New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

2 hours ago, davetapson said:

Doesn't seem to serious - 4.2.

We were camping in Rotorua in Jan when the 5.1 or whatever quake hit - lying on the ground during an earth quake is a visceral experience to say the least.

There was no (or very little) damage in that, so one would assume that whatever was gong to fall over in a 4.2 quake in CC would have already fallen over in previous quakes?

Ummm...the rain and flooding...

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, hayleyearth said:

Ummm...the rain and flooding...

Ah, maybe I should listen to the radio or something...

Edited by davetapson

On 6/1/2021 at 8:11 AM, hayleyearth said:

Christchurch..... urgh, we have flights down for this weekend.

Anyone know how bad it is in town itself and towards Akaroa etc?

Sorry, a bit late now but Christchurch and Akaroa were fine this past week (and I think the weekend too).

We were there Wednesday - Friday. Weather was amazing, floods cleared off the roads. No real issues.

Some pics from Akaroa last week...

BB51604B-0DA3-4C4D-A98D-758E1D3E5C0F.jpeg.fb647e7266ff24d8766a1dec7687460f.jpeg

82286C04-B1AD-4131-98E3-76AD49820A6B.jpeg.62f8f6403e6ad1a50cea7e85fa0d68e5.jpeg

D359E6D5-1B7B-4F74-A1E6-9A14967CDADB.jpeg.3daa757ae80d94d4befba70202bbc738.jpeg

Warning, the following pics may trigger jealous jaffas ????

Currently down in Queenstown...

757AA9DF-B2F0-483B-A2E9-56926DE92D8E.jpeg.ad3359574a796f0322219731ca3a8baf.jpeg

Remarkables in the morning from the AirBnB

D15EC39A-01A9-4443-836C-3CDF895A293C.jpeg.df1cdc319aeaa596d368b9a79e10af5c.jpeg

Remarkables at dusk as the Luma festival starts up for the evening.

13BB166A-848E-4DD1-9C5C-930813DE3728.jpeg.8bc135b29183c8500e8599774135898e.jpeg

One of the forest exhibits at the Luma festival.

Hello All

My wife and I have been toying with the idea of moving to NZ for a while now. Long story short - our timing was a little off with the whole pandemic thing, but we’re “slowly” getting everything together and will hopefully be joining the expat list sooner rather than later.

I guess I’m giving a little “heads up”. Apparently networking is the name of the game, so I’m starting off in the hobby forum.

Any stories / advice you can share is welcome. Visa sponsored jobs even more so ????

Hi guys, planning to do the cycle challenge round the lake. Its in Nov.

Any experience with the 160km? 

any recommendations for accomodation? Maybe will take the fam down and take a extra 2 or 3 days to see the area.

11 hours ago, 475 said:

Hello All

My wife and I have been toying with the idea of moving to NZ for a while now...

Any stories / advice you can share is welcome. Visa sponsored jobs even more so ????

Don't pay an agent, unless you have quite unusual circumstances. It is clear enough for you to do everything yourself. Get your passports and birth certificates as soon as possible. Freshen up your Linkedin profile and reach out to companies and people in NZ.

We found out this morning that we are going to have a baby boy ????

Both dad and I wanted another girl, but I guess this will bring a new dynamic to the family. And we were bargaining on passing down all her cool clothes (like winter jackets and snow clothes) but now we have to go buy new things... Eish.

So can anyone mention something where they found boys are nicer to have that girls? Layla has set the bar high unfortunately. ????

Congratulations! 

Just different.  You know your nice, well behaved child?  Yeah, not that.  But will be a lot of fun... and tiring.

What you will learn straight away is that this garbage about unisex this unisex that just ain't the way boys and girls work.  Boys are boys, girls are girls.

Enjoy...

1 hour ago, arabsandals said:

Don't pay an agent, unless you have quite unusual circumstances. It is clear enough for you to do everything yourself. Get your passports and birth certificates as soon as possible. Freshen up your Linkedin profile and reach out to companies and people in NZ.

We used an agent, would do it again.

Like the man says, if it's simple (you're young, few jobs, few complications, job is easy for IRD to understand), yeah, sure. 

If you're not, get the agent.  The agent knows what to say.

Edited by davetapson

you guys are making me jealous....

we were planning to move to nz, a couple of years ago. but we didn't push through looking for jobs..

maybe we should start looking again, now that job demand has risen by around 20% in nz

23 minutes ago, Matthew du preez said:

maybe we should start looking again, now that job demand has risen by around 20% in nz

With constrained travel for the intermediate future, demand should rise. I.e. the working holiday type workers will have completely dried up and so will have some other reservoirs. For the skilled and professionals in demand, it's probably going to be an opportunity.

Thanks for the input everyone ????

We're mid 30's, so don't think age should be a problem yet. I'm in IT (I see lots of positions available on LinkedIn) and my wife is a GP. So far it looks like she will struggle a bit more as she has exams etc to complete before she can start looking for work. This process is also not that straight forward (unless we are over complicating it).

I'll get cracking on the documentation and start reaching out to companies and people.

22 minutes ago, 475 said:

Thanks for the input everyone ????

We're mid 30's, so don't think age should be a problem yet. I'm in IT (I see lots of positions available on LinkedIn) and my wife is a GP. So far it looks like she will struggle a bit more as she has exams etc to complete before she can start looking for work. This process is also not that straight forward (unless we are over complicating it).

I'll get cracking on the documentation and start reaching out to companies and people.

As someone who is currently in the middle of a move, also delayed due to covid, I would highly recommend using an agent.
They are changing the rules ALL the time.
You now have to be employed by an accredited employer for example, this was not the case 18 months ago.
They are merging certain visa catagories, narrowing the pathways to residency, etc.
Just my view on the matter, as someone in the middle of it all.

39 minutes ago, Chris_ said:

Well done ya knobs...

Now if just one of your companies would start hiring foreigners (this foreigner to be exact) we'd be peachy.

Capture.JPG.a3bc353eb931ab70a9f377f26ab05348.JPG

Us BrisVegans just squeaked into the top 10 over here, the poor second cousins of the antipodes. I might just have to binge-eat some reasonably priced tropical fruit to console myself....????