New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Hi Guys

Well here is an update on what I am seeing in SA.

Just like Intern mentioned, people that need operations are not getting them.

I crashed on my MTB just in time as I managed to get my AC Joint operated on (Crashed Early Feb, before Lockdown). My surgeon, a family friend has not been allowed to operate at all. He has managed to see post op clients for a checkup but that's it. He says unless you have a life threatening issue, you will not be allowed to be operated on.

From a company perspective, I am seeing alot of Tax Payers losing their jobs. Some are getting pay cuts up to 50%. I mentioned Tax Payers as lets be honest, these are the people really keeping the economy alive, and without them where do you think grant money will come from.

Looting is on the increase but as always its being blamed on people are desperate for food. Well no, looting liquor shops is not due to being hungry. Speaking of which, the government is adamant that we still cannot buy booze. SAB contacted them saying they would have to destroy 400 million bottles of beer if they cannot transport it to depo's. NOT SELL, just Transport it. If not they would loose R150 Million and would have to retrench over 2000 staff members. That is 2000 Tax Payers!!!!

Illegal cigarette sales are flying at around R1000 a carton, and supposedly Dlamini Zuma is a benefactor, seems to me she is getting some tax free, untraceable money for her next election campaign.

So you tell me, how is a country meant to keep giving out free money (Grants, some have increased for the next 3 months) if you are not getting money in via taxes? Loans great, how do you pay them off???

Banks are only offering a 3 month payment loan/holiday, if you cannot find a job then what?

Oh and our Lockdown levels are stopping alot of people from actually doing any form of business and get caught traveling without a permit and hello fine or jail time...

I wish we could see the bigger picture here as someone is making alot of money and its not just the people selling PPE....

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys

Well here is an update on what I am seeing in SA.

Just like Intern mentioned, people that need operations are not getting them.

I crashed on my MTB just in time as I managed to get my AC Joint operated on (Crashed Early Feb, before Lockdown). My surgeon, a family friend has not been allowed to operate at all. He has managed to see post op clients for a checkup but that's it. He says unless you have a life threatening issue, you will not be allowed to be operated on.

From a company perspective, I am seeing alot of Tax Payers losing their jobs. Some are getting pay cuts up to 50%. I mentioned Tax Payers as lets be honest, these are the people really keeping the economy alive, and without them where do you think grant money will come from.

Looting is on the increase but as always its being blamed on people are desperate for food. Well no, looting liquor shops is not due to being hungry. Speaking of which, the government is adamant that we still cannot buy booze. SAB contacted them saying they would have to destroy 400 million bottles of beer if they cannot transport it to depo's. NOT SELL, just Transport it. If not they would loose R150 Million and would have to retrench over 2000 staff members. That is 2000 Tax Payers!!!!

Illegal cigarette sales are flying at around R1000 a carton, and supposedly Dlamini Zuma is a benefactor, seems to me she is getting some tax free, untraceable money for her next election campaign.

So you tell me, how is a country meant to keep giving out free money (Grants, some have increased for the next 3 months) if you are not getting money in via taxes? Loans great, how do you pay them off???

Banks are only offering a 3 month payment loan/holiday, if you cannot find a job then what?

Oh and our Lockdown levels are stopping alot of people from actually doing any form of business and get caught traveling without a permit and hello fine or jail time...

I wish we could see the bigger picture here as someone is making alot of money and its not just the people selling PPE....

SAB did end up dumping the alchohol by the way. Iiterally money down the drain. All because of the prevention of transportation to storage which means the production facilities would exceed their legal holding capacity. Crazy!!!

I see similar problems in the USA though, to a degree, where milk, eggs and honey is being dumped due to disruptions in the supply chain.

SAB did end up dumping the alchohol by the way. Iiterally money down the drain. All because of the prevention of transportation to storage which means the production facilities would exceed their legal holding capacity. Crazy!!!

I see similar problems in the USA though, to a degree, where milk, eggs and honey is being dumped due to disruptions in the supply chain.

Just an update on the beer, apparently they have only dumped 25000 Litres at this point in time and have been granted permission. Lets see if this happens and how many trucks get looted...

Having said all that, I think it unfair to characterise my comments as being 'on everything as if I know everything'; I am knowledgeable and I make no apology for that. I also have an inquiring mind and don't often go with the flow. This too is something I pride myself on, though it continually gets me into trouble and quite often serves me pretty well. But, you know, no skin off my nose.

A good day to you, you famous person ;-)

Never really heard that someone calls themselves to be knowledgeable... That's usually something someone says of someone else as a good characteristics. Generally people with pure knowledge are quite humble too.

Opinionated vs knowledgeable.

So what does everyone have planned for the first weekend of Level 2?

On my end it's tradie time again. Dropping out ceilings. Installing new lighting and insulation.

Then I'm looking forward to an actual visit to Bunnings. None of this click n' collect nonsense! How am I supposed to make impulse purchases when I cant aimlessly wander the aisles. I'm a simple man.

Some small social events on the cards. Probably a braai with some friends that live in Long Bay (aka Whangarei South).

But yeah, not rushing to go out to restaurants, cafes, bars or malls.

How about you good folk?

On my end it's tradie time again. Dropping out ceilings. Installing new lighting and insulation.

Are you allowed to touch 240 V in NZ without a sparky license? Here in Aus they don't even allow the masses to change a plug.

I remember the old days in Africa, when appliances were sold without plugs and you had to fit your own. The days before HSE.

Then I'm looking forward to an actual visit to Bunnings. None of this click n' collect nonsense! How am I supposed to make impulse purchases when I cant aimlessly wander the aisles. I'm a simple man.

Some small social events on the cards. Probably a braai with some friends that live in Long Bay (aka Whangarei South).

But yeah, not rushing to go out to restaurants, cafes, bars or malls.

How about you good folk?

I have university exams around the corner.

A little different this time around in that they are "Online Time Constrained Assesments" Same thing as an exam, but I can use my textbook.

So will probably be focussing on that.

Maybe a cheeky restaurant meal and a nice long run (by my standards)

Thats about it.

Busy booking some domestic travel for the break between semsters.

Are you allowed to touch 240 V in NZ without a sparky license? Here in Aus they don't even allow the masses to change a plug.

I remember the old days in Africa, when appliances were sold without plugs and you had to fit your own. The days before HSE.

Yeah, NZ (and Aus) are pretty limiting on DIY, especially with electrical and plumbing.

But the Worksafe regulations do allow replacement of existing fixtures. It's when one starts adding or modifying circuits that they get twitchy.

So fortunately this particular ceiling currently has 2 fixtures (a pendant and a spot), and there's enough slack in the cable for me to replace them with 2 downlights.

I have university exams around the corner.

A little different this time around in that they are "Online Time Constrained Assesments" Same thing as an exam, but I can use my textbook.

So will probably be focussing on that.

Maybe a cheeky restaurant meal and a nice long run (by my standards)

Thats about it.

Busy booking some domestic travel for the break between semsters.

At uni I found the open book tests were some of the hardest. The examiners went overboard with the questions. Hopefully yours are kinder!

Never really heard that someone calls themselves to be knowledgeable... That's usually something someone says of someone else as a good characteristics. Generally people with pure knowledge are quite humble too.

Opinionated vs knowledgeable.

That's really unnecessary Hayley. And there you are, generalising again. OK fvor you, not OK for me, even when you're having a very pounted personal dig at me. But ja, all power to you.

Fvor pounted is the new covfefe. More neologisms.

Anyway, with level 2 probably gonna get the boat out and go for a fish or a dive, maybe one last sneaky lake trip before it gets too cold...

Astute observation; someone else sent this to me: When ministers make statements about coronavirus policy they invariably say that they are “following the science". But cutting-edge science is messy and unclear, a contest of ideas arbitrated by facts, a process of conjecture and refutation. This is not new. Almost two centuries ago Thomas Huxley described “The great tragedy of science – the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact.”

The science is based on  a painstaking century long analysis of another great pandemic. Also epidemiology is literally the study of the spread of disease. Everything they're saying and suggesting has been tried and tested before. Scientists have been saying we're going to have a pandemic for decades. Come ON. You can do better. Apply some critical thinking.

The science is based on  a painstaking century long analysis of another great pandemic. Also epidemiology is literally the study of the spread of disease. Everything they're saying and suggesting has been tried and tested before. Scientists have been saying we're going to have a pandemic for decades. Come ON. You can do better. Apply some critical thinking.

The trouble, Arabsandals, is that critical thinking is frowned upon when it goes against the mainstream. And then there's the resort to personal attacks on anyone not following the script.

The evidence for COVID19 mortality is not cut and dried. It can't be. Nor is the evidence for lockdowns. It can't be. Because these are developing issues.

Be that as it may. My major concern is that we are entering a period of serious suffering from economic consequences which inevitably will have serious impacts on wellbeing. Our personal freedoms are being eroded or erased, and we are not vigilant but cheering on the dictators.

For sharing my views on these issues, Hayley and to a lesser extent you, have had a few cracks at me, because apparently on a thread 'Good bad and ugly', negative comments on our situation in NZ are unwelcome. Well, OK, then.

And any time I have put up evidence or views which are contrary to the received and heavily promoted mainstream views, I have been belittled, mocked and/or ignored. 

Anyway, the last flu pandemic wasn't a century ago. It was in 2009.

Some facts and figures from that 'killemall' event are below.

Some studies estimated that the actual number of cases including asymptomatic and mild cases could be 700 million to 1.4 billion people—or 11 to 21 percent of the global population of 6.8 billion at the time.[12] The lower value of 700 million is more than the 500 million people estimated to have been infected by the Spanish flu pandemic.[13]

The number of lab-confirmed deaths reported to the WHO is 18,449,[7] though this 2009 H1N1 flu pandemic is estimated to have actually caused about 284,000 (range from 150,000 to 575,000) deaths.[14] A follow-up study done in September 2010 showed that the risk of serious illness resulting from the 2009 H1N1 flu was no higher than that of the yearly seasonal flu.[15] For comparison, the WHO estimates that 250,000 to 500,000 people die of seasonal flu annually.[9]

Also, you forgot to 'like' the cartoon I shared, I thought we could at least maybe have a laugh about that one!