New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No Road bike, unfortunately! I live on the north shore towards Silverdale (Whangaparaoa to be more exact)

Ah okay. I have a friend in Stanmore Bay :) He works for Oricle USA (currently in Bermuda though) and he is always on my case about "stopping by" on my rides up north.

Nz government deporting disabled 5yo south african girl due to burden on the healthcare system. The balance of her family may stay though. Thats pretty ugly... but no mention here. Makes one wonder.

Nz government deporting disabled 5yo south african girl due to burden on the healthcare system. The balance of her family may stay though. Thats pretty ugly... but no mention here. Makes one wonder.

Maybe just maybe I saw the 'one-liner-headline' a few minutes ago and thought I would like to investigate the full story before commenting.....

I know from many many stories here (my own even) that NZ's healthcare system is top notch and hence I wonder what is the full story behind it? Does the parents have jobs and pay tax etc, what was/is the conditions of their work visa (if any) etc..... I know MANY MANY south Africans that are coming over and trying their luck with 'freebies' - I don't think that is fair.

Until I have time to read into the whole story, I wont make one liner comments.

like most countries to immigrate you must pass the medical. This little girl has failed the medical.

Her family have short term visas and they need renewal constantly. The requirements frequently change and this child is not eligible for residency.

It's not nz fault. The family should know the rules before coming here.

I wasn't knocking the healthcare system of said country. I was more interested in whether it was not reported in NZ. Explaining why there has been no mention...

Jeeesh, okes got quite uppety there.

Edited by 123goat

With the large influx of emigrants from Za, the target countries like Aus,Nz and Canada have the luxury of picking only the best and most needed to suit themselves.

Its a sad reality but that's how it is.................

Edited by coppi

I wasn't knocking the healthcare system of said country. I was more interested in whether it was not reported in NZ. Explaining why there has been no mention...

Jeeesh, okes got quite uppety there.

it was covered extensively in local news.

it was covered extensively in local news.

There we go.

I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned here. I read this thread everytime I notice there is new content. That is pretty ugly then, regardless of the rules. Not much discussion about the bad and ugly here.

There we go.

I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned here. I read this thread everytime I notice there is new content. That is pretty ugly then, regardless of the rules. Not much discussion about the bad and ugly here.

Why is it 'ugly'? NZ is a country, not a charity. And why should any single person, regardless of how touching their story is, be exempt from the same rules that apply to all? The very reason why 1st world countries are 1st world, is because they discriminate as to who they would like to live within their borders...

Whole families are also deported from the US when their visas expire, and from Dubai, and from South Africa. Some of them have equally tragic circumstances. Should they then all be allowed to stay? 

Edited by GrahamS2

Why is it 'ugly'? NZ is a country, not a charity. And why should any single person, regardless of how touching their story is, be exempt from the same rules that apply to all? The very reason why 1st world countries are 1st world, is because they discriminate as to who they would like to live within their borders...

Whole families are also deported from the US when their visas expire, and from Dubai, and from South Africa. Some of them have equally tragic circumstances. Should they then all be allowed to stay?

Dude, I'm saying it's ugly. Ugly for the family. Ugly for the little girl. I do not require your explanation of how the 1st world works, I'm well awear. So, thank you for your reply.

There we go.

do you expect us to discuss every local news story?

This thread is about the PERSONAL journey of each Hubber living in NZ. This family has no connection to any of us that I can tell.

Sounds like you are trolling.

do you expect us to discuss every local news story?

This thread is about the PERSONAL journey of each Hubber living in NZ. This family has no connection to any of us that I can tell.

Sounds like you are trolling.

Not at all. Just thought it would get a mention. The end.

Not at all. Just thought it would get a mention. The end.

".....Caitlyn Davies and her father, Jonathan, arrived in New Zealand on a work visa in 2015.

A few months later Caitlyn's mother Charmaine, and then 1-year-old brother, Jonathan, arrived in New Zealand on work and visitor visas. They were granted further visas in 2016.

Caitlyn's interim visa expired in July last year, meaning she was unlawfully in New Zealand.

Since then the family has fought for her to stay in the country.

Her father works on a farm near Geraldine......"

Their Visa conditions stipulate that it is time to go.  They knew the rules when they signed up and now they would like to change it - which NZers don't allow.

There is other means for her to stay in the country (medical waiver) but with a work visa for the parents its unlikely.

Sorry to say but this is the parents fault.  What really gets my blood boiling is ZARs that demand and think they are entitled to privileges of NZ citizens - you are a guest in their land until you are a citizen.

Edited by Pappa Bear

Dude, I'm saying it's ugly. Ugly for the family. Ugly for the little girl. I do not require your explanation of how the 1st world works, I'm well awear. So, thank you for your reply.

"Ugly OF the family" I would say, not "for".

I would take no 'short cuts' to get my family here even if I want to have them here with me so so badly.

After working over 80hrs last week I decided to take yesterday off and scoot around the Banks Peninsula.

The weather was't ideal, and I got caught in that cold-front rainstorm on the way back... but still a good day out.

post-10758-0-23355300-1497395397_thumb.jpg

Heading from Akaroa to Flea Bay