New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Oh ja, also have a brand new SRAM XX Eagle 12sp trigger shifter off my new bike. I'm a gripshift man.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While we talking mountain biking, I have a whole lot of 9 speed stuff from my (3rd) broken S-Works Epic. So if any Kiwikaners/bikehub NZ Tee Em people want anything below, get in touch and let's make some deal:

• Almost new SRAM Grip Shifters
  • SRAM XO rear der, red, blackbox, VGC
  • Almost new XT cassette and chain
  • XT cranks in good condition, but worn big blade (middle ring is new, steel)
  • Tektro Auriga Pro brakes, white, good condition (off my wife's bike, she got my Deore XTs)
  • White Ritchey WCS low rise handlebar, VGC, cut to 56cm (IIRC)
  • Black Ritchey WCS 10cm stem, good cond.
  • Almost new black Fizik Gobi saddle
  • S-Works carbon seatpost
  • Almost new Rock Shox Reba 120/100mm travel fork (tapered)
  • Collection of FDs including new XT 10sp, older XT 9sp, SLX 9sp
  • Set of Roval Controle E5 wheels with discs, older wheels but very light. Rear is buckled, but has a brand new DT Swiss rim to fit. Hubs prob need a service. With tyres.

I've also got a brand new Octane 1 Zircus jump bike frame; bought it, turned out it wasn't soemthing I needed. Alu, small (but supposed to be medium).

If anything sounds interesting, I'll send you photos and we can haggle. Ekse.

What kind of money are you looking for on the brakes and Crankset?

I'd be happy with $120 for brakes and cranks...PM me your email address or phone number so I can whatsapp pictures...

In other news, I interviewed the government CTO the other day. This will annoy the hell out of people like Goat123 and maybe a few others, but government services are pretty impressive. You can get a passport within 5 days without leaving your desk, everything is done digitally. You can pay your GST with one click of a button from your accounting software. And other stuff. Read the interview here if you're into that sort of thing:

http://istart.co.nz/nz-feature-article/citizen-driven-tech-enabled-nz-civil-service/

I'm on a series set in Woodhill... Just had my 1st scene shot, how random is that :)

WOW, any pics?

WOW, any pics?

No phones allowed on set, but I will let you guys know when the scenes will be out on the series. :)

In other news, I interviewed the government CTO the other day. This will annoy the hell out of people like Goat123 and maybe a few others, but government services are pretty impressive. You can get a passport within 5 days without leaving your desk, everything is done digitally. You can pay your GST with one click of a button from your accounting software. And other stuff. Read the interview here if you're into that sort of thing:

http://istart.co.nz/nz-feature-article/citizen-driven-tech-enabled-nz-civil-service/

I should mention that I did my tax return online in about 15 minutes and had my refund paid out within 4 days. Nice little bonus that.

I can't submit my last SA one yet...

I should mention that I did my tax return online in about 15 minutes and had my refund paid out within 4 days. Nice little bonus that.

The day is approaching. Will be good to have some pocket change ;) Hoping that SARS doesn't audit me while over here!

I arrives at EXACTLY the WRONG time last year, so no 2016 tax refund for me in SA or in NZ. Might get an SA one this year though.

I arrives at EXACTLY the WRONG time last year, so no 2016 tax refund for me in SA or in NZ. Might get an SA one this year though.

Given that SARS has been looted, good luck with that.  Last year I had to resubmit the same documents three times because it is easier for SARS to respond 'you need to submit your documents' each time their 21 day SLA limit is reached than just to refund your money.  It still took several months after last duplicate submission to get paid.

Them: You need to submit your documents. 

Me: I have.  What is missing?

Them: Your documents.

Me: Which ones?

Them: Documents.

Me: Which documents?  What do you need?

Them: We can't say.  You must submit them.

Repeat x3.

I haven't even sent in this year's return - still too angry from last year.  Or is that now two years ago...?  Hmm.  No longer fkn care.

Quick question for you guys...what are good news sources to follow for updates on happenings in NZ...social,politics and economical.Also if there is stuff that is more Auckland focused?

Quick question for you guys...what are good news sources to follow for updates on happenings in NZ...social,politics and economical.Also if there is stuff that is more Auckland focused?

IMHO, there are no really good news sources here. The main ones are very tabloid-y (especially online). Have a look at www.nzherald.co.nz and www.stuff.co.nz. For more sober and objective news look at www.rnz.co.nz. And a new recently launched site is www.newsroom.co.nz, so we'll see how they turn out.

Before we moved out here I used to listen to RNZ National on the radio when driving around. They have very good news and current affairs shows.

For financial news, www.interest.co.nz isn't bad.

ETA...

Forgot about thespinoff.co.nz which has some really good editorial stuff. Often Auckland-focused too. 

Edited by niterider

I skim the tabloidy stuff mentioned by Niterider. But I also regularly read www.kiwiblog.co.nz and www.whaleoil.co.nz (blogs to the right; David Farrar is a highly astute chap, Cam Slater also, but Slater is a gutter operator - with excellent political connections) and then www.thestandard.org.nz and www.thedailyblog.co.nz (which are blogs on the left, run by idiot Lyn Prentice and amusing buffoon Martyn Bradbury, respectively). There's also Richard Harman's www.politik.co.nz for good, sober political analysis. These sources have provided me with massive political and 'pulse' insight into who's who and what's going on in Kiwiland...

Oh, and of course, NBR.co.nz - business/economy news, very good publication but subscription and the subs are not cheap.

I skim the tabloidy stuff mentioned by Niterider. But I also regularly read www.kiwiblog.co.nz and www.whaleoil.co.nz (blogs to the right; David Farrar is a highly astute chap, Cam Slater also, but Slater is a gutter operator - with excellent political connections) and then www.thestandard.org.nz and www.thedailyblog.co.nz (which are blogs on the left, run by idiot Lyn Prentice and amusing buffoon Martyn Bradbury, respectively). There's also Richard Harman's www.politik.co.nz for good, sober political analysis. These sources have provided me with massive political and 'pulse' insight into who's who and what's going on in Kiwiland...

Haha, I skipped mentioning the blogs. I think they're all crap. Whaleoil is literal crap, and I find kiwiblog and dailyblog too one-eyed in their respective views, although there is good content mixed in. Mostly I get too annoyed reading either.