New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the bundu bashers - have a look at NZTopo50 app - there are two, one for N Island, one for S Island.  I have Android, dunno if there is one for sheeple.

The benefit is that the entire 1:50000 map data is downloaded to your phone (just less than 2gig for both) so you don't need reception to use it. 

In my experience, where you'll need it, there is no reception and there is nothing more frustrating than standing in the bush looking at a blank map with a whirly thing spinning and no data reception...

Also, PLB's are a good thing.  And if you have one, and are in a situation where you think you should probably use it but are too skaam, press the button.  The responders say that the main problem with PLB's are that folks wait too long to press the button.

As you were.

Edited by davetapson

Which probably leads to a Good/Bad/Ugly all in one... NZ bush is something else.  You may think you have mamba navigation skills and could walk across the Kalahari with a pair of shorts and two hansas, but in NZ bush... ai yi yi.

Dense, can't choose where to navigate due to terrain (gullies, but 20m or whatever deep) and matted vegetation, can't see out of it to keep land marks / navigation points.  Once you've taken 13 detours to get to the place 50m across the gully, you've walked 800m, don't know where you are, let alone the original spot you were trying to get to. 

And every move from there on consists of repeats.

For the bundu bashers - have a look at NZTopo50 app - there are two, one for N Island, one for S Island.  I have Android, dunno if there is one for sheeple.

The benefit is that the entire 1:50000 map data is downloaded to your phone (just less than 2gig for both) so you don't need reception to use it. 

In my experience, where you'll need it, there is no reception and there is nothing more frustrating than standing in the bush looking at a blank map with a whirly thing spinning and no data reception...

Also, PLB's are a good thing.  And if you have one, and are in a situation where you think you should probably use it but are too skaam, press the button.  The responders say that the main problem with PLB's are that folks wait too long to press the button.

As you were.

Yeah, I use New Zealand Topo Maps and ViewRanger, when I adventure off the beaten path.

ViewRanger is a good app for the prep work. Can convert a Track into a Route. Can reverse a Route, etc.

NZ Topo Maps is slightly easier to use when following a Route. Especially when one is standing up on the pegs, tacking terrain at speed, and trying to hunt down way-points, all at once.

That said, I purposely don't download the Topo50 base map for offline use. Reason being is that it's harder to see the Route and way-points when one is glancing down briefly while riding. I try keep it as clean as possible. Kinda like my noob/cheat version of a rally roadbook (I'm not skilled enough for one of those yet).The base map background makes it a little too busy.

But as you say, when one is lost or needs some proper navigation, having those Topo Maps offline can be a lifesaver.

When it comes to offroad adventures, I like to have all my GPX files prepped and numbered in order of use. I prep them by either mapping them myself on Google MyMaps or downloading them from various sources (RemoteMoto being one of the best). I then create a "playlist" of which routes I do and in what order (hence the numbering).

The day I was led astray in the Wilberforce Valley was because I had failed to prefix the file names with the order number, and I had 2 files with very similar names. In fact names that look identical when the limitations of a mobile screen crop them off. Instead of loading a 20km loop through the valley, I loaded a 1way trek straight into the Southern Alps  :ph34r:

As for the PLB or EPIRB... I need to get me one of those!

Instead of loading a 20km loop through the valley, I loaded a 1way trek straight into the Southern Alps  :ph34r:

Hehe... the mindfk in working that one out must have been interesting... 

A plb is essential.

Not too badly priced and literally a lifesaver.

Can even rent them if need be.

As everyone who has pressed the button would say, the price is nothing after the fact.

Not that I've stumped up for one yet - but as soon as the boat is done, it's going to become compulsory in my eyes.  I've seen them in the $300's - $370 odd if I remember right.

Hehe... the mindfk in working that one out must have been interesting... 

Totally!

I was lucky that I stopped to zoom out on the Route and then noticed it headed straight into the mountains. It was at that moment I knew I'd f'd up  :ph34r: :lol:

I then took my helmet off, sat next to my bike. Checked my fuel, and had a minor panic attack :lol:

I was low on fuel, food, and empty on cell signal. I was tired, and getting cold. I also knew that I had crossed part of the river that was so deep and fast flowing that I knyped harder than a duck on a bidet. I did NOT want to have to cross that again. But i had no choice.

As a boatie you may enjoy this:

Here's a water-side view of the river and valley in question

Which probably leads to a Good/Bad/Ugly all in one... NZ bush is something else.  You may think you have mamba navigation skills and could walk across the Kalahari with a pair of shorts and two hansas, but in NZ bush... ai yi yi.

Dense, can't choose where to navigate due to terrain (gullies, but 20m or whatever deep) and matted vegetation, can't see out of it to keep land marks / navigation points.  Once you've taken 13 detours to get to the place 50m across the gully, you've walked 800m, don't know where you are, let alone the original spot you were trying to get to. 

And every move from there on consists of repeats.

Heh, one of my Safa mates was gobsmacked with how hard hunting is over here. Back in Africa, you drive up in the Hilux, open fire randomly in the bush and head home with 7 different species of biltong. Over here...well, let's just say, you gotta put in a bit more effort than that!

No one could accuse the Kiwis of not finding ways to have fun with what they have...

Back in Africa, you drive up in the Hilux, open fire randomly in the bush and head home with 7 different species of biltong. 

And you get to gut and carry it yourself too...

The one thing that always gets me is just how empty all the ecological niches are here.  In Africa you drop a crumb, there is a fight between the flies, ants, geckos, birds to get it, and one or two of each gets eaten by the others in the process.  Here, nada.  Crumb is still on the ground three days later.

Something dies in the bush in Africa - there's an entire ecosystem involved in breaking it down from beginning to end.  Here, well, the pigs will probably get it, and after that, there isn't a whole lot.

Edited by davetapson

Totally!

I was lucky that I stopped to zoom out on the Route and then noticed it headed straight into the mountains. It was at that moment I knew I'd f'd up  :ph34r: :lol:

I then took my helmet off, sat next to my bike. Checked my fuel, and had a minor panic attack :lol:

I was low on fuel, food, and empty on cell signal. I was tired, and getting cold. I also knew that I had crossed part of the river that was so deep and fast flowing that I knyped harder than a duck on a bidet. I did NOT want to have to cross that again. But i had no choice.

As a boatie you may enjoy this:

Here's a water-side view of the river and valley in question

Ever since I went on 2 Jet Boats in NZ, its all I want back in SA....

Have a look at the boat shop this guy recommends.  Dang...

http://www.outbackboats.nz/category/Solar-Inflatable-Jet-Hulls

Interesting!

I've never seen outboard jet motors like that before. Not the inflatable type

All the jet boats I'd seen (bar the commercial ones like Shotover) were small little alu hulls with inboards.

The inflatable with outboard seems a little more versatile. Probably more affordable too!

Interesting!

All the jet boats I'd seen (bar the commercial ones like Shotover) were small little alu hulls with inboards.

The inflatable with outboard seems a little more versatile. Probably more affordable too!

Very interesting, I wonder how far under the hull it sticks out?

Interesting!

Yeah, it's a great idea. I wonder if it's Kiwi or Russian?

So 'Rona, she's back. But 4 cases does not an epidemic make. Who those cases have touched might be another story.

I see men's shed has closed. I've been there twice with timber (I was going to say wood [emoji848]) in hand, to find out closed. This working gets in the way of real life.