New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

We are way off topic here talking about E-bikes, but I can't shake the feeling that they are going to be massive.

I remember connecting to the internet for the 1st time in around '92 - long before pretty much anybody knew what the internet was.  It was slow, clunky, expensive to get set up and had around a total of 50 websites.  But even then, I had the feeling that 'this' was going to be big.  Got the same feeling about ebikes....

I'll be converting a Scott Hardtail in a couple weeks for my wife so she can join me on some rides.  All in, it should be around $700...  (and that is for a slightly bigger than average battery).

Once people realize they don't have to spend thousands on a new bike and can convert their current bike, I'm pretty sure there will be an exponential increase in the number of e-bikes we see on the road.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be converting a Scott Hardtail in a couple weeks for my wife so she can join me on some rides.  All in, it should be around $700...  (and that is for a slightly bigger than average battery).

Once people realize they don't have to spend thousands on a new bike and can convert their current bike, I'm pretty sure there will be an exponential increase in the number of e-bikes we see on the road.

Got a link?

I havent looked at this thread in a while but thought its maybe time we got together for another drink. Looks like there are a few of us on the shore side so can maybe stay local??

Or maybe a ride sometime ??

Let me know if anyone is keen for either, but I do think an intervention is necessary for Dave and all this ebike talk. (Haha, my wife has an ebike and loves it)

Got a link?

Hey Dave

I don't have the link to actual supplier I bought mine from with me at the moment.  But a general Aliexpress link below for the search.  (I bought mine via Aliexpress with a shop that has USA distribution centers - received the items within 5 days)...

https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=bafang+motor+bbs02b+bbs02+48v+750w+mid+drive+motor&viewtype=&tab=

I got the 750w motor with 17 Amp hour battery.    Around $770.

For comparison the 2019 Spez Levo has a 250 w motor and around a 4 amp hour battery.

(I'm not saying this is better than the Levo - its merely for comparison).  The Levo is obviously lighter, more refined and a whole lot prettier.  

If you think it worthwhile, I'll take some photos during the install and post them to TheHub...

In the meantime, YouTube Bafang mid drive ebike motor conversion.  

Had some weird happening up at the top of Sunrise Rd near Rangi.  Cops all over the place, carrying pretty interesting looking tactical rifles.

All my dealings with NZ police have been with pleasant, polite, helpful and unthreatening individuals - this includes dialing 911 for a lost kid when said kid disappeared while walking home. (Got confused about the route home - took a turn that would have lead to our previous house and then none of the turns after that worked.)

So was interesting to see what the hard-core version looks like when it gets wheeled out.  Seems mostly plain-clothed, and heavily armed - and female (not mostly female, but there were some slight chicks carrying big gats. Thats 'gat' as in gun, not gat as in...)

I think there is an under-current to this society that is not that readily apparent.

Edited by davetapson

Hey Dave

I don't have the link to actual supplier I bought mine from with me at the moment.  But a general Aliexpress link below for the search.  (I bought mine via Aliexpress with a shop that has USA distribution centers - received the items within 5 days)...

https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=bafang+motor+bbs02b+bbs02+48v+750w+mid+drive+motor&viewtype=&tab=

I got the 750w motor with 17 Amp hour battery.    Around $770.

For comparison the 2019 Spez Levo has a 250 w motor and around a 4 amp hour battery.

(I'm not saying this is better than the Levo - its merely for comparison).  The Levo is obviously lighter, more refined and a whole lot prettier.  

If you think it worthwhile, I'll take some photos during the install and post them to TheHub...

In the meantime, YouTube Bafang mid drive ebike motor conversion.  

One of my colleagues did this Bafang conversion to his old Giant to use as a commuter. I took it for a spin and it's very refined and has oodles of power. It has brake sensors and all the tech factory ebikes seem to come with and the power comes on so smoothly. Cost him around AU$1000 all done. 

Got my first dose of the vaccine a week ago. They're rolling them out to hospital staff very methodically.

I was pretty impressed and can see why such a thorough process may take some time.

Some of my colleagues suffered from the reportedly common post vaccine "flu like" symptoms or fatigue. I didn't have any adverse reactions. My immune response must be terrible :lol:

Hey guys. I'm fresh off the boat from Joburg & staying on the Northshore. Need to find someone to show me around some of the riding spots. MTB & road. Clippies I see you in the area. Would be keen to buy you a beer sometime if you like

Hey guys. I'm fresh off the boat from Joburg & staying on the Northshore. Need to find someone to show me around some of the riding spots. MTB & road. Clippies I see you in the area. Would be keen to buy you a beer sometime if you like

Welcome Kenneth!

Where on the Shore are you staying?

There are a number of us (myself included) on the Shore (Saffer genetics draw us to Browns Bay, despite how much we resist :lol:)

fresh meat!!!

I am also on the shore. Silverdale. Where you at Kenneth?

Hey Kenneth - just head off down Beach Road Northwards until you see the turn off for Long Bay Regional Park (Google Peter Blake Marine Education centre, that's the road), take a left accross the bridge into the park then head through the park on the road, to the boom gate, through that, look for a turn on a walking path to the left, follow that - will take you into the park - not rough MTB, but got some nice up and downs and beautiful.

On the track, take the 100 acre wood loop to the left - it will bring you back onto the track but adds a bit off off road. 

The path will take you to the Okura River Mouth which is turnaround point.

It's a nice ride from RB and doesn't require driving to Woodhill.

The other nice ride is straight down Beach Road the other way to Devonport.  

There are some nice tracks across bridges etc, not MTB, but pretty entertaining.

If you have Strava I'll point you to one of my tracks so you can see the route.

I'm a bit busy this weekend, and unfit, so riding with me would not be a huge amount of fun.

Can point you to some folk who ride Saturdays, but they've all moved to eBikes, unless you have one?  Ebikes with them doesn't = gentle ride.

And if you feeling strong, you just combine them. 

Would be approx 60km with more ascent than you could feasibly find in Gauteng...