New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

15 hours ago, Slowbee said:

Because of the NZ biosecurity bubble we are not allowed into any shops. From the moment we land we are kept in a "bubble". Even moving through border control. We go straight from border control  onto a bus for 14 day isloation. No shopping allowed, it is you and your carry on. They even go so far as to drop your luggage off for you your hotel. The FB pages say you get given a sim card, but if I could get one before we land, that would be great.

Would one guys be prepared to send a sim card in exchange for a few cold ones ? I would re imburse you so you are not out of pocket.

Yeah, I figured with the current situation they would whisk you away to your hotel without seeing much of the airport.

Not to fear though. Wayne sounds like he has you sorted, plus I believe one can do certain online shopping (like from Countdown supermarket) and the MIQ staff will get it to you. With the absence RICA requirements, buying a sim from a supermarket should get one up and running. 

If you're at the Novatel or Sudima then then the staff may even organise supply runs to Countdown for you (it's like 200m down the road from those hotels).

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bad...

it's no secret that groceries in NZ are significantly more expensive when compared to Aus (won't even try compare to SA).

Just look at current prices of produce like cucumbers (around $6ea) and red peppers (around $4ea).

So it's no surprise that some of the wealthiest kiwis are supermarket owners. The owner of my local Pak n Save is reportedly worth over $60M.

On the positive side, the alarm bells have been ringing and the Commerce Commission has released their draft findings.

The just of it is that NZ is at the mercy of a duopoly, Foodstuffs and Woolworths (formerly Progressive Foods, and no relation to Woolies in SA).

I guess the challenge is, who is willing to step in to even things out? I believe Aldi isn't interested (that would have been my preference. Love the magic that can be found in that middle aisle). Perhaps Coles might be on the cards?

Edited by patches

3 hours ago, patches said:

The bad...

it's no secret that groceries in NZ are significantly more expensive when compared to Aus (won't even try compare to SA).

Just look at current prices of produce like cucumbers (around $6ea) and red peppers (around $4ea).

So it's no surprise that some of the wealthiest kiwis are supermarket owners. The owner of my local Pak n Save is reportedly worth over $60M.

On the positive side, the alarm bells have been ringing and the Commerce Commission has released their draft findings.

The just of it is that NZ is at the mercy of a duopoly, Foodstuffs and Woolworths (formerly Progressive Foods, and no relation to Woolies in SA).

I guess the challenge is, who is willing to step in to even things out? I believe Aldi isn't interested (that would have been my preference. Love the magic that can be found in that middle aisle). Perhaps Coles might be on the cards?

I wonder if Costco will have a grocery division?

10 hours ago, patches said:

The bad...

What is the "home grown" market like ? Sort of the organic non commercial space. People who grow their own veggies from home or on small land areas?

I fully realise this might be fantasy, but one of the things I am hoping to change is eating better. Now of course NZ is an small land mass, but would be great to get all the supplies from within a 50km radius. And of course organic.
In CT have the Philipi farms and Zetlers and a whole bunch of others getting fresh produce is relatively easy. But getting fresh organic stuff is more tricky and more pricey.

Like the veggie thread on the hub, is growing veggies at home a thing in NZ ?

1 hour ago, Slowbee said:

What is the "home grown" market like ? Sort of the organic non commercial space. People who grow their own veggies from home or on small land areas?

I fully realise this might be fantasy, but one of the things I am hoping to change is eating better. Now of course NZ is an small land mass, but would be great to get all the supplies from within a 50km radius. And of course organic.
In CT have the Philipi farms and Zetlers and a whole bunch of others getting fresh produce is relatively easy. But getting fresh organic stuff is more tricky and more pricey.

You won't need to water it.......

15 hours ago, Slowbee said:

Local community "farmers" markets are really popular. Matakana, Clevedon, Avondale, and the French Market (Parnell) are popular ones in and around Auckland.

In Christchurch your best bet will be the Riccarton farmers market. There are likely others, especially as you explore areas like Oxford, Sheffield etc (great pie shops there BTW).

Kiwis love the locally sourced, home grown, organic, artisanal ethos, so finding produce meeting those criteria shouldn't be too hard.

As for growing your own, we grow some veggies and herbs in planter boxes on our deck. Zucchini, eggplant, snap peas, etc. A number of people I know grow their own stuff too.

As I'm guessing you'll be renting when your first move over, you'll likely have to check with the landlord if it's ok. Good thing is, in Christchurch you're likely to find rentals with more space for cheaper than in Auckland.

Another option is community gardens. There are a few in Christchurch. If I recall correctly even some on the red zone (where earthquake damaged houses were removed and nature reclaimed the land). Some are also used as community support or education for those with mental or psychological challenges. 

Oh yes, any chance one of you can create me a trademe profile ?

Despite having a VPN the system wont let me past the "click through".

There are one or two items we (I) am considering buying before we get there. Electronics are really cheap compared to here. Yes Yes, irresponsible and all that jazz. What is that I hear .... n+1 ....

22 hours ago, Slowbee said:

Oh yes, any chance one of you can create me a trademe profile ?

Despite having a VPN the system wont let me past the "click through".

There are one or two items we (I) am considering buying before we get there. Electronics are really cheap compared to here. Yes Yes, irresponsible and all that jazz. What is that I hear .... n+1 ....

Yep, check DM's / PM's whatever they're called.

Re the sim card, dunno if duty free is a thing still, but you used to be able to pick them up on the way through the airport with no rica'ring etc.  

I got a month one, converted it to proper contract at the end of the month.

There's an MIQ hotel on the Viaduct - I figure if you're going to be locked up, why not there and enjoy the passing parade.

Went past onetime and the inmates looked so bitter I was tempted to take a pic.  Decided it might be deemed too cruel so didn't ????

But did feel like throwing them a banana or a beer or something....

Another bad/sad - the fruit (apart from the climate appropriate types like Apples, which are insanely delicious) the fruit (naartjies) and veg (tomatoes) just look slightly sad, like they haven't seen quite enough sun to blast them to full ripeness. 

Saw Kris Faafoi (Minister of Immigration) on the TV this morning getting some flak from John Campbell.

His responses were wishy-washy and inconclusive.

He acknowledged NZ's dependency on migrant labour (skilled and unskilled), but there's no plan to better address the 12,000+ Skilled Migrant Visa Expressions of Interest from applicant currently in NZ! Yes, that's right, that doesn't even account for the people stuck outside NZ trying to get things sorted.

Also worth keeping in mind is that the applicants on shore pose ZERO covid risk.

He cited a lack of capacity in processing these EOI's and attributed it to the increase in critical purpose visas. But with the suspension of Parental Resident and many other visa classes, the overall volume of applications is surely less than pre-covid, so any lack of capacity is an issue on the ministry's end.

INZ is a shambles and the leadership are a bunch of wet blankets.

*Rant over*

5 hours ago, patches said:

Saw Kris Faafoi (Minister of Immigration) on the TV this morning getting some flak from John Campbell.

He acknowledged NZ's dependency on migrant labour (skilled and unskilled), but there's no plan to better address the 12,000+ Skilled Migrant Visa Expressions of Interest from applicant currently in NZ! Yes, that's right, that doesn't even account for the people stuck outside NZ trying to get things sorted.

Also worth keeping in mind is that the applicants on shore pose ZERO covid risk.

He cited a lack of capacity in processing these EOI's and attributed it to the increase in critical purpose visas. But with the suspension of Parental Resident and many other visa classes, the overall volume of applications is surely less than pre-covid, so any lack of capacity is an issue on the ministry's end.

*Rant over*

It absolutely is a mess.

Did you read the story about the bad advice that was given from INZ to some SAFFA dude in Dunedin that ended up costing him his job and income?

7 hours ago, patches said:

*Rant over*

Politics, I see national saying they will clear the backlog if voted in.

Also interesting, the blame the backlog on offshore centres being closed/affected BUT all EOI's are processed onshore.
They openly acknowledge migrants are important but behind closed doors and writing policies, very different.
Last week a crowd of over 2000 migrants waiting outside of parliament for Adern, she chose to sneak out the backdoor and not address them.
Very sad, big skills drain happening where people are just moving elsewhere or leaving NZ because they have not seen their family, some for more than 2yrs!!

They did a lot of processing in Beijing. My parents visa got cocked up there and then they (INZ Beijing) just disappeared, citing some virus.   Haven't heard anything since.

But for a week my parents would still be riding out covid here rather then there. I'll tell you which they'd prefer.

Applied for Permanent Residence on 7 July, heard nothing so far.

A couple of pics from Countdown half an hour ago, just to give you Saffas a heart attack...

20210805_180446.jpg.f5d0208015c86f55cf757f432986d437.jpg

20210805_180552.jpg

Edited by davetapson