New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

It is a big decision, and as Wayne has said, with many compromises and tough decisions.

I have a friend and his girlfriend in Tauranga, October will be a year in NZ for them.

Her mom passed away last week, Covid related after stupid siblings willfully visited her while knowing they tested positive and she had comorbidity.

Long story short, she is unable to travel to attend a funeral.

These are the scenario's you HAVE to discuss before a decision is made.

Many people are trapped off shore as they left for a vacation and got trapped in SA/India/UK, etc with the border closure. Many have been made redundant and now have to start from square one.

Our decision is to not leave NZ until we acquire residency, and we have not even been able to start the journey due to the closures........

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing fancy, but just for roped in to join a team for this https://www.bluedogevents.nz/events/10-hour-daynighter-and-6-hour-blast

If anyone will be down there then, come see me suffer after my 1st mtb race after becoming a mommy :)

Aah I see it's in McLean's forest. I rode there a couple of times (on the push-bike).

It's also right near the Waimakariri dirt-bike trails (so rode there loads) on the lazy-bike  :ph34r:  :lol:

Damn I miss the CHC!

EDIT: I just checked my AirNZ app and I forgot that I'll be flying down to CHC the day before :lol:

We booked a camper-van (during the lockdown, when prices were dirt cheap) so will be doing a South Island road-trip for 10days.

Edited by patches

Some harsh realities being shared here. All the best guys, sometimes life comes at you hard. WP made a telling comment though, you have to act for the next generation.

Also, a word on frogs in pots. I looked this up. Turns out, someone (probably a Frenchman  :lol:) tested the theory. Turns out frogs are pretty good thermometers and will get out of the pot if the temp exceeds something like 25C. Thermoregulation is necessary for survival, apparently.

Some harsh realities being shared here. All the best guys, sometimes life comes at you hard. WP made a telling comment though, you have to act for the next generation.

Also, a word on frogs in pots. I looked this up. Turns out, someone (probably a Frenchman  :lol:) tested the theory. Turns out frogs are pretty good thermometers and will get out of the pot if the temp exceeds something like 25C. Thermoregulation is necessary for survival, apparently.

Your knowledge base is expanding exponentially! First squeakers and now frogs :P

Your knowledge base is expanding exponentially! First squeakers and now frogs :P

There is nothing trivial in which I do not have an interest (signed, not knowledgeable, but opinionated A-hole...yes I know nobody likes a smartass, doesn't stop me though :w00t: ).

Turns out frogs are pretty good thermometers and will get out of the pot if the temp exceeds something like 25C. 

This is, like, the best comment I've seen in, like, whoa, the whole day, man.

All those dumbasses who said/say/will say "it's just like frogs..." - no dumbass, frogs are cleverer than YOU... even a cold blooded reptile knows when things are too uncomfortable not to move... and it doesn't wait long either.

Edit: they also make damn fine bait as far I can remember...  :huh:

Edited by davetapson

There is nothing trivial in which I do not have an interest (signed, not knowledgeable, but opinionated A-hole...yes I know nobody likes a smartass, doesn't stop me though :w00t: ).

ENTP perhaps?

Very true, and very much appreciated. I would certainly rather hear them here and have a chance to consider them fully rather than stumbling into them on the other side once its too late.

In terms of other realities, do you guys ever feel like the NZ economy suffers from being a bit small and far away from everything? 

Very true, and very much appreciated. I would certainly rather hear them here and have a chance to consider them fully rather than stumbling into them on the other side once its too late.

In terms of other realities, do you guys ever feel like the NZ economy suffers from being a bit small and far away from everything? 

Seems like you already know the answers to your questions. If you didn't have your dogs would you have jumped ship? Separate the emotions from the facts. Emotions can be dealt with and are subjective, but facts don't change no matter how you feel about them.

I've been supporting a charity that takes boxes of food up to destitute pensioners in Zim. They probably were like you or me in terms of making a plan for old age but the multiple economic crashes in Zim have wiped them out - several times.

I can't see any of them saying 'Yep, I'm glad I didn't get out when I could have because it would have meant leaving my (now 20 year dead) dogs behind...

Edited by davetapson

I've been supporting a charity that takes boxes of food up to destitute pensioners in Zim. They probably were like you or me in terms of making a plan for old age but the multiple economic crashes in Zim have wiped them out - several times.

I can't see any of them saying 'Yep, I'm glad I didn't get out when I could have because it would have meant leaving my (now 20 year dead) dogs behind...

Brutal assessment but so true........

Following on from which, I couldn't see who would be sending me food boxes when I'm 90 and SA is properly farked - hence emigration.

Dogs come real low on the list.

On the latter part, yes most certainly. Scale is an issue as is distance. These factors are a part of why the cost of living here is astronomical.

But on the up side, everyone knows one another. It's like Brakpan on a slightly larger scale.

BTW Travis, don't know if you've seen Flight of the Conchords. In one scene Murray has a poster promoting NZ...says 'It's like Scotland, but further away'  :lol: