New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

The good, bad & ugly all in 1...

The recent travel conditions (14 day self isolation) announced in both Australia and New Zealand.

I agree that we need to assist in flattening the curve and toughening up at the borders can only help. So that's a good thing. But it does create a whole new batch of issues, in and of itself.

Anyone here got any travel plans that are/may be affected by this?

I have an Aus trip that I may cancel because 14 day isolation in Aus followed by 14 day isolation in NZ is not feasible.

Australia implemented the same as of today. My parents were due to visit me in April from SA and have had to cancel their trip.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been struggling to get a visa for the folks since December - came through about two weeks ago, just in time for everything to become really squirrelly.

We've decided to get them out regardless, the main reason being that we'd prefer them to be sick here rather than Grahamstown.  However they say they can't be ready to travel for 10 days so who knows what the situation will be by then.

Two weeks isolation isn't much of a stress as they're gonna be hammered by the flights anyway.  Just a shame they will not be able to enjoy NZ properly. 

A part of me says that stashed away in their retirement home they might be less exposed than in a family situation here, esp with a potential plague monkey student - but if they got sick there, then there are problems.

Edit: They only got two months - I thought they were supposed to get 9 months during the next 18 months?

Edited by davetapson

Australia implemented the same as of today. My parents were due to visit me in April from SA and have had to cancel their trip.

The same with us. Wife's parents due to arrive 30 March. Cancelled until unknown date.

The same with us. Wife's parents due to arrive 30 March. Cancelled until unknown date.

Yep, same here. Parents in law supposed to fly out in 2 weeks. Now they going to stay there rather.

Business travel to US also stopped for myself.

Good, bad and ugly rolled into one, again:

Coronavirus support package announced. $12 billion in relief. Businesses can apply for up to $150 000 in support. Applications can be submitted online immediately after the announcement.

https://www.workandincome.govt.nz/products/a-z-benefits/covid-19-support.html

Good: Fast, decisive.

Bad: Taxpayer getting rooted in another lolly scramble.

Ugly: Beneficiaries get a permanent $25 a week permanently 'because coronavirus'??

I can imagine that went down like a cup of cold sick...

She was not amused...but 3 weeks in and she hasn't exactly confirmed how much of a smartypants I must surely be, but also appears to have accepted the validity of that decision!

Looks like all of us in Brissie (who have squatter's rights in this thread) are in the same boat which is a bit of a co-incidence.

I had arranged for my mother to fly out from the UK to stay with us for 2 weeks in late April, and then fly on to NZ for 2 weeks to visit my sister. Early last week we phoned her up and told her this trip is not likely and she should postpone. She was a bit upset at that, we backed off and said let's evaluate in a few days time. The respective government announcements were a relief as otherwise we looked like the bad guys ! It certainly would not be fun holiday, a 2 week lockdown in both of the countries, then who knows if the UK is letting anyone in by then......especially as she is not a citizen. 

I have applied for a few positions in the last week but have doubts whether employers will be considering foreigners at this time.

Couldn't have made this decision to immigrate at the worst time.

I have applied for a few positions in the last week but have doubts whether employers will be considering foreigners at this time.

Couldn't have made this decision to immigrate at the worst time.

I had a company very interesting in making me an offer. Even checked with all my references etc. I got the email this morning that they have decided to put all appointments on hold.

My father phoned me at 2am to tell me they've decided not to come - after I had told him Qantas keep dropping my call to rebook (I'm rebooking off flight credit so can't do it online) after 3hrs.   I don't know why 2am, but it's their new goto time to call.

We'd prefer them here than Grahamstown, but figure that they have less chance of catching it in their complex rather than our house which has a lot of coming and going.  But if they do get it....

Have a company making me an offer today - my current contract has been canned due to current business being airport logistics related and probably going to get punished.  I'm surprised how much hiring is still going on.

Looks like I managed to get in and out just in time - I landed back in SA on Saturday! Wayne and Patches, sorry we didn't get round to that beer/coffee but the few free days I had actually got taken up with unexpected meetings, rather coffees, discovered the Kiwi's love an informal coffee, with some peeps in the banks that the recruiters managed to line up.

Spent my fist week in a very cool loft in Grafton/New Market and really enjoyed the vibe of the city and all those scooters and e-bikes that you can just hop on and get around. That AT App is better than sliced bread too, really enjoyed my stay in that area and had a lekker night out in Ponsonby - draughts are not cheap though!

Then went and stayed with a mate and his family in Murray's Bay and he drove me around the North Shore over the weekend so I got my bearings. I was fortunate to have the use of another mate's car during the week so I then went and checked out all the bays on the North Shore in a little more detail. Really dig how each Bay has it's own little beach an then a few roads in it's own little "village"  - granted Brown's Bay is a tad larger! I liked the feel of Torbay to be honest.

Didn't really dig Long Bay that much, felt like a smaller, ungated version of Waterfall estate!

I really enjoyed the North Shore but if I stayed there then my view is you really need to make an effort to get down to the beach during the week or else what is the point?

One spot that stood out for me was Greenhithe - seemed a bit more insular and that Wainoni Park felt like one of those commons in the UK and the pony club and walks around the neighbourhood are awesome. The Malt could also make for an ideal local and you have access to the water. Getting into CBD you could cycle to Hobsonville and hook the ferry into Britomart - I must say I am really leaning towards Greenhithe. 

Was curious as to your guys views and if you had heard anything about Greenhithe - I heard that they have a good community gees and have quite a few community get together type things.

Other than that, what can I say, the place was clean, people follow the rules, pace seems far less frenetic, obviously safe, you can see where peoples tax money is going and I had a great time - on the other hand, it costs you to breathe and my eyes are still watering at the type of house you get for R15m!

Edited by Wet Ears

Oh, I also hooked it to the West Coast ie Piha and Titirangi - amazing that those places are like an hour from the CBD. Also did a hike in the Waitakere Ranges - beautiful and peaceful.

Corona has obviously cocked a lot of things up but when I was in Piha they were setting up for the Piha surf classic and that whole town relies on that event which is now binned - so sad.

Was curious as to your guys views and if you had heard anything about Greenhithe - I heard that they have a good community gees and have quite a few community get together type things.

Greenhithe / Glenfield / Northcote / Birkenhead all fine.  Property price seems to be inversely related to distance from the beach.

Took my kid to Sanders Reserve cycle park and saw kids on boats in the bay having a hell of a time, so one shouldn't get too hooked up about living on beach side.

We do live near the beach in Murrays Bay - it is really nice to be that close - even if you do a short run, you can run along the beach etc.  I'm unconvinced what we pay in rent is worth it tho.  Dairy Flats / Coatsville may make more sense. Or Greenhithe :)

Other than that, what can I say, the place was clean, people follow the rules, pace seems far less frenetic, obviously safe, you can see where peoples tax money is going and I had a great time.

This is really the whole point. It's also why things are expensive. You could go live in Puntland and be completely free from regulation and taxes with very cheap housing, but it's probably not going to be a lekker lifestyle...