New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I 'Liked this' reluctantly. This is the start of the effects we are all going to see. And our learned friend GrahamS2 puts his finger on it too - NZ is not going to be a Covid19-free destination, because that is incompatible with remaining Covid19-free.

Believe me, we are in deeeeeep poopie and the pain is only starting to become apparent to the complaint masses. I was talking with a neighbour yesterday who was telling me how miserable NZ was after 2008 (because international tourism took a big knock then). Right now, 2008 is looking like a freakin birthday present compared to what's coming. Everything you own (especially property but also cars, bikes and boats, etc) will be worth a lot less and you might find yourself with lower income and far greater debt. If, that is, you're among the fortunate still in work. If you're less fortunate, things are looking bleak.

By the way, who around here reckons 'buy local' is a good idea? Because if you do, I have some more bad news for you...

This is one big reshuffle of the global (and local) deck of cards, and the odds of getting a good hand are pretty slim.

And about buying local in NZ. Not too sure you can make cars or laptops out of milk, cheese, butter and salmon? And Aus is no better really either.

This is one big reshuffle of the global (and local) deck of cards, and the odds of getting a good hand are pretty slim.

And about buying local in NZ. Not too sure you can make cars or laptops out of milk, cheese, butter and salmon? And Aus is no better really either.

This gets to the nub of the buy local fallacy. Great read here for those interested:

https://fee.org/articles/the-buy-local-fallacy/

An excerpt:  The late liberal economist Adam Smith took mercantilism to task in The Wealth of Nations over 200 years ago, explaining that increased productivity through specialization and economies of scale - not money - was the key to prosperity. The exact opposite of what the buy local movement espouses.

The election may be too far away for Labour to win. The warm post coital glow of 'beating' something which may not have needed all that much of a whipping in the first place will likely give way to the cold hard reality of mass unemployment, plummeting house prices and advancing inflation. As you so rightly say, no effect without side effect.

Some are saying 'it's the economy AND health, stupid'. But when it comes down to brass tacks, it's JUST the economy, stupid.

I am literally posting this award winning journalism just to get you riled up on what I think is a Friday (not really sure anymore)

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12328854

I am literally posting this award winning journalism just to get you riled up on what I think is a Friday (not really sure anymore)

Yep, aware of that; a week, as they say, is a long time in politics. The wave of enthusiasm for having 'won the battle on community transmission' and the feelz that destroying our economy was worth it, will hortly give way to the cold harsh reality of a great leap backwards in prosperity for a great number of people. Right now, we're still awash in government cash. But as economists like von Mises, Hazlitt and co. will note, it is the long run effects of any policy which must be weighed. The thing with pollies is they are only concerned with short term effects. After all, the electoral cycle, which doesn't generally provide sufficient time for the long run effects to become clear. In this case, with such drastic action taken, I do believe we shall get a good idea of what those consequences are within a few short months. September may...or may not (predictions are hard, especially about the future) be a bridge too far.

For sure, though, we are in for an exciting election.

Hortly? There's your neologism for today. Meant 'shortly' of course  ^_^

No matter how many times I proof-read my text before hitting post, some gremlin always flies by and inserts a duplicate word word, a speeling error or an incomplete train of .

Every time ! I just accept them nowadays as a fact of life, and mostly everyone seems to get the gist of the message.

We're so screwed. I'm seeing the worm turn as people start feeling the effects personally. A nasty dose of reality. Businesses are closing. People are out of work. The few grand the government dished out is gone. And now it's winter.

We're so screwed. I'm seeing the worm turn as people start feeling the effects personally. A nasty dose of reality. Businesses are closing. People are out of work. The few grand the government dished out is gone. And now it's winter.

Well, some people seem to be surprised that businesses are, well, businesses and not charities. 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/121391205/coronavirus-mackenzie-mayor-attacks-hotel-closures-and-tourism-job-cuts

Wayne - just a question - nothing to do with NZ - how far do I have to be able to ride that damn unicycle of yours you so kindly donated to me before you consider it as being able to be ridden?

It's been my lockdown project for a couple of weeks.... after some time on hold I took it out again.

Not as screwed as we are.Its really bad here and everyone is walking around in a daze

Wayne - just a question - nothing to do with NZ - how far do I have to be able to ride that damn unicycle of yours you so kindly donated to me before you consider it as being able to be ridden?

It's been my lockdown project for a couple of weeks.... after some time on hold I took it out again.

Unless this is your wedding photo, you will NEVER get that thing right.

Its from the DEVIL!!!

post-18409-0-54339500-1588535451.jpg

Unless this is your wedding photo, you will NEVER get that thing right.

Its from the DEVIL!!!

attachicon.gifdownload.jpg

It's more a question of what defines right - pm me your whatsapp number... I will send video - you be the judge...