New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

If you have a better suggestion for venue...?

Where the beer is cheap ;)

Look at the specials for the joylab places (I think there is one or 2 places under them there), they typically have nice specials on week day evenings ...

[i'm currently all about saving of course :D]

I don't know if they still do it (or if they're still open), but on Wednesdays Lenin's (viaduct) did $5 beers with a free burger (home made, supermarket patties, but free). :lol:

EDIT: I think Lenin's has closed down, but...

• 16 Tun is pretty cool.
  • The Conservatory has big tasty pizzas,
  • Sardines has a nice waterside vibe, and one can order certain menu items from both the neighbouring restaurants (White & Wongs and Burger Boy) and
  • Lula Inn is always pretty cool.
  • Dr Rudi's is also nearby.

No shortage of gathering spots around the Viaduct/Wynyard Quarter

Edited by patches

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marmite (NZ version), Vegemite, or Our Mate (Saffer Marmite)?

For those pf you who are partial to the salty axle grease, whats' your go-to?

EDIT: this random thought comes whilst I am eating corn thins with flora and Australian axle grease, in an attempt to curb my appetite and shed some kilos  :ph34r:  :lol:

Edited by patches

EDIT: this random thought comes whilst I am eating corn thins with flora and Australian axle grease, in an attempt to curb my appetite and shed some kilos :ph34r: :lol:

My wife when we were in NZ took to promite. We now buy it here at 8 quid a bottle via Amazon. Edited by IceCreamMan

My wife when we were in NZ took to promite. We now buy it here at 8 quid a bottle via Amazon.

Aah, I haven't tried that one! Will keep an eye out.

A Bad: Where are the flying ostriches?  Damn, bird poo on cars on NZ...

Absolutely HATE this 'effect'! Damned seabirds are the WORST.

Only had it for a couple months but my WR450F is for sale if anyone is interested, it's listed on TradeMe or you can get in touch directly.

The YZ250X won the day and I can only ride one at a time!

Only had it for a couple months but my WR450F is for sale if anyone is interested, it's listed on TradeMe or you can get in touch directly.

The YZ250X won the day and I can only ride one at a time!

What do you like about the 250 over the 450?

I've always suspected 'light and manouverable, with enough poke' would beat 'not so light and manouverable, with more than enough poke', but never had the wherewithall to test...

What do you like about the 250 over the 450?

I've always suspected 'light and manouverable, with enough poke' would beat 'not so light and manouverable, with more than enough poke', but never had the wherewithall to test...

The light weight of the 250 makes things like fast turns/berms, flat track turns, wheelies, thick sand, etc so much easier; I feel like a machine on the 250 (initially I missed the heft of the 450...and the torque/highly predictable power delivery).

But after 4 rides on the 2 banger, I did a ride on my 450. It was like a completely different sport, so much more physical on the 450 and it suddenly felt slow.

It's sandy where I ride and doing stuff like hard fast turns, powerslides, donuts etc is just way easier.

This applies even though the 250 needs tuning, it has a rich  bog off quarter throttle so I think there's something up with the pilot jet; I watched every YouTube vid I could on carburetion, but carbs remain mysterious creatures to me (sort of like Your Octopus Teacher, but Your Carb Teacher...or Kreepy Krauly, I dunno) so I have sent it in.

What I do know is what when a 2 banger is screaming on the main jet, the power is just A+ exciting. Can't wait to have the jetting sorted because that's going to make dropoffs and jumps far more fun...

After that ringing endorsement, who's gonna buy the bushpig 450 hahaha

EDIT: this random thought comes whilst I am eating corn thins with flora and Australian axle grease, in an attempt to curb my appetite and shed some kilos  :ph34r:  :lol:

Weirdo!

The light weight of the 250 makes things like fast turns/berms, flat track turns, wheelies, thick sand, etc so much easier; I feel like a machine on the 250 (initially I missed the heft of the 450...and the torque/highly predictable power delivery).

But after 4 rides on the 2 banger, I did a ride on my 450. It was like a completely different sport, so much more physical on the 450 and it suddenly felt slow.

It's sandy where I ride and doing stuff like hard fast turns, powerslides, donuts etc is just way easier.

This applies even though the 250 needs tuning, it has a rich  bog off quarter throttle so I think there's something up with the pilot jet; I watched every YouTube vid I could on carburetion, but carbs remain mysterious creatures to me (sort of like Your Octopus Teacher, but Your Carb Teacher...or Kreepy Krauly, I dunno) so I have sent it in.

What I do know is what when a 2 banger is screaming on the main jet, the power is just A+ exciting. Can't wait to have the jetting sorted because that's going to make dropoffs and jumps far more fun...

After that ringing endorsement, who's gonna buy the bushpig 450 hahaha

You're heading down a slippery slope towards motocross!

Next thing you'll be wearing a Monster Energy cap, change your name to Kyle, and try to fight your step-dad!

Just kidding! But yeah, I as nice as multiple bikes are, sometimes choices have to be made, and the one that you have the most fun on, should prevail (unless the other one is a 2020 Husky 450 Rally Replica).

Will you be road registering the smoker or keeping it for off-road use only?

Weirdo!

hahaha, I'd totally rather have Nutella over Vegemite, but miraculously I've managed to lose 8kg since "the challenge" began (7 weeks ago, around the time we met in Rotorua).

The challenge being that if I don't reach my target weight by early Jan, my forfeit is to donate $200 to a controversial cause (like Antivaxx, Flat earth, or Trump's legal fees), AND have to post about my support of said cause on Facebook. :lol:

You're heading down a slippery slope towards motocross!

Next thing you'll be wearing a Monster Energy cap, change your name to Kyle, and try to fight your step-dad!

Just kidding! But yeah, I as nice as multiple bikes are, sometimes choices have to be made, and the one that you have the most fun on, should prevail (unless the other one is a 2020 Husky 450 Rally Replica).

Will you be road registering the smoker or keeping it for off-road use only?

I'm growing a mullet, too.

As it happens I went to a moto track for the first time Sunday past...and loved it. Was always super apprehensive about a moto track, to the extent when I rode past the Awakaponga local one some time back, I actually felt intimidated.

Well as it happens, wasn't hectic at all. Jumps were easier than rando jumps on a trail, berms are real rather than something that's been carved into the trail by a succession of loons on motos..yeah man I want some more!

The smoker isn't road registerable so I might get a superbike or a dedicated adventure bike. We'll see. But it's worth loading the 250 on a trailer and driving 15 minutes to rip it...

hahaha, I'd totally rather have Nutella over Vegemite, but miraculously I've managed to lose 8kg since "the challenge" began (7 weeks ago, around the time we met in Rotorua).

The challenge being that if I don't reach my target weight by early Jan, my forfeit is to donate $200 to a controversial cause (like Antivaxx, Flat earth, or Trump's legal fees), AND have to post about my support of said cause on Facebook. :lol:

The dangers of social media, writ large!