New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Vasbyt Hayley

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your husband and the whole family. I know the hospital situation is very stressful at the moment, but it truly is the only way hospitals can still function more or less normally. Without those precautions, the hospital staff are the first to contract Covid and then the service collapses. I know it doesn't make it any easier for you, but use technology to the maximum to keep contact.  

Edit: Somewhere in the back of my head I seem to recall that you are in the medical field. If that's the case, sorry, you know all this already.

Edited by DJR

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are testing out the medical service in NZ again. :(

We went riding at Totara park again yesterday, a relaxing family cycle. Layla was with me on the MTB, her dad riding in front of us. We were going slow and still on the very gentle trails at the start. I came around the bend and there Thomas was lying on the ground, helmet off his head back to us. I put Layla down at my bike and went to look at what happend. He was lying unconscious. Blood everywhere. I started yelling for help, I didn't have my phone and at least the park was very busy. People came to help quickly, felt like the ambulance took for ever. He had to be carried quite far. Currently in hospital, a few broken vertebrae, very very bad deep cuts to his face, nose halfway teared off. Crazy! Crazy! That all this damage could happen on a normal piece of trail that had no bumps, not even a big slope. An area our 2 year old will ride with her own bike.

We are in Middlemore hospital and I can't fault the service received here again. The only rediculous thing is the COVID restrictions. Layla can't come with. Now that he is in a ward I'm not really allowed in here either, only visitors for companionate reasons are really allowed (so when the patient is dying).

Eish, don't know what the recovery will look like yet. They are finishing up plastic surgery on his face now which was done under full anesthesia. What a tough few weeks for our little family. Can only go better now.

Sorry to hear this.

I hope the healing process goes well!

Actually you are incorrect.They are opening new trails on a regular basis.A lot of them are wilderness type of trails and tough and SAFE.

To one of the other comments regarding Ndedema,the smugglers have been using that route down to the valley for decades.We have never been troubled even when staying in Schoongezight where the pass hits the river.

BTW if anyone is interested,the Ndedema Valley holds some of the best examples of San art and it is worth your while to book a guide.

NZ has some magnificent long trails.Here is something to compete.

http://rimofafrica.co.za/#top

Booking a guide is not optional, and a guide is mandatory. Ndedema has been closed to the public since 1998 to protect the rock art and over security issues involving the poachers. 

Actually you are incorrect.They are opening new trails on a regular basis.A lot of them are wilderness type of trails and tough and SAFE.

To one of the other comments regarding Ndedema,the smugglers have been using that route down to the valley for decades.We have never been troubled even when staying in Schoongezight where the pass hits the river.

BTW if anyone is interested,the Ndedema Valley holds some of the best examples of San art and it is worth your while to book a guide.

NZ has some magnificent long trails.Here is something to compete.

http://rimofafrica.co.za/#top

Yeah, we used to have a family cottage between Champagne Castle Hotel and Monks Cowl forestry station. 

My grandfather built in the late '50's.

We eventually decided to give it up when the gate guard was AK47'd for the change in his box.

Folks we met here were attacked in their room in Champagne Castle Hotel. 

Hiking on the berg there hasn't been safe for a good long time.  

It's not the smugglers that are the problem (maybe) it's the opportunists looking for relatively easy pickings, which small parties in remote places are.

Edited by davetapson

Yeah, we used to have a family cottage between Champagne Castle Hotel and Monks Cowl forestry station. 

My grandfather built in the late '50's.

We eventually decided to give it up when the gate guard was AK47'd for the change in his box.

Folks we met here were attacked in their room in Champagne Castle Hotel. 

Hiking on the berg there hasn't been safe for a good long time.  

It's not the smugglers that are the problem (maybe) it's the opportunists looking for relatively easy pickings, which small parties in remote places are.

Well for all your naysaying we still go and we have not had our hearts ripped out and our bodies thrown down the cliff.

We went riding at Totara park again yesterday, a relaxing family cycle. Layla was with me on the MTB, her dad riding in front of us. We were going slow and still on the very gentle trails at the start. I came around the bend and there Thomas was lying on the ground, helmet off his head back to us. I put Layla down at my bike and went to look at what happend. He was lying unconscious. Blood everywhere. I started yelling for help, I didn't have my phone and at least the park was very busy. People came to help quickly, felt like the ambulance took for ever. He had to be carried quite far. Currently in hospital, a few broken vertebrae, very very bad deep cuts to his face, nose halfway teared off. Crazy! Crazy! That all this damage could happen on a normal piece of trail that had no bumps, not even a big slope. An area our 2 year old will ride with her own bike.

We are in Middlemore hospital and I can't fault the service received here again. The only rediculous thing is the COVID restrictions. Layla can't come with. Now that he is in a ward I'm not really allowed in here either, only visitors for companionate reasons are really allowed (so when the patient is dying).

Eish, don't know what the recovery will look like yet. They are finishing up plastic surgery on his face now which was done under full anesthesia. What a tough few weeks for our little family. Can only go better now.

Best wishes and a strong recovery!!!!

Well for all your naysaying we still go and we have not had our hearts ripped out and our bodies thrown down the cliff.

No, but you're playing odds.  

Like a doorman that I heard advising a tourist in Jhb "Yes, you should be safe, but I can't guarantee it..."

Past performance is no indication of future performance. Sort of joking. As someone else has said, you're playing the odds; they may be long or short but there's undeniably real risk.

No, but you're playing odds.

Like a doorman that I heard advising a tourist in Jhb "Yes, you should be safe, but I can't guarantee it..."

Perhaps you should stay in NZ.Much safer for you.

Just seen this. Sending positive vibes from this side of the world

You're finding this discussion difficult?

No

You will be pleased to know I am looking at a property in The Meadows Country Estate in Underberg.The most stunning views.

Edited by Kranswurm