New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Just received this email from my daughters school.

She is busy with a school play that takes place in the evening.

Dear Parents,

The children have had a very busy time this week with a night time performance last night and another one tomorrow plus a matinee performance. As a result they are very tired.

Please feel free to let your child have a bit of a sleep in on Friday and bring them to school later once they have had a good sleep and are feeling refreshed.

Kind Regards.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah okay. I have a friend in Stanmore Bay :) He works for Oricle USA (currently in Bermuda though) and he is always on my case about "stopping by" on my rides up north.

Let me know when you planning to stop by!

Dear Parents,

The children have had a very busy time this week with a night time performance last night and another one tomorrow plus a matinee performance. As a result they are very tired.

Please feel free to let your child have a bit of a sleep in on Friday and bring them to school later once they have had a good sleep and are feeling refreshed.

Kind Regards.

That is amazing and the way it should be everywhere, instead we are breeding unhappy robots...

That is amazing and the way it should be everywhere, instead we are breeding unhappy robots...

Oh how dandy...........that also happens here if you send your kids to a decent(private) school !

Now you are probably going to tell me that in the land of milk and honey (NZ) school is cheap bla bla bla.....

Its all about choices, I have dual citizenship and choose SA at the moment, you made yours!

This is not for you rad006 but aimed at the NZ clan

Edited by coppi

Oh how dandy...........that also happens here if you send your kids to a decent(private) school !

Now you are probably going to tell me that in the land of milk and honey (NZ) school is cheap bla bla bla.....

Its all about choices, I have dual citizenship and choose SA at the moment, you made yours!

dude... vat 'n chill pill. 

Yes, some schools do that here as well. Most, however, don't. Before you try to tell us that private school "is the best" and no model c / govt schools are decent ('cos only private schools are, you know) just take a step back and think about what you're saying... 

In terms of what he's said - he's right. It SHOULD be like that everywhere. Fact is, it's not. The school that Wayne's lightie is at is probably one of the more progressive in his area. They may all do that, or they may not. Doesn't detract from Rad's statement. 

Well done for manufacturing some outrage this morning.... 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Why do you feel the need to take aim?

".....Caitlyn Davies and her father, Jonathan, arrived in New Zealand on a work visa in 2015.

A few months later Caitlyn's mother Charmaine, and then 1-year-old brother, Jonathan, arrived in New Zealand on work and visitor visas. They were granted further visas in 2016.

Caitlyn's interim visa expired in July last year, meaning she was unlawfully in New Zealand.

Since then the family has fought for her to stay in the country.

Her father works on a farm near Geraldine......"

Their Visa conditions stipulate that it is time to go.  They knew the rules when they signed up and now they would like to change it - which NZers don't allow.

There is other means for her to stay in the country (medical waiver) but with a work visa for the parents its unlikely.

Sorry to say but this is the parents fault.  What really gets my blood boiling is ZARs that demand and think they are entitled to privileges of NZ citizens - you are a guest in their land until you are a citizen.

Well put... but not sure why you guys are even bothering with replies - it's a storm in a teacup, rules is rules.

And didn't know you guys had been appointed the NZ news agency...

Glad to see most of you are adapting pretty well, it's nice to know there are options out there (life goes on and all that) if things go pear shaped here (some reckon they already have).

My long term sticking points with NZ remain though - the weather (more my wife than me, I could probably make it work, but she's complaining about winter here already and apart from it dipping under 5 degrees some nights, the days are pretty awesome still), but more importantly our families - I just couldn't do it. I guess that may be why I choose to be so optimistic about SA and see the good instead of the obvious bad.

Good luck and keep making it work  :thumbup:

Myles & nolipoli, I am chilled...............thanks.

I keep up with events on here because I like to keep myself informed, but TMO can get a little anal sometimes.........

Edited by coppi

dude... vat 'n chill pill.

Yes, some schools do that here as well. Most, however, don't. Before you try to tell us that private school "is the best" and no model c / govt schools are decent ('cos only private schools are, you know) just take a step back and think about what you're saying...

In terms of what he's said - he's right. It SHOULD be like that everywhere. Fact is, it's not. The school that Wayne's lightie is at is probably one of the more progressive in his area. They may all do that, or they may not. Doesn't detract from Rad's statement.

Well done for manufacturing some outrage this morning....

Agreed. The high blood pressure cleared my arteries nicely on my way home.

Great way of highlighting earning difference and making anyone whose child doesn't go to a "decent private school" inferior.

Proper bell end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. The high blood pressure cleared my arteries nicely on my way home.

Great way of highlighting earning difference and making anyone whose child doesn't go to a "decent private school" inferior.

Proper bell end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THAT is definitely NOT what I implied or am about, you made that assumption !

Dear Parents,

Kind Regards.

My daughters at a Model C school and I've been incredibly impressed at how much more flexible and caring the schools system seem to be these days compared to when I went to school (and I went to a very good school by most peoples accounts)

Sure our schooling model is not quite Swedish standards in terms of progression, but it's nice to see the massive positive steps in so many regards. It's obviously not the case with all SA schools, but there are still plenty of fantastic schools around - even non-private ones.

actually, you kinda did. You may not have meant it that way, but the way you typed it made it very clear. 

"Decent private school" implies a private school that is decent

"decent (private) school" implies that only private schools are decent. The parentheses supply an additional qualification for the term "Decent"

It's a small yet critical distinction. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Why so nasty?

There was nothing wrong with what he said.

You made reaching that assumption just too easy.

I know this is a primary school. Thank goodness. Wayne being the savvy hard working guy that you are, surely you would also want your kids, when they are in high school, to know that sometimes you have to work late and sometimes you will be tired, but you need to show up the next day? For little laaities I agree, but some kids coming through high school nowadays, need a reality check that hard work hasn't killed too many kids in developed societies. Eksemaarnet.