New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be keen to shoot through for a day trip. Need to dust off the machine...

Actually that sounds like a blast. I may just do the same.

YES MAN!!!

For those of you who can work with their hands and would like a boat. I am all thumbs but seriously considering signing up at the local mens shed.

http://www.dhylanboats.com/design/plans/oonagh_plans/

Do it.  You'll learn on the way. 

Building boats is one of the best things you can do.  I may be biased of course.

Edit:

My only observation is where are you going to sail - it doesn't have high sides and the plan says 'SUITABLE FOR — Somewhat protected waters'.  Sydney harbour?  Probably perfect.

But this is akin to saying 'don't marry that one, marry this one' so treat comment appropriately.

It does move nicely... and balanced lug rigs are where it's at.

Edited by davetapson

We are driving back from Taupo, rode part of the "Great lake trail"... Wow!!

We will go back to do all parts in the near future.

We went unsupported (so no car or boat shuttles) and rode with Layla either on the

front of the MTB or at the back of the gravel bike (during nap time).

It was really nice trails!

Do it.  You'll learn on the way. 

Building boats is one of the best things you can do.  I may be biased of course.

Edit:

My only observation is where are you going to sail - it doesn't have high sides and the plan says 'SUITABLE FOR — Somewhat protected waters'.  Sydney harbour?  Probably perfect.

But this is akin to saying 'don't marry that one, marry this one' so treat comment appropriately.

It does move nicely... and balanced lug rigs are where it's at.

Most likely Hawkesbury River, although the harbour would be nice. 

Most likely Hawkesbury River, although the harbour would be nice. 

Seem to remember my brother rigged up a solar powered skiff to cruise around there.

Whew! Just got back from 12 days of camper-vanning around the South Island.

Can HIGHLY recommend!

Here's the rough route we took. 

post-10758-0-69800300-1603832085_thumb.png

(a few detours and repeats and day trips not shown, but we totalled about 2350km)

Pics from trip to follow. Still trying to wake up after getting home around 11pm last night.

Here are some pics from the recent adventures...

post-10758-0-27860800-1603843077_thumb.jpg

"home" for the next few days.

post-10758-0-34635000-1603843493_thumb.jpg

Last bit of the Paparoa Great Walk. It ends across the road from the campsite. Paparoa is the latest addition to the great walks, and as a bonus, this one can be mountain biked. 3 days to walk. 2 days to ride. The campsite had numerous muddy trial bikes, belonging to riders who had just completed the journey. And based on their feedback, it was well worth it. I've already added MTB Paparoa to my bucket list.

post-10758-0-26226200-1603843927_thumb.jpg

Hokitika Gorge. I've done this short walk a number of times before, but the water colour gets me each time.

post-10758-0-91793700-1603844419_thumb.jpg

Blue Pools, Mt Aspiring National Park.

post-10758-0-62412300-1603844462_thumb.jpg

Obligatory pic of that Wanaka tree (even though I have a dozen previous ones)

post-10758-0-47541500-1603844583_thumb.jpg

A waterfall from a walk. just next to the road on the way to Milford Sound.

post-10758-0-45919700-1603844714_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-03355400-1603844743_thumb.jpg

Le Milford Sound (not the best weather, but could be worse).

post-10758-0-60913600-1603844774_thumb.jpg

Part of the Kepler Track (another one of the Great Walks) just outside Te Anau

post-10758-0-80161600-1603844858_thumb.jpg

Luging in Queenstown

All in all, it was a whirlwind of a trip with too many scenic vistas, clear streams, green forests or majestic mountains to mention. Despite being in a campervan we made sure to get out and enjoy nature (averaging over 18,000 steps a day).

If anyone ever sees a sweet deal on camper rental (I think we got ours for $75/day excl RUC and insurace)... DO IT!

It's an awesome and convenient way to see large portions of this beautiful country (despite my love for tented camping, I think the van has ruined me :lol:)

Edited by patches

Can't go wrong.  Prices in the bays are pushing demand for those properties up.

Those areas are commuter belt for city so will always have demand.

Orewa beach good in that a. it's nice, b. it gets waves because Rangitoto etc aren't in the way.

Worked with a guy who went to Orewa College - said it was a great school and he was an engineer, so couldn't be all bad.

We've considered it, but with my predilection for building boats new builds are a problem in terms of boat building space / boat storage space.  Maybe I'm the problem. 

Definitely a nice place to live. We have been living in Army Bay for 3.5 years now. Moving into our new build in 20 days in Red Beach (where the old golf course was).

Awesome location (Red Beach, Silvrerdale, Milldale and Millwater).

We were in Red Beach/Silverdale for a couple years. Very good road biking out that way, you are utterly spoiled for choice. Also, great neighbourhoods, everything you need is close by (countdown, pak n save, etc).