New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

On 10/26/2021 at 8:23 AM, Frosty said:

Half eaten lamb chop ????

You made me go look. I didn't realise they were so far south... 40 degrees south at the northern point of the north island.

Trust me, you can always feel a touch of the South Pole in the wind... it's just not that far away...

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/1/2021 at 10:52 AM, Wayne Potgieter said:

Regardless of the message in this video, the BUZZ.NZ is a right wing anti vaxx nuthouse filled with covid deniers and ill informed narratives. A simple browse through their website makes my feel ill and I want to rub my screen with disinfectant.

I am all for critical thought and holding a government accountable for its failures. But using anything on that site is silly.

Take a look at the "who we follow" section of the website and it is quite literally a list of the WORST places on the internet to get information.

Soon as you see people looking so earnest talking such crap, you got to roll your eyes.  That goes for both sides of all arguments.

Thanks for the warning not to waste some of my life following that rabbit hole.

On 11/3/2021 at 8:17 AM, hayleyearth said:

I'm so over this lockdown! 

I want to be let free now!

Not just to leave Auckland but to be able to have family here and to travel overseas too!! 

We're more vaccinated than probably anywhere.

It's time to let the vaccinations do their job, while the immune effect is still strong.

1 minute ago, davetapson said:

Soon as you see people looking so earnest talking such crap, you got to roll your eyes.  That goes for both sides of all arguments.

Thanks for the warning not to waste some of my life following that rabbit hole.

No problemo.

I am all for making informed choices and having a critical mindset, but not all sources of information are created equal. 

7 minutes ago, davetapson said:

Trust me, you can always feel a touch of the South Pole in the wind... it's just not that far away...

That was something we learnt very early on. The daily temp means nothing in NZ. You have to look at the wind direction and speed. If its a Westerly or Southwerly wind, you are going to need an extra layer....

That wind has ice on it.

On 11/2/2021 at 9:17 PM, hayleyearth said:

Not just to leave Auckland but to be able to have family here and to travel overseas too!! 

Read on an MP's FB page just yesterday that they are talking about vouchers, to allow people to have slots over December to leave Auckland.
I would not expect the lockdown to be going anywhere anytime soon. Unfortunately.

On 11/2/2021 at 9:17 PM, hayleyearth said:

Read on an MP's FB page just yesterday that they are talking about vouchers, to allow people to have slots over December to leave Auckland.
I would not expect the lockdown to be going anywhere anytime soon. Unfortunately.
May be an image of text that says 'RNZ @radionz #BREAKING Covid-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins told @CheckpointRNZ the government is considering the option that Aucklanders have an allocated time slot to leave the region over the summer holidays.'

• 2 weeks later...

If ya folk have any event coming up and need drinks at a discounted rate let me know :)

I now work for LionCo and we have a 'friends and family' discount system, we also get other great deals along the way.

Excited about my new role as it covers mechanical, construction and software technologies and across all the different brands and sites which makes up Lion in NZ. 

What I have come to learn in New Zealand is there are MANY different places for an engineer to work.

On 11/19/2021 at 3:37 PM, hayleyearth said:

If ya folk have any event coming up and need drinks at a discounted rate let me know :)

I now work for LionCo and we have a 'friends and family' discount system, we also get other great deals along the way.

Excited about my new role as it covers mechanical, construction and software technologies and across all the different brands and sites which makes up Lion in NZ. 

What I have come to learn in New Zealand is there are MANY different places for an engineer to work.

Funny how things work...

A while ago I was working for the breweries and you were working in healthcare, now it's the other way around.

I still miss the utilities & process engineering side of things, and would seriously consider getting back into it. 

It would be interesting to know the difference in scale between the SA industry (obviously dominated by SAB/AB-Inbev) and NZ.

Like SAB were building "starter" breweries in smaller African countries like Botwswana and Namibia, and a "starter" brewery was 500,000 HL/year. I think The bigger breweries in SA (Alrode and Rosslyn) are over 6 million HL/year, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, best of luck in the new role, and if you ever need some Saffers with experience working for the breweries, I know of at least 3 who made it over to Auckland :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2021 at 9:12 PM, Wayne Potgieter said:

The open water swimming bug has bitten.

There is something special about early morning swims in the sea as the sun is rising. Really good for the spirit!

I see a triathlon or 2 in your future 🔮 😁

9 hours ago, davetapson said:

Ha - Santa tells me he has put a Blue 70 wetsuit in his sack for me... maybe we'll meet up at a race...

Its not like we live that far from each other.

Keen for an early morning swim sometime?

• 2 weeks later...

image.png.47e559e2cb516fb9c06de572db3a0b46.png

Love how the Herald makes this seem like some form of refugee exodus :lol:

Isn't this the scene nearly every year?!

Aucklanders are like the Vaalies of NZ... only difference being is that Vaalies are landlocked so their obsession with the seaside is understandable 😅

*said as both an ex-Vaalie and a current Aucklander*

But anyway, who here is planning their escape from Aukkies this holiday season?

It's South Island for us! Fly to Chch then road trip our way down to Fjordland and Southland.

Edited by patches

5 hours ago, patches said:

image.png.47e559e2cb516fb9c06de572db3a0b46.png

Love how the Herald makes this seem like some form of refugee exodus :lol:

Isn't this the scene nearly every year?!

Aucklanders are like the Vaalies of NZ... only difference being is that Vaalies are landlocked so their obsession with the seaside is understandable 😅

*said as both an ex-Vaalie and a current Aucklander*

But anyway, who here is planning their escape from Aukkies this holiday season?

It's South Island for us! Fly to Chch then road trip our way down to Fjordland and Southland.

We are not going far, just Omokoroa for 6 days then Mt Manganui for another 6 days.

Our little man is only 2 months so we won't be camping this year, something we really love to do but now need a bigger tent, our are only 1.9mx2m... Not enough for 4 people 😅

IMG-20211212-WA0000.jpg