New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Back to the discussion of going to interviews when there on a visitors visa - a mate warned me last night of carrying anything on me that may suggest I am looking for a job as customs could hoof you. I checked my visa conditions and it simply states I cannot work.

I am there on a recce mission and holiday primarily and would simply want a meet and greet with some of the recruitment agencies and maybe a bank or two HR dept just so they know I am serious and can put a face to a name. I most certainly do not want to start working whilst there.

It seems to be accepted that you can interview whilst on a visitor visa but is it worth the risk of carrying a cv, job spec etc with you in case you get that overly zealous immigration officer - would it be safer to print once that side through customs or is it a non event?

upload your stuff to a cloud drive and I’ll print it all out for you when you get here.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys, great tips, much appreciated. I am going to be in NZ for 2 weeks checking things out so guessing I will be making a few calls and then obviously your usual data stuff ie maps, Google etc - any recommendation as to how much data I would need to purchase or is it easy enough to top up data and calls

I've never used pay-as-you-go but if I use my international roaming (when I've been in the US or Aus) as a gauge, I'd think that 1GB should be enough data, and I'd say 100min.

As mentioned before NZ is way more relaxed on the whole getting sim cards thing. In fact when I landed in Christchurch at midnight nearly 4yrs ago, fresh off the boat, I walked straight up to a Spark kiosk in Arrivals (surprisingly still open), and asked for a pay-as-you-go sim. Within 10min and with only a passport (if I remember correctly), I had a contract with an added international calling pack. No 3 months bank statements. No proof of residence. Not even a bank account as they simply bill you each month and it's up to you to pay. So easy!

Thanks guys, great tips, much appreciated. I am going to be in NZ for 2 weeks checking things out so guessing I will be making a few calls and then obviously your usual data stuff ie maps, Google etc - any recommendation as to how much data I would need to purchase or is it easy enough to top up data and calls

Here are the Spark details for a travel Sim. You get a 1 or 2 month option, but it sounds like the $29 1 month option should be sufficient for your needs. I used this option when I first arrived and then just converted it to a Prepaid when I got my work visa. https://www.spark.co.nz/shop/mobile/travel-pack/

You don't need to pre purchase it as you will be able to get it at the airport on arrival.

I just got from NZ yesterday. I spent 3 weeks there.

Brutal flight - 5 flights and 36 hrs of travel..

That aside..

My views -

I was in Portobello - on the Dunedin Peninsula. South Island, to visit my kids who moved there in Oct 2018.

NZ really is a beautiful country in many ways. Every turn is a new sight. The diversity of the landscape is just mind blowing.

It works, but then coming from SA its easy to see that, compared to how things are so different back here.

Portobello is a small town, if you can even call it that.. 2 bars, 1 convenience shop - dairy as they call it, 1 cafe, fire station, masonic hall, bowling green, local school and that's pretty much it.

Simple life, a good life. Everything you want and everything that is not the norm back here in SA.

Good schools, good govt health care, great public spaces etc and no bull****.

If only the govt recognized my skill set (of which there is plenty work available - mostly freelance as is it is here) - they don't. So a skilled migrant visa is out of the question, plus I'm 46, so that doesn't work in my favor. I would need to sell up, prove I have a gazillion in the bank to not be a burden on the state or get a job offer in where no locals could fill the position.

Reading in the local papers the country has a economy that surpasses the supply, so the laws of supply and demand kick in. The economy grows - the demand kicks in, but they cant supply the required amount of skills that have opened up due to the growth. More plumbers needed, more electricians needed, more IT skilled folks, more engineers etc - its a symptom of economic success in a country of 4mill people or so. You can create courses and educate but when you need 10 plumbers but can only get 5 what then? - Migrant visas and entice a foreign populace to the country which perpetuates the problem. More housing, more pressure on the state. more potential social issues. I get it - but it is very welcoming culture overall.

I ran just about every day along the bay and took in the sights, sounds and smells. Outdoor living is a big thing - whether its fishing, boating, cycling, walking etc.

I really don't think you could want more out of a country.

For those of you who have moved there well done!

Back to the discussion of going to interviews when there on a visitors visa - a mate warned me last night of carrying anything on me that may suggest I am looking for a job as customs could hoof you. I checked my visa conditions and it simply states I cannot work.

I am there on a recce mission and holiday primarily and would simply want a meet and greet with some of the recruitment agencies and maybe a bank or two HR dept just so they know I am serious and can put a face to a name. I most certainly do not want to start working whilst there.

It seems to be accepted that you can interview whilst on a visitor visa but is it worth the risk of carrying a cv, job spec etc with you in case you get that overly zealous immigration officer - would it be safer to print once that side through customs or is it a non event?

The main reason customs hoofs people is for bio-security suspicions. Seriously, it appears to be their number 1 concern and the only times I have ever had luggage opened up and searched was when I had MTBs coming into the country with me.

I think you would be EXTREMELY unlucky to have your bags searched and issue taken with some printed CV's. But perhaps play it safe as Wayne suggests, you'll look less nervous that way when you're going though customs and they won't suspect you of biltong smuggling. (when I first arrived a bio-security officer saw my Saffer passport and asked if I was carrying biltong, haha).

I just got from NZ yesterday. I spent 3 weeks there.

Brutal flight - 5 flights and 36 hrs of travel..

That aside..

My views -

I was in Portobello - on the Dunedin Peninsula. South Island, to visit my kids who moved there in Oct 2018.

NZ really is a beautiful country in many ways. Every turn is a new sight. The diversity of the landscape is just mind blowing.

It works, but then coming from SA its easy to see that, compared to how things are so different back here.

Portobello is a small town, if you can even call it that.. 2 bars, 1 convenience shop - dairy as they call it, 1 cafe, fire station, masonic hall, bowling green, local school and that's pretty much it.

Simple life, a good life. Everything you want and everything that is not the norm back here in SA.

Good schools, good govt health care, great public spaces etc and no bull****.

If only the govt recognized my skill set (of which there is plenty work available - mostly freelance as is it is here) - they don't. So a skilled migrant visa is out of the question, plus I'm 46, so that doesn't work in my favor. I would need to sell up, prove I have a gazillion in the bank to not be a burden on the state or get a job offer in where no locals could fill the position.

Reading in the local papers the country has a economy that surpasses the supply, so the laws of supply and demand kick in. The economy grows - the demand kicks in, but they cant supply the required amount of skills that have opened up due to the growth. More plumbers needed, more electricians needed, more IT skilled folks, more engineers etc - its a symptom of economic success in a country of 4mill people or so. You can create courses and educate but when you need 10 plumbers but can only get 5 what then? - Migrant visas and entice a foreign populace to the country which perpetuates the problem. More housing, more pressure on the state. more potential social issues. I get it - but it is very welcoming culture overall.

I ran just about every day along the bay and took in the sights, sounds and smells. Outdoor living is a big thing - whether its fishing, boating, cycling, walking etc.

I really don't think you could want more out of a country.

For those of you who have moved there well done!

I love rural NZ, especially down south!

What line of business are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

I love rural NZ, especially down south!

What line of business are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

I work in the event industry. So its concerts, festivals, corporate work, road shows, product launches etc as the a technical production manager. Procuring and facilitating suppliers, scheduling, budgets, communication and logistics.

Small industry in SA with even smaller budgets. Small industry in NZ but with better budgets!

(when I first arrived a bio-security officer saw my Saffer passport and asked if I was carrying biltong, haha).

Had the exact same experience.

I work in the event industry. So its concerts, festivals, corporate work, road shows, product launches etc as the a technical production manager. Procuring and facilitating suppliers, scheduling, budgets, communication and logistics.

Small industry in SA with even smaller budgets. Small industry in NZ but with better budgets!

That's quite a specific skill set. If you wanted to, you could probably find a way.

The immigration agent I used suggested that I include a statement along the lines of:

"I plan to visit some friends and do some sightseeing while evaluating the suitability of New Zealand as a country for me and my family to live in."

in my visa application itinerary.

That way you make your intensions clear.

Just last week I saw a job on Seek (or was it Linkedin) from Auckland council looking for someone in that space........ if you get a job offer (from a accredited employer) you are basically in..... just look for the job.

Also 46 isn't old at all!

Just last week I saw a job on Seek (or was it Linkedin) from Auckland council looking for someone in that space........ if you get a job offer (from a accredited employer) you are basically in..... just look for the job.

Also 46 isn't old at all!

Apparently Auckland Council is the place to be. I work with a Saffer who moved here about 4yrs ago. he must have been early-to-mid 40's when he moved.

He got over on an accredited employer visa with Auckland Council as a Quality Manager. Apparently they had a 3 day work from home policy and if they did their 40hrs in 4 days they could take Friday off.

Sounds pretty great to me! I shoud ask him why he ever left :lol:

Apparently Auckland Council is the place to be. I work with a Saffer who moved here about 4yrs ago. he must have been early-to-mid 40's when he moved.

He got over on an accredited employer visa with Auckland Council as a Quality Manager. Apparently they had a 3 day work from home policy and if they did their 40hrs in 4 days they could take Friday off.

Yip, wanted to edit my post to add that too....heard also it is a great place to work! many benefits!

This is one of the huge benefits of my job.

Contract says 40 hours a week needed. Boss doesnt care how.

Great when you have a holiday planned, you pull 4 ten hour days of meaningful work and get a friday off (the proviso being you are still contactable in case)

If I play my cards right, and I do the 4 days from home, its very easy to do the 10 hour days as I dont lose 2 hours in AKL traffic.

I am grateful for that concession in my contract.