), and $150 accommodation reimbursement. Novotel at the airport is $420 for a last minute, 'long weekend' booking.

Live it up in AKL a bit, then Uber to the airport and sleep in the terminal like a hobo with all those unwashed tourists. I've done that a few times recently with odd-timed flights to Singapore and Sydney. Being a cheapass has its drawbacks and can be uncomfortable, but it is, well, cheap. Quite weird going from kipping with the backpackers to the Koru lounge's lap of luxury, too.

Live it up in AKL a bit, then Uber to the airport and sleep in the terminal like a hobo with all those unwashed tourists. I've done that a few times recently with odd-timed flights to Singapore and Sydney. Being a cheapass has its drawbacks and can be uncomfortable, but it is, well, cheap. Quite weird going from kipping with the backpackers to the Koru lounge's lap of luxury, too.

hahaha! When I arrived in NZ I did pretty much that. Landed at Christchurch Airport at around 1am. Had a rental car booked but didn't want to pay for a hotel for 5hrs. So i killed time in the airport, carting 3 bags and a boxed bike, until sunrise. All my 'room mates' were backpackers.

#1stworldproblems

If anyone here on this thread is looking for a company to assist with moving money over and you are looking for a referral please let me know.

My wife has financially migrated and released all of her retirement annuities and policies and we received excellent service and a very very competitive price from a company based here.

#1stworldproblems

hahaha yup! Life in NZ only has 1st world problems. I have yet to encounter a 3rd world one.

I have calmed down a bunch since my call to customer care this morning.

They have this stupid voice command system, and when asked to state your name, it isn't very friendly towards South African accents, so it just gets stuck in frustrating loop until it lets you speak to a real person.

then customer care tells me they can't put me on any other flights, not on Jetstar or on any of their code-share partners, because there is no space.

A simple visit to Kayak tells me they are lying, and just want to sell those seats at 3-4x what I paid for mine.

So a 'can't help' is actually a 'don't want to help'.

Anyway, looks like I am getting up at 2am to go to the Airport on Saturday morning, hahaha!

At least I'm flying Qantas Sydney to Christchurch.

EDIT: a quick look on the Jetstar FB page and one can see a few other passengers complaining about that cancelled flight.

Some of those poor people have to drive 3hrs to Auckland for the flight... with kids.

Edited by patches

1st world problems are a lot worse.........terrorism!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say our terrorism is much worse

no, we have nepotism

no, we have nepotism

im sure farmers, and people involved in home invasions who were tortured for no REAL reason will disagree

edit,,,dont come at the crime angle please

Edited by DIPSLICK