New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

..............mostly also come from the same rest home!

.......................our 20 or so casualties in NZ have .................

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The goss amongst some financial advisors I come into contact with is that they have never been so busy in terms of mortage applications - they say that there is is huge interest from first time buyers and property investors.

Their view is that part of the market is going to remain a sellers market.  Suppose it depends on whether supply will ever outstrip demand.

Does anyone here have/know someone who has a large-ish CNC mill for wood. 3-axis is fine, like one of those big flat bed mills.

The other day I had an idea. Whether it's a good idea or not, I don't know.

The idea is to take topography from selected regions of NZ and translate those into 3D contours to be milled into the front of cabinet doors creating a cool pattern that has meaning behind it. The doors would be made to the dimensions of a standard Ikea Besta cabinet. I chose the Ikea Besta because it's somewhat universal, it's pretty cheap, but not terribly made, and with Ikea coming to NZ in the future, it may be cool to have a "Pimp my Ikea" option.

Here's a rough idea of what it would look like:

post-10758-0-14058500-1590010516_thumb.png

post-10758-0-88040400-1590010970_thumb.png

Contours of the Southern Alps (Wanaka to Franz Joseph) sliced into 16 layers and modelled in AutoCAD.

And for material, I would use plywood, so that the dark layers would add a nice grain to the contours. Something like this:

1c1207657f8f4d611dc413d4e3751ea6.jpg

I have had a quote from a local CNC workshop, and it came out way more than I expected (around $1200). So yeah, if anyone knows of someone who may be keen to give this a shot, let me know!

Edited by patches

Does anyone here have/know someone who has a large-ish CNC mill for wood. 3-axis is fine, like one of those big flat bed mills.

The idea is to take topography from selected regions of NZ and translate those into 3D contours to be milled into the front of cabinet doors creating a cool pattern that has meaning behind it. The doors would be made to the dimensions of a standard Ikea Besta cabinet. I chose the Ikea Besta because it's somewhat universal, it's pretty cheap, but not terribly made, and with Ikea coming to NZ in the future, it may be cool to have a "Pimp my Ikea" option.

attachicon.gifCNC cabinet doors.PNG

attachicon.gifContours in CAD.PNG

Contours of the Southern Alps (Wanaka to Franz Joseph) sliced into 16 layers and modelled in AutoCAD.

And for material, I would use plywood, so that the dark layers would add a nice grain to the contours. Something like this:

I have had a quote from a local CNC workshop, and it came out way more than I expected (around $1200). So yeah, if anyone knows of someone who may be keen to give this a shot, let me know!

I think I have lived here for too long.

I look at that and think " Man, that's awesome. But I don't want to have to clean it every week"

HA HA HA

I think I have lived here for too long.

I look at that and think " Man, that's awesome. But I don't want to have to clean it every week"

HA HA HA

hahaha! So you're saying that if I turn this into a business, my target market should be Parnel and St Mary's Bay residents who have domestic help, hahahaha

That looks cool.

I think it would be quite expensive, program needs to be written and it would take a long time too so probably billed for time.

It would be very niche, so you might want normal doors to hang if you decided to move......

The first pic would benefit from having a dark resin poured into the grooves and then sanded back, it creates a really nice effect.

Frank Howarth has a great video on doing pretty much the same as your second pic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0A03jskWVg

You could probably do what you are looking at quite easily with something like a x-carve which isnt overly expensive.

That looks cool.

I think it would be quite expensive, program needs to be written and it would take a long time too so probably billed for time.

It would be very niche, so you might want normal doors to hang if you decided to move......

Yeah the quote I got was 3hrs programming (@ $120/hr) and 2hrs machining (@ $350/hr), excluding GST.

As for keeping the doors, yup! The Ikea standard doors start from about $20ea and come in dozens of coluors and designs. So I would definitely replace custom with stock when moving... Unless of course I include the cabinet as one of the chattels when selling the house and hike the price up, hahaha!

The first pic would benefit from having a dark resin poured into the grooves and then sanded back, it creates a really nice effect.

Frank Howarth has a great video on doing pretty much the same as your second pic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0A03jskWVg

You could probably do what you are looking at quite easily with something like a x-carve which isnt overly expensive.

The first pic is just a basic screenshot of my model, taken in Navisworks. Unfortunately Navis didn't have a decent plywood texture/materia, and I was too lazy to play with lighting for a good render. But yeah, the plan would be to get the dark and light contrast from a good quality ply.

Speaking of resin though, you just gave me another idea. Similar to those resin/wood table-tops that some carpenters make. ie.

wood-and-epoxy-resin-river-table-top-500

The "next level" of these very expensive cabinet doors could be to CNC the alpine contours, then pour a transparent resin over to give a glossy flat finish (for easy cleaning as Wayne suggested).

hmmm.... if only I had a CNC machine :lol:

ps. that Mt St Helens work is amazing! WAY beyond my skill level, haha

Edited by patches

The first pic is just a basic screenshot of my model, taken in Navisworks. Unfortunately Navis didn't have a decent plywood texture/materia, and I was too lazy to play with lighting for a good render. But yeah, the plan would be to get the dark and light contrast from a good quality ply.

Speaking of resin though, you just gave me another idea. Similar to those resin/wood table-tops that some carpenters make. ie.

wood-and-epoxy-resin-river-table-top-500

The "next level" of these very expensive cabinet doors could be to CNC the alpine contours, then pour a transparent resin over to give a glossy flat finish (for easy cleaning as Wayne suggested).

hmmm.... if only I had a CNC machine :lol:

ps. that Mt St Helens work is amazing! WAY beyond my skill level, haha

Resin pouring is something I am desperate to play with.

Looks like fun.

Looks like fun.

Not as easy as they make it look, temperature is key and bubbles are from the devil!!!!

The materials are also quite expensive just to play around with......

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Not as easy as they make it look, temperature is key and bubbles are from the devil!!!!

The materials are also quite expensive just to play around with......

sounds like all my other hobbies.

1. Looks really easy

2. Is actually really difficult

3. A black hole for money

[emoji23]

Looks like fun.

Greetings from my Karoo friend who lives on my desk.

post-17716-0-88483300-1590135451_thumb.jpg