New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

4 hours ago, Slowbee said:

How you guys feeling about the country wide lockdown for 1, yes 1 case ?

What is the general sentiment ?

General sentiment seems to be pretty positive. NZ has been watching what has been happening in NSW and it terrifies us. They're in their 8th/9th week of lockdown, I believe.

This morning they interviewed Judith Collins (the leader of the opposition) and even she agreed with the approach. She did have a dig at the low vaccination rates and she's not entirely wrong, but the "go hard and early" approach seems to have the backing of the people (or at least the ones I speak to).

There are now 5 cases in the community. One is a co-worker linked to the fist and the other 3 are linked to that one. One of the cases is a nurse at the Auckland City Hospital (my place of work). She is fully vaccinated so hopefully she was less contagious. We received an email last night notifying staff of the infected healthcare worker and some additional details. Fortunately I spend most of my time offsite and our campus is huge so I'm low risk.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Slowbee said:

Totally support it.

From watching the entire world, 1 case can become thousands if people are slow to react.

Personally, Id rather have a shorter sharper lockdown then a long drawn out one with people dying.

Edited by Wayne Potgieter

6 hours ago, Slowbee said:

/S = ON

Slowbee- did you not get the memo from Matt & Admin ? You're gonna get this thread locked up by using the C word and bringing up current events (a double no-no)- and then where are we "when-we's" of the good old hub days meant to go? 

/S = OFF

1 hour ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

Totally support it.

From watching the entire world, 1 case can become thousands if people are slow to react.

Personally, Id rather have a shorter sharper lockdown then a long drawn out one with people dying.

Spot on. Look at the different approaches NSW and QLD took, and the outcomes. The only way to contain the Delta variant for now is a hard, fast lockdown.

This thread is so far buried in the forum that it wont pop up that easily on main chat. It wont take away from the cycling aspect of the site. And besides, if one does not take advantage of certain powers one has then whats the point ????? (As the ex sheriff would say it could be considered bias).

I am also on the motorhome home group of NZ (????) and like you guys the general sentiment is one of support. Even on the MIQ FB page it is positive about the lockdown, not the booking system. Ex pats are turning slightly xenophobic in desperation to get booking slots on MIQ (there is calls for NZ passport holders to be given priority).

It is incredible what can be achieved when the general public agree with and hence comply with what the government is trying to achieve. In contrast to so many places where the public just did what they wanted anyway.  However, I do hope they change their minds about residency visa's by the time we get there.  The 16th cannot come fast enough.  And I really hope they do not cancel flights into NZ.

13 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Read that on the BBC. Wait n see if it is the correct path and open after all have been vaccinated. 

Yeah because the vaccine is so efficient that you can't get it, or transmit it, or die if you got it right................

1 hour ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Yeah because the vaccine is so efficient that you can't get it, or transmit it, or die if you got it right................

Well at some point Nz will need to open up. Only then will we have the data to see if it was the right approach. Until then it’s all conjecture. Could be the perfect approach. Might be the worst possible approach. Time will tell. 

very few countries would have been able to implement this approach anyway. If it has the support of the ppl then happy days. 

ummm we can let a few posts slide, but not many... *cough cough*

Yes I know, my fault for starting, but just wanted to ask how the people on the ground felt as opposed to opinions on the strategy.

19 hours ago, Slowbee said:

That's how they roll down there. Different evolutionary pathways. No wonder the animals are so different. 

6 hours ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

No-one ever made that claim

5 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Well at some point Nz will need to open up. Only then will we have the data to see if it was the right approach. Until then it’s all conjecture. Could be the perfect approach. Might be the worst possible approach. Time will tell. 

very few countries would have been able to implement this approach anyway. If it has the support of the ppl then happy days. 

The governments approach has always been to try and get the entire population vaccinated before re-opening. That could take a very long time.
Then consider that research seems to show that the vaccine is ineffective against the new Lambda variant from Peru......
After this post I won't comment more on the "C" topic, will derail a good thread unnecessarily. 

1 hour ago, MTBeer said:

No-one ever made that claim

So if it does not do that then why do it. To be responsible?
In fact people who have survived pre vaccination infection are dying, not to mention the side effects.
I am no anti-vaxxer, have had all the shots needed to travel into deep Africa but the science is sketchy for little to no reward.
Read this as a start, have a friend with an uncle perfectly healthy who is suffering:
https://www.openaccessjournals.com/articles/are-subdeltoid-bursitis-and-polymyalgia-rheumatica-preferances-of-covid19-vaccine-14563.html

Would you look at that weather...

*subtle topic change attempt* ????

But really, Auckland has had some really annoying weather lately.

Windy, spats of rain and even hail yesterday.

On Saturday and Sunday I was trying to do some woodwork. This involved wheeling a myriad of tools out of the garage into the courtyard and setting up (garage too small to setup in).

I got about 15min into it before it would start drizzling. I then packed up everything, wheeled it back into the garage and waited it out.

5min later the sun was shining as if nothing had ever happened. So I set up again.

Rinse and repeat 3x and eventually I gave yup in frustration.

Man I need a bigger garage!

2 hours ago, patches said:

Would you look at that weather...

*subtle topic change attempt* ????

But really, Auckland has had some really annoying weather lately.

Windy, spats of rain and even hail yesterday.

On Saturday and Sunday I was trying to do some woodwork. This involved wheeling a myriad of tools out of the garage into the courtyard and setting up (garage too small to setup in).

I got about 15min into it before it would start drizzling. I then packed up everything, wheeled it back into the garage and waited it out.

5min later the sun was shining as if nothing had ever happened. So I set up again.

Rinse and repeat 3x and eventually I gave yup in frustration.

Man I need a bigger garage!

I thought that was pretty typical weather from my grand total of 2 weeks in the country (in a November if I remember right). Not 4 seasons in a day, but 4 in an hour.

Because we are on a critical purpose visa, valid for 12 months, we are busy with the "what to declare" process.

In terms of what came over on the plane with you, what items did you guys declare ? Last thing I want is  NZ$400 fine for "not knowing". Watching border patrol on DSTV has my knees terrified.