New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today marks 3 years of residency for us.

2 years temporary and 1 year permanent.

In 18 months, we wll be able to apply for citizenship (assuming no international travel in the last 6 months)

Im pretty stoked about that.

Congrats!

I'm sure it has felt like it has flown by!

For the Aucklanders

As many of you may know, NZTA and AT have been umming-and-aaahing about building a skypath across the harbor bridge, making a pedestrian or bicycle commute to the North Shore possible.

There's a public demonstration planned for Sunday 26th May at 9am.

Grab your bikes and ride the bridge!

http://www.skypath.org.nz/2019/05/aucklanders-skypath-needs-you-public-demonstration-of-support-sunday-9am-may-26/

Unfortunately I will be on my way back from a conference in Melbourne that day. 

But yeah, good cause to support!

In 18 months, we wll be able to apply for citizenship (assuming no international travel in the last 6 months)

Can you believe it!

It feels like last year that I gave you a call and we chatted about moving to NZ. All systems go for citizenship!

Can't flpn wait. 

Have applied for PR, they came back and wanted a bunch of medical stuff/tests for me. For some reason they seem to think I'm going to pop my clogs on their dime.  A bit heart-in-mouth at the moment.

I'm just on the other side of the Domain (at the hospital). We should meet up for lunch one-day. Gather all those on this thread that work within walking distance from Newmarket.

Who else is there?

I work in Greenlane so could join.????

I work in Greenlane so could join.

At the hospital?

If so that's awesome! Staff shuttle makes it easy to get across to Grafton.

At the hospital?

If so that's awesome! Staff shuttle makes it easy to get across to Grafton.

Public trust building..cnr of great south and greenlane. I gym/ swim at the Olympic pool in New Market once or twice a week during lunch so can meet up for a coffee for sure at some stage.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats squire!

How long after first residency date are you eligible to apply for citizenship?

Congrats squire!

How long after first residency date are you eligible to apply for citizenship?

Typically citizenship requires 5yrs of residency.

Hence why some people that come over on a Talent - Accredited Employer visa switch (on their own accord) to a Skilled Migrant Visa so that they can start the 5yr countdown asap.

But then once that is granted it is 2yrs to Permanent Residency, whist the Talent - Accredited Employer visa holders can *fast track to PR after 2yrs of working for said accredited employer.

If citizenship is ones goal then the Skilled Migrant route can shave around 2yrs off the process (5yrs vs 7yrs total).

For those with British passports who are not overly concerned (even with Brexit looming), then Talent  - Accredited Employer will get one PR slightly *quicker, and a few thousand dollars cheaper.

*Fast tracking from Talent - Accredited Employer to PR is subject to a few criteria, one being a minimum annual salary of $90,000.

Edited by patches

Typically citizenship requires 5yrs of residency.

Hence why some people that come over on a Talent - Accredited Employer visa switch (on their own accord) to a Skilled Migrant Visa so that they can start the 5yr countdown asap.

But then once that is granted it is 2yrs to Permanent Residency, whist the Talent - Accredited Employer visa holders can *fast track to PR after 2yrs of working for said accredited employer.

If citizenship is ones goal then the Skilled Migrant route can shave around 2yrs off the process (5yrs vs 7yrs total).

For those with British passports who are not overly concerned (even with Brexit looming), then Talent  - Accredited Employer will get one PR slightly *quicker, and a few thousand dollars cheaper.

*Fast tracking from Talent - Accredited Employer to PR is subject to a few criteria, one being a minimum annual salary of $90,000.

I hope they have a flow chart for that process - its complex enough to need one.

I hope they have a flow chart for that process - its complex enough to need one.

Yup! they totally do!

And I also wonder what's happening with the parental residence visas? They closed the process because it needed an overhaul. They were inundated with applications.

There is still the Parental Retirement Resident visa, but that requires the parent to have $1,000,000 to invest, $500,000 to live off, and an annual income/pension of $60,000 pa.

... don't think there are many Saffer retirees with that kinda loot floating around.... definitely not my mom.