New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

46 minutes ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

I am a total coffee snob, so be prepared for an outlandish reply.

Nespresso sucks. I cannot stand it. We have a Breville Oracle machine at home and have our beans delivered to the house on a subscription service, Now this has ruined ALL coffee for us when we travel, but thankfully suits really well in lockdowns. It has become such a problem, that when we last whent on holiday in easter, we took the machine with us. 

Haahaha - we did the same - camping!

But, even in the face of earning everlasting scorn, the guy we get coffee from also packages it in pods and we chuck them in the Nespresso.

Who do you get your coffee from?

Edit: damn, that machine looks like something else.

Edited by davetapson

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, davetapson said:

Haahaha - we did the same - camping!

But, even in the face of earning everlasting scorn, the guy we get coffee from also packages it in pods and we chuck them in the Nespresso.

Who do you get your coffee from?

Edit: damn, that machine looks like something else.

Life is too short for bad coffee

• 3 weeks later...

338240377_WhatsAppImage2021-09-26at09_12.54_resize_2.jpeg.9457916d601af5bc98e984ebbf568a40.jpeg

The outside area, which we can use for 30 minutes everyday. And we share it with 6 other people. You are not allowed to stop moving so the photo was taken while moving.

We are in the Grand Mercure.

20 hours ago, Slowbee said:

1231082549_WhatsAppImage2021-09-26at12_06.48_resize.jpeg.2d97235d4b011b8565755d127d8cdb4d.jpeg

A view towards the other side of the deck for a reflected morning sunrise. Something deeply poetic about that.

One thing is clear, there is plenty of building going on in Auckland city centre.

Nice!

I used to work in that Jarden building (back when it was called the Zurich building).

9the floor, initially on the left corner Great views up Queens street. Caught some pictures of the 2017 Americas Cup victory parade. Then I was on the opposite side, watching that monstrous PWC building being constructed.

Anyway, enough reminiscing, hope your MIQ stay is treating you well. How many days in are you?

7 hours ago, patches said:

Nice!

I used to work in that Jarden building (back when it was called the Zurich building).

9the floor, initially on the left corner Great views up Queens street. Caught some pictures of the 2017 Americas Cup victory parade. Then I was on the opposite side, watching that monstrous PWC building being constructed.

Anyway, enough reminiscing, hope your MIQ stay is treating you well. How many days in are you?

We are day 9.

5 left.

But as I tell the MoD staff, we are loving this MIQ. It is allowing us lots of time to get ducks in a row. Visa's, banking, (already rented a house), hiring a motorhome to drive south and see a bit of this place.

We are allowed to leave the building at 09H55, on Saturday. Not a minute earlier. We have the choice of getting transport from the hotel, or go to the airport.

We can use the family room, which faces Customs Street. We can see a coffee shop across the road. First thing I want to do when we get out is walk across the road and buy a 'chino!

5 hours ago, Slowbee said:

We are day 9.

5 left.

But as I tell the MoD staff, we are loving this MIQ. It is allowing us lots of time to get ducks in a row. Visa's, banking, (already rented a house), hiring a motorhome to drive south and see a bit of this place.

We are allowed to leave the building at 09H55, on Saturday. Not a minute earlier. We have the choice of getting transport from the hotel, or go to the airport.

We can use the family room, which faces Customs Street. We can see a coffee shop across the road. First thing I want to do when we get out is walk across the road and buy a 'chino!

Chino's are so 1992, how about a pair of jeans or something :P

9 hours ago, Hairy said:

Chino's are so 1992, how about a pair of jeans or something :P

I will be in my little rowing boat on my way home should the coffee barista serve me blue jeans instead of chino's.

Of topic though. I was desperate, so I called for a 'chino from the hotel. They put chocolate powder sprinkles on the foam. What is up with that ?!

2 hours ago, Slowbee said:

I will be in my little rowing boat on my way home should the coffee barista serve me blue jeans instead of chino's.

Of topic though. I was desperate, so I called for a 'chino from the hotel. They put chocolate powder sprinkles on the foam. What is up with that ?!

That reminds me.

We used to do our morning commute coffee at Truth when they started out on the intersection of Buitengracht and Somerset Road at the Prestwich Memorial.

This dude pitches up on his scooter, proceeds to take off all his rather copy/paste paraphernalia and then asks the barista for his coffee. Then he proceeds to lecture the barista on how to make the perfect coffee and calls for his milk to be frothed in a certain way with a certain amount of time that it has to be poured into his cup. Acting all pro.

Then this dude says to the barista "Where are your sprinkles" .................... that was the last straw for him, you could see his heart sink and finally give in to this pro. He shuffled around to find it in the back, gave it to him and walked away in disgust.

This dude also looked and acted like his mother dresses him in the morning.

Long story short, that used to be a good running joke with the barista afterwards. 

8 hours ago, Hairy said:

.............This dude also looked and acted like his mother dresses him in the morning...............

I'm going to borrow that from you every once in a while.............it is a GOOD put-down!????

15 hours ago, DJR said:

@Slowbee

Best of luck with the adventure! ???? 

Thanks DJR.

Do not be fooled by my comments. It has not been easy, but we are hanging in.

Our day 12 Covid test done and dusted.

Had to use a whole lot of pre-meds to get our daughter through this one. 

The staff were amazing in helping us. Really patient. Just a bit sad that the nurse was a bit harsh on her.

But sheesh, it is incredible how kids can be inspirational. Despite her fear and anxiety and tears and crying, she new she had to do it, And she did it. Amazing to see her overcome her fear and do what needs to be done.  Now there a re a few things that need to be done that I have been avoiding. Like paying bills.

10 hours ago, Slowbee said:

Now there a re a few things that need to be done that I have been avoiding. Like paying bills.

To paraphrase the Smash Mouth All Star song when it comes to relocation to this side of the world; 

"Well the years bills start coming and they don't stop coming........"

Good work on getting through MIQ so far.

On 9/29/2021 at 9:36 AM, Slowbee said:

Also, calling davetapson! Need your # dude.

Sorry - check your messages...

You're out now, you still in AKL?