New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

This weekends weather looks good.... #justsaying

I recon Hunua will be pretty muddy at the moment. I will probably head to Woodhill again on Saturday if anyone is keen to join. Looking at doing around 2,5- 3 hours of riding.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recon Hunua will be pretty muddy at the moment. I will probably head to Woodhill again on Saturday if anyone is keen to join. Looking at doing around 2,5- 3 hours of riding.

I have a 4h45m road ride planned for Saturday  :wacko:

I'd be keen to MTB next weekend again!

Hey Intern.

Who should I vote for?

(Can I get a nice snapshot of New Zealand's current political situation)

Anyone else is free to comment.

Edited by Wayne Potgieter

Hi guys

What is the Kiwi equivalent of a Polo Vivo, and what would a reasonable second hand one cost?

I hear that second hand Japanese is the way to go?  Corolla?  Yaris? What do they consider a cheap-cost-of-ownership runabout?

Hi guys

What is the Kiwi equivalent of a Polo Vivo, and what would a reasonable second hand one cost?

I hear that second hand Japanese is the way to go?  Corolla?  Yaris? What do they consider a cheap-cost-of-ownership runabout?

Hi Dave

Its the Honda Jazz/Fit. Best bang for buck. It would be my 1st choice. And those magic seats work well for transporting your bike.

Speaking of visas, I am having to file a "variation of conditions" for my Work to Residence visa, based on the fact that I am no longer based in Christchurch, and I am not employed in the role that I originally obtained that visa on.

Anyone else filed one of these before? Do they take long to process? And can one travel freely while the application is in? (I'm off to Sydney this weekend).

Hey Patches,

Yeah I did this last year. If I remember correctly it took about a month and cost a couple hundred dollars.

I dunno about traveling, cos you would have to hand in your passport, wouldn't you?

Hey Patches,

Yeah I did this last year. If I remember correctly it took about a month and cost a couple hundred dollars.

I dunno about traveling, cos you would have to hand in your passport, wouldn't you?

I had to do it after one year and it was not accepted so had to clear out.  Cost a few bob and had to have Tax clearance before they would allow me to leave.

(Should have made a plan 'cos it is not going well here.)

I had to do it after one year and it was not accepted so had to clear out.  Cost a few bob and had to have Tax clearance before they would allow me to leave.

(Should have made a plan 'cos it is not going well here.)

What was the basis of the non acceptance? Wow, that's quite a thing to go through...

Change of management at the company.  LIFO and would not accept me farming In NZ even though I have distinctions in what I did.

Yeah, right, as they say In NZ - ask the blonde, she is in charge.

Hi guys

Basically any cheap Japanese car (using whatever your budget is, as the definition of cheap). There are heaps of models to choose from.

What a gorgeous country.

The weekend in Nelson was amazing. We stayed at a quirky little place called the Wheelhouse Inn. The owner, Ralph and his wife Susan, left Long Beach California in 1973 to sail around the world. After a year island hopping around the South Pacific, they stopped over in NZ to sit out the wet season. They never left. They sold the boat and after the 2 kids were born they moved to Nelson and set up the inn. Everything is nautical themed and our room (The Captains Quarters) was decorated to look like, well...a captains quarters.

Saturday we got up a bit early and went to the Nelson Market. After this, we took the kids to Tahunanui beach. What a stunning beach. There is a picture of it in the winter bliss. Snow covered mountains in the background. After the beach, we decided to go check out rabbit island. This is definitely apple countryside. So many Orchards....

After Rabbit island we took a slow drive to Abel Tasman national Park. With a few short walks in the park the kids were starting to get a little bit grumpy.

We then returned to Nelson and had a late lunch/early supper at the East Street Cafe.. essentially hippy paradise. I felt out of place because i have washed my hair within the last 6 months, but the food was excellent.

We then watched a gorgeous sunset over the bay.

Sunday morning, we dove to the town of Mapua and had one of the best coffees of my life at the java hut. We sat at a long table (the only table in the place) and spoke with all the locals having a quick cuppa and then went exploring in the village. Its such a quaint little town.

On the way back to Nelson, we stopped at the World of Wearable art museum and the classic car museum. This was a real treat. The kids giggled at all the crazy bra designs. I realized how old I am getting when three of the cars I have owned in my life were in the museum. My kids asked if plastic existed when I was born! the little ****s.

We then took a climb up the little mountain that is the exact center of New Zealand. That was pretty special.

After this, it was time to head to the airport. At check in the lady at the counter told me that boarding was through gate 1. She did not find me amusing when I asked how many gates there were. those that have traveled in the regions will understand why this is actually hilarious. Small town airports are not exactly very big.

But the truly amazing part of the entire story is that my flight was on time....and yes, we flew jet star!

I will post some pictures in a few minutes.