New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

So I finally made to NZ yesterday![emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4] . Sorry about the weather i brought with guys.

My bike will arrive tomorrow with U bag (thanx Wayne for the suggestion).

Cant wait to go riding! For the next 8 weeks it will be work and ride to keep my sanity before my wife and kids arrive[emoji22] .

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Welcome to paradise...winter does suck a bit though, I'd file that under 'the ugly'. But I don't like winter anywhere...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So somehow I ended up in a company with no cyclists.....any recommendations for riding in North shore area?

Geez, the Hubber contingent in NZ is growing like mad.

Lets get a list going of all the folks on here that are in the land of the long white cloud.

(forgive me if i dont put your name on here - those that know me well will understand what a Moron I actually am)

Wayne - East Auckland

Ramrod - North Shore

Hayley - East Auckland

Intern - Whakatane

DawieO - 

NiteRider - Maraetai

Delgado - (i think Wellington)

Patches - Earthquake Central

Beanz - Not Sure

Big Bens Brother

Pappa Bear -  Not Sure

Nolipoli - North Shore

Actually, perhaps if you are keen, PM me your local numbers. I will create a whatsapp group for rides and general misbehaving.

Sweet as Bro's (that includes you Hayley)

Might be time to update your list again Wayne?

So somehow I ended up in a company with no cyclists.....any recommendations for riding in North shore area?

If you use Strava check the heat maps. Lots of awesome riding in that area, head North towards Silverdale, fantastic 'countryside' stuff up by Dairy Flat, Puhoi, out to the Kaipara and Shelly Beach, Waiwera, Kaukapakapa, etc. You're spoiled for choice there! East Coast Bays is nice, too, but maybe a bit busy traffic wise...

If you use Strava check the heat maps. Lots of awesome riding in that area, head North towards Silverdale, fantastic 'countryside' stuff up by Dairy Flat, Puhoi, out to the Kaipara and Shelly Beach, Waiwera, Kaukapakapa, etc. You're spoiled for choice there! East Coast Bays is nice, too, but maybe a bit busy traffic wise...

Yeah some nice riding out there indeed. Watch out for possums lying in the road. Can never tell if they are dead or just...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Don't know if it's mentioned in the previous 120 pages, but couple questions:

1. Did you go through an agent?

2. If so, could you recommend yours (or recommend to avoid :) )

3. What is likely cost?

4. How long does it take?

Currently breathing burned tyre smoke every night from Daveyton/Vosloorus (what folks use to keep themselves warm these days) and I swore last year that I would not subject myself to this another winter, yet here I am.

Hi guys

Don't know if it's mentioned in the previous 120 pages, but couple questions:

1. Did you go through an agent?

2. If so, could you recommend yours (or recommend to avoid :) )

3. What is likely cost?

4. How long does it take?

Currently breathing burned tyre smoke every night from Daveyton/Vosloorus (what folks use to keep themselves warm these days) and I swore last year that I would not subject myself to this another winter, yet here I am.

:blush:  :blush: AND ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST

My boet 'if the weather carries on like this I'm coming home!'

Keeping in mind he has gone there to retire and spend time with his 2 daughters and their families ....he is a very outdoors type guy, cycling and camping and stuff

moving to another country is not for sissies. Especially if you have no support structure around you. Also i have step kids with made it harder.

Also it is extremely expensive!

Also it is extremely expensive!

Thanks! I know a few people that have come back from NZ and Oz recently, some stayed there less than a year others more than 10 years. I'm busy pondering a move to Oz at the moment, but not 100% convinced yet. So it's always good to hear first hand experiences.

Thanks! I know a few people that have come back from NZ and Oz recently, some stayed there less than a year others more than 10 years. I'm busy pondering a move to Oz at the moment, but not 100% convinced yet. So it's always good to hear first hand experiences.

You hear a lot about 'all those that came back' (and I'm one) - what you don't hear about are all those that stayed, have stable lives with stable currencies and who, apart from some sadness that things can't seem to work out for the good in Africa so they had to go, have new lives in new places.

Ratio of those that come back compared to those that stay?  In my experience?  If it's 1:20 that would be a lot. Probably 1:50, maybe more.  

And folk are less likely to come back to SA as it is now compared to how it was even just a few years ago.